WSP Sale

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never said that homogenized palm oil was necessarily hydrogenated.
Liquid oil is hydrogenated to make it solid. The simple definition for shortening is that it is solid at room temperature. With palm oil, I guess it depends what temperature you keep your room whether you can call it shortening!

So here’s a question. What do y’all think the best way for me to split my cube would be? I’m thinking maybe just a Rubbermaid of some sort? I’m gonna have palm coming out of my nose lol

I chunk up my cubes and put it in 5 gallon buckets. Mine are re-purposed buckets that my oils come in, but Home Depot carries 5 gallon buckets pretty cheap. Best way I can avoid melting problems
This is what I purchase and I really do not care if it is homogenized, hydrogenated or whatever, it is 100% palm works great and is $28 for 50 lbs. It is going in wash off soap...

20180925_132807.jpg

Last edited:
I got 44lbs of shea butter, so I put it in an empty (cleaned) bucket that my 50lbs of coconut oil came in. I had to chunk it up to get it in the bucket, but it does make it easier for measuring!

Got mine split off into a Rubbermaid and an old lard container. The mailman of course came to the door as I was elbow deep in my cube...I’m sure I looked like a crazy woman!!

I got 44lbs of shea butter, so I put it in an empty (cleaned) bucket that my 50lbs of coconut oil came in. I had to chunk it up to get it in the bucket, but it does make it easier for measuring!

May I ask who your shea butter supplier is; and are you happy with their pricing?

I chunk up my cubes and put it in 5 gallon buckets. Mine are re-purposed buckets that my oils come in, but Home Depot carries 5 gallon buckets pretty cheap. Best way I can avoid melting problems
This is what I purchase and I really do not care if it is homogenized, hydrogenated or whatever, it is 100% palm works great and is $28 for 50 lbs. It is going in wash off soap...

View attachment 32210
Where do you buy that ? It is a store brand ? just curious, great price for California

Palm oil (RBD) is made from the Fruit of the palm flesh and PKO is made from the Kernel (or nut) of that fruit.

So same fruit

Last edited:
I’m new to using palm oil and unsure which is best for soaps. Can some one explain the difference between the palm kernel flakes, no stir palm oil, and what is the red palm oil-can that also be used in soap? Thanks in advance for your help.

I’m new to using palm oil and unsure which is best for soaps. Can some one explain the difference between the palm kernel flakes, no stir palm oil, and what is the red palm oil-can that also be used in soap? Thanks in advance for your help.

Palm oil is great to use in a high amount, you can also use lard or tallow. Lends hardness and creaminess to the soap.

Palm Kernel Flakes is what give lather and bubbles. It’s generally used in conjunction with coconut or alone. babbasu does the same.

Red Palm can be used but only in a small amount as it will turn your soap a bright yellow/orange and can transfer to your scrubbie or washcloth.

No stir palm or regular Palm are the same but no stir won’t separate like regular Palm can if it gets too warm. You just need to be sure to stir it well before using.

May I ask who your shea butter supplier is; and are you happy with their pricing?

I got this from jedwards by Lin19687's recommendation. It's nice stuff! The shipping was a bit high, I think $55, but even with shipping it came out to be the better deal compared to Soapers Choice and ED (compared both with shipping). 44# is more than I'll reasonably use in a year (unless my business suddenly decides to 3x itself) so I did sell 10# on FB at $5 per lb, which pretty much paid for the shipping for me and still left me with 34#.

Latest posts

Back