WSP Sale

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this from jedwards by Lin19687's recommendation. It's nice stuff! The shipping was a bit high, I think $55, but even with shipping it came out to be the better deal compared to Soapers Choice and ED (compared both with shipping). 44# is more than I'll reasonably use in a year (unless my business suddenly decides to 3x itself) so I did sell 10# on FB at $5 per lb, which pretty much paid for the shipping for me and still left me with 34#.
I am so lucky I can go to Los Angeles and purchase shea by the box. No shipping and approx $75 for a 23-25 lb box which is higher per lb but no shipping, so it actually comes out about the same as I pay. Jedwards does have decent pricing on bulk shea. Amd anytime you buy bulk and what to sell off let me know

I think I mentioned it before... I really wish there was somewhere I could go. I think the closest I found was Indiana. Shipping kills me.

I think I mentioned it before... I really wish there was somewhere I could go. I think the closest I found was Indiana. Shipping kills me.
you might have, but even if I get it here and pickup it is around $2.60 per lb. I just found a local supplier at $65 for 25 lbs and she gives discount for wholesale. So will see how much it ends up. Maybe I need to go into the shea resale business :lol: nope...

The shortening is hydrogenated. Hydrogenation is a process in which a liquid unsaturated fat is turned into a solid fat by adding hydrogen.
I found that this is not accurate for palm shortening. I spoke too soon. I made this statment based upon what I had read about canned shortening.
homogenizing palm does not make it shortening.
Having received my no-stir, which I was not expecting to be so solid at room temperature, I see that I was wrong about this. I want to apologize to cmzaha.

Due to the different melting points of the different triglycerides found in palm oils, they can be separated by carefully heating the oil to a specific temperature. The fats can then be separated. One practice making palm shortening is to remove the softer triglycerides to make the shortening harder. I was concerned that it might be the case here, but I was relieved to see that the fat distribution on the label matched what I would expect from non-fractionated palm.

I try not to be wrong about my "facts", but credibility is important to me, so I like to know when I'm wrong so I don't have to be wrong anymore. Like a good scientist, I try not to get to infatuated with my "facts" and will change them in a heartbeat given new information that fits. I have no trouble owning it if I mess up.

I chunk up my cubes and put it in 5 gallon buckets. Mine are re-purposed buckets that my oils come in, but Home Depot carries 5 gallon buckets pretty cheap. Best way I can avoid melting problems
This is what I purchase and I really do not care if it is homogenized, hydrogenated or whatever, it is 100% palm works great and is $28 for 50 lbs. It is going in wash off soap...

View attachment 32210
Hi there :) I know this is an older post but am hopeful you may see it. I just used smart and finals palm shortening for the first time yesterday. Soaped around 78-80 degrees. Same recipe I always use, just subbed palm oil with shortening. FO was N.S. lilac blossom. Kaolin clay and a bit of honey water added. CPOPed soap at 170 for an hour and then turned off oven and left overnight. The soap turned out great minus these strange brown spots all over. Definitely not DOS, far too early to see that I'd think. Thought maybe the FO was bad but was told that it's most likely the shortening as they typically have chemicals and additives in them. Have you ever encountered this with palm shortening? Thank you for your thoughts 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_140119954.jpg
    IMG_20211229_140119954.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 5
Hi there :) I know this is an older post but am hopeful you may see it. I just used smart and finals palm shortening for the first time yesterday. Soaped around 78-80 degrees. Same recipe I always use, just subbed palm oil with shortening. FO was N.S. lilac blossom. Kaolin clay and a bit of honey water added. CPOPed soap at 170 for an hour and then turned off oven and left overnight. The soap turned out great minus these strange brown spots all over. Definitely not DOS, far too early to see that I'd think. Thought maybe the FO was bad but was told that it's most likely the shortening as they typically have chemicals and additives in them. Have you ever encountered this with palm shortening? Thank you for your thoughts 🙂
Those look like honey spots to me.

Latest posts

Back