WSP sale - what are you getting?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am a voice in the wilderness but I LIKE the peanuts! I have friends that need them on a regular basis (they give me their bubble wrap in exchange). Nobody wants the darn pillows...

Bit the bullet and ordered 1lb of oil. $16.55 shipping in an oversized box plus the new $5 fee. Grrrr. Suckers told me they would ship flat rate...

But I do like quite a few of their F.O.'s so I have to put up with the shipping uck.

Last edited:
Woah, thats a lot in shipping for only 1 lb of oil.

I just got my package. And yep. Peanuts... Peanuts everywhere. I smelled all the fragraces! They smell great!! The nag champa is exactly EXACTLY as I'd expect it to smell. I also got amber romance which smells nice but... I spilled a drop on myself and now thats all I can smell!

I hate getting FO on my nose when sniffing but I guess I will just have to live with it. Their Nag Champa really is good- this is the first time I've gotten theirs and it lived up to expectations OOB at least.

I sent a message to them about the peanuts and the charge. The responder said they had to use up their supply of peanuts before switching, which makes sense. She said the additional $5 fee was to cover the cost of more boxing/packaging orders and because UPS increased their fees by 5%, citing fuel surcharge.

UPS is full of it! Fuel is at a multi-year low so that is hard to swallow. I think it's unfair to increase their fees because they are getting more orders, though. I told her that seemed counterintuitive, to add a fee because they are doing more business. However, I doubt saying something will make it change, so I will only order during a hefty sale.

Aline, you must be completely whipped by the FO you bought to pay over $20 to ship one pound! Even if I didn't need them, I think I would have ordered more FO's to get me to the free shipping $40 just because it would feel like less of a rip-off.

I hate getting FO on my nose when sniffing but I guess I will just have to live with it. Their Nag Champa really is good- this is the first time I've gotten theirs and it lived up to expectations OOB at least.

Yeah, all I smelled was Nag Champa all night. I like it, but I am not soaping with it this weekend. haha

Aline, you must be completely whipped by the FO you bought to pay over $20 to ship one pound! Even if I didn't need them, I think I would have ordered more FO's to get me to the free shipping $40 just because it would feel like less of a rip-off.

The free shipping is the 48 continental states only.

I'm kinda sad... I'm missing half my FOs I ordered :(
I'm not sure what happened...the site only listed one tracking number for all 24 bottles.
I was all excited and opened a very large box, waded through the peanuts, and only found 12 bottles...sigh...

I'm kinda sad... I'm missing half my FOs I ordered :(

I'm not sure what happened...the site only listed one tracking number for all 24 bottles.

I was all excited and opened a very large box, waded through the peanuts, and only found 12 bottles...sigh...

I've had them ship two boxes with a large order. Hopefully it comes Monday. Otherwise call them. They are really good with their CS these days.

I sent a message to them about the peanuts and the charge. The responder said they had to use up their supply of peanuts before switching, which makes sense. She said the additional $5 fee was to cover the cost of more boxing/packaging orders and because UPS increased their fees by 5%, citing fuel surcharge.

UPS is full of it! Fuel is at a multi-year low so that is hard to swallow. I think it's unfair to increase their fees because they are getting more orders, though. I told her that seemed counterintuitive, to add a fee because they are doing more business. However, I doubt saying something will make it change, so I will only order during a hefty sale.

Full disclosure: WSP does discount shipping to Alaska and Hawaii by 20% so my January order of 4 x 1lb of FO plus 1 x 4 oz, was discounted $22.32 but cost $34.65 to ship (via USPS). I can handle that.

I really wanted some Gardenia Lily too though and figured the sale price would justify the shipping, as customer service did say they could ship flat rate. Unfortunately it shipped in a massive box instead. Suckers.

The biggest problem I have with WSP is that they will not give customers a shipping quote prior to ordering. If you are outside the continental US you have to sign a form saying that you agree to the shipping cost whatever it is. Gaaah!

Last edited:
I got a small order from them with the little $ I had left over from the screwed up inventory reduction order I placed last month. No peanuts! I didn't have much breakable. I only had 4 small FO bottles and I really like the packaging they came in. It looks like compressed cardboard. Brambleberry needs to take notice and replace their massive foam packaging.

WSP lined the box with plastic wrap that I haven't seen before. It has big air pocket, in between bubble wrap and air pillows. It makes it easier to reuse. Overall I'm happy with the packaging. The way they labeled the glass bottles makes it easy to reuse them when empty but adds plastic waste. MMS has better labels that peel easily and generate less waste.

The bad part is their inventory. Most everything I wanted to try was out of stock including FOs and non FO items. They need to get that under control.

Old thread I know but going to give this a shot anyway. Can one of you fine folks help me understand how to calculate how much of a FO purchased from WSP to use in a batch of soap? I see listed max usage rates listed for each oil but they very wildly, some as low as 3% some up to 50% . Thus far the only FOs I have used have been from BB and I used their calculator the likes of which is not to be found on the WSP site. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Typically folks use between .5 and 1 oz ppo - depending on the allowable limit and how strong of a scent you want.

Common Usages
1 oz ppo = 6% of batch
.75 oz ppo = 5% of batch
.5 oz ppo = maths 3%?? of batch

You really don't want to use more than 6% even if the manufacturer says it's okay to do so. Although it's body-safe at that amount, it will hurt the soap to go too high. Some FOs and EOs have a very small allowable limit to be considered body safe. With those, you should not exceed the allowable limit. You can blend those lower ones with something else.

Typically folks use between .5 and 1 oz ppo - depending on the allowable limit and how strong of a scent you want.

Common Usages
1 oz ppo = 6% of batch
.75 oz ppo = 5% of batch
.5 oz ppo = maths 3%?? of batch

You really don't want to use more than 6% even if the manufacturer says it's okay to do so. Although it's body-safe at that amount, it will hurt the soap to go too high. Some FOs and EOs have a very small allowable limit to be considered body safe. With those, you should not exceed the allowable limit. You can blend those lower ones with something else.

Thank you so much! I appreciate you clearing that up. I am about to place an order and wanted to be prepared to soap when they arrive, yea.. can't wait.:) Now off to narrow down the shopping cart to a "reasonable" number of oils.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Reasonable. LOL.
I too get confused when some of the FOs say the usage rate in soap is 100%. Is that a typo? (I assume that's what it is?) Or possibly the FO is safe to use directly on the skin? (That seems dumb, so I don't do that.) If the website says 100% in soap, I go with somewhere between .5 and 1 oz PPO. Usually I try to hit .75.

Reasonable. LOL.
I too get confused when some of the FOs say the usage rate in soap is 100%. Is that a typo? (I assume that's what it is?) Or possibly the FO is safe to use directly on the skin? (That seems dumb, so I don't do that.) If the website says 100% in soap, I go with somewhere between .5 and 1 oz PPO. Usually I try to hit .75.
Usually it means it has not been tested by the IFRA. It is not a requirement for fragrance manufacturers to have their fo's tested by IFRA. Using more than 6% does not hurt the soap, but some higher usege rates could be irritating to the skin. I average 6-7% in my soaps depending on the fo/eo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back