Wow-holy soap info!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all are hilarious!!! Thanks for all the advice and friendly welcome. I do not have any supplies yet. Where do you buy your CO? I haven't even looked for it yet to be honest - or the lye for that matter. I hate to pay shipping on things so I may run to our Lowe's to see if they have the Robeic (sp?) one there. Also one more question - I know there is a section on this but I need the condensed version lol - if I want good strong scents that last a long time should I go FO or EO? I know there is no easy answer. Also a good place to buy FO?
Thanks everyone for making me feel very welcomed!

AngelMomma - that is a whole lot of chickens! And the green shells are cool! I like the fuzzy black and white kind with the long feathers ( clearly I do not what I am talking about haha) I dont think I could kill my own chickens so mine would be for eggs and for pretty :)

Last edited:
I buy my Lye from Essentials Depot on eBay. Ships fast, price is good, and I don't have to go anywhere to get it lol plus it's super high quality! And I work at walmart so I usually just grab the oils on my way out the door.

When I started out I bought all my oils and lye locally. Nothing was shipped except FOs. I bought olive oil, coconut oil, lard, and castor oil from Walmart. I got my lye from my local hardware store. I still get some of my ingredients locally when I run out of something and don't have time to order online or wait for it to be shipped.

Walmart also carries other oils you can use in CP soap. Like their vegetable shortening/crisco, sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, hazelnut oil, sesame oil, flax seed oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, and a combo oil thats part avocado and olive oil. Think its called Olivado or something like that.

Some of my favorite FO suppliers are Moonworks Collection, Southern Garden Scents, Elements, Bath & Body, and Soapalooza. With FOs it can be hit or miss but with MW and SGS I usually have good success. EBB is more hit or miss but the good ones are real keepers.

For my very first soaps I got a 2lb bottle of lye from Lowes, Castor, Lard & Coconut oils at Wal-Mart and Olive Oil at Sam's Club. Those were the best prices for those items around here.

I can't find castor oil at my walmart. I'm looking by the cooking oils, would it be anywhere else?

Welcome Georgia!

When I started soaping I had a fear of using lye as well. Funny because I used chemicals for years in the art industry for bronze statuary.
Regardless, I was still fearful. I bought my lye from Boyer Corp- they could not be more professional, and reasonable for the case of 2lb canisters shipped. I intended to go all out, because I tired of buying my homemade soap when I knew In my heart that I could make this happen!

If I was going to make mistakes I wanted to limit the waste. So, I used olive oil saved from a jar sun dried tomatoes. I also used lavender infused olive oil from home grown lavender (another first), and bought palm & coconut from Walmart.

I found a nice little recipe for a Shea bar, and ran it through SoapCalc- Oh, I forgot, I've been reading this forum for over a year, and have learned so much (Thanks to many of you. You don't know who you are but you have helped me immeasurably) :p

Then I got down to business, late at night so I wouldn't be distracted. I was careful, I was nervous but determined.
The next day, I got a rush of accomplishment as I unwrapped and sliced into my first loaf of beautiful white soap.
I saved one bar, and to this day it has retained the sent of tomato, and lavender.
I learned so much, beginning with a new healthy respect for lye-without the fear!

I now buy my oils from Soaper's Choice. I have been using essential oils for years (added skin moisturizers etc.), and have decided to
stick with them and create my own scents instead of using FO's. It's just a personal choice.
I have nine chickens, presently I'm working on a bar that includes fresh eggs, the possibilities are endless!

This is a wonderfully creative endeavor, and I enjoy every minute of it.

Have faith, and make it fun.
C

What she said. I find it with the laxatives, because apparently some people use for such purpose :/

They do and labor starter but there is a very fine line between nausea, vomiting diarrhea and kickstarting labor but I digress ......

Thank you CCa1892 for the hope and encouragement. I figure I am just gonna go all in and do a batch when the kiddies are in bed. So stay tuned - good bad or ugly there will be pictures if I can figure out how to post them. We probably will all get a good laugh.

I am quickly seeing a connection of soapmakers and chicken lovers, I like it and I am jealous :mrgreen:

My only issue is that I HATE, hate, Hate , HAte, HAAAATE the smell of lavender. Gah and that stuff is EVERYWHERE! Sometimes I think it is the only essential oil ever used. Sometimes it reminds me of cat urine (don't ask) lol. So I will be steering away from that one. I looked up some of these FO sites and man you could really blow the wad there couldn't you !?! And here I tried to sell my hubby (Italian Yeti man) on this adventure by telling him I would be SAVING us money. BAHAHAHAHAHA [evil maniacal laughter]

Hello Georgia, nice to meet you. I live in Florida, outside of Tampa, for about 6 months of the year and Tennessee the rest of the year. I have been making soap for several years but I am always learning. I love to make new products that keeps the chemicals out of my home. Don't be afraid of the lye just respect it. A simple soap using 3 or 4 oils, w/o color or fragrance to get the hang of the process. When I want to try a new recipe I try to make a 1 or 2 lb test batch. That way I don't waste a lot of supplies if it doesn't work out the way I wanted. I use a few basic oils in all my soap and change it by adding butters, special oil, silk, herbs, teas, essential oils. I also use food in a lot of my soap, but not at first. I usually use coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil, and castor oil in my basic soap. Always double check your formula with a soap calc.
It truly is a addiction and before you know it you will have every flat surface in you home covered with curing soap.

Hello and welcome! Soaping is truly an addiction that you will love it. My son goes through a bar of my soap every 4 or 5 days and it drives me crazy! He is 6'5" but still! Hope to see some of your soaps soon!

how how how? My soaps last forever and I don't care if it's commercial, hand made, liquid or what! Am I not showering enough or is your boy just a "consumer?" You know, how many young men devour everything in sight? :D

It truly is a addiction and before you know it you will have every flat surface in you home covered with curing soap.

Man I hope so! Let's hope it goes that well. I love Tenneessee and wish I lived closer to the Tampa coast, anywhere near Clearwater would do.

They do and labor starter but there is a very fine line between nausea, vomiting diarrhea and kickstarting labor but I digress ......

Thank you CCa1892 for the hope and encouragement. I figure I am just gonna go all in and do a batch when the kiddies are in bed. So stay tuned - good bad or ugly there will be pictures if I can figure out how to post them. We probably will all get a good laugh.

I am quickly seeing a connection of soapmakers and chicken lovers, I like it and I am jealous :mrgreen:

My only issue is that I HATE, hate, Hate , HAte, HAAAATE the smell of lavender. Gah and that stuff is EVERYWHERE! Sometimes I think it is the only essential oil ever used. Sometimes it reminds me of cat urine (don't ask) lol. So I will be steering away from that one. I looked up some of these FO sites and man you could really blow the wad there couldn't you !?! And here I tried to sell my hubby (Italian Yeti man) on this adventure by telling him I would be SAVING us money. BAHAHAHAHAHA [evil maniacal laughter]

Georgia I used lavender infused olive oil, which turned out to be a very very very light scent (I infused allot stems leaves and flowers) for a small 2lb batch. Thankfully there are so many choices, you will soon develop favorites of your own. It's all part of the creative process.
:smile:

Man I hope so! Let's hope it goes that well. I love Tenneessee and wish I lived closer to the Tampa coast, anywhere near Clearwater would do.

I love Tennessee too and living near Clearwater...the beach is amazing and some great places to eat and shop too.

Just don't worry about the first couple of soaps you do as you are learning the process and safety of cold process. Just make sure the little ones are not around to get hurt while you are playing. That is what I think about when creating another soap is playing but playing carefully.

Debra
Happy Skin Body Care™

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been making soap for quite awhile. There is no need to be afraid of lye. Lye will burn the skin, but it takes awhile and you will get plenty of warning through a burning sensation. I wear gloves and keep a bottle of vinegar nearby. To neutralize the lye all you have to do is spray a little vinegar on the affected area. It would not hurt to wear goggles and not to scratch while messing with lye.

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been making soap for quite awhile. There is no need to be afraid of lye. Lye will burn the skin, but it takes awhile and you will get plenty of warning through a burning sensation. I wear gloves and keep a bottle of vinegar nearby. To neutralize the lye all you have to do is spray a little vinegar on the affected area. It would not hurt to wear goggles and not to scratch while messing with lye.
Haha I accidentally got some lye splashed on my face from the stick blender and it didn't really hurt at all.. until I put the vinegar on it. But, it's healed up now, no scar or anything (actually a little disappointing, in a way) so it's whatevs haha

Do not put vinegar directly onto splashed lye on the skin. It can actually make a burn worse because the vinegar/lye combination reacts and produces heat. The best way is to rinse with cool water for several minutes and then apply vinegar if you still feel it's necessary.

More info here --> http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/does-vinegar-neutralize-lye-6735/
Actually, what I did was splash water on a few times, poured the vinegar on a paper towel and wiped. Then splashed, wiped, splashed a few times. Then I neosporinned up and went back to blending. :)

Back