Wow-holy soap info!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. Bubble

Reaction score
Hi all - my name is Georgia and I live in Orlando. I work overnights at a hospital 7 days on and 7 days off. I want to learn to make soap on my days off, not all of my days off. That's a lot of soap. I am basically tired of the mysterious chemical laden stuff that is pumped out of China so I decided to go chemical free/ organic as best I can as living off the grid and raising chickens (yes I want chickens) is not possible in Orlando heehee. I was buying soap from a well known company but it is hella expensive and my husband only uses bar soap in the shower. A bar lasts him for 3 days. What is he doing in there? How much lather can a person need I ask myself ?!? SO it is cost effective for me to make my own soap. I can do this right? Right? I am terrified of the lye and of completely disfiguring myself but I shall overcome. I am planning on making my first batch of cold process once the toddlers are in bed one day. I figure after I read all the post on this forum, all 35798451985649874 of them, I will be ready. lol. I am interested in bar soap, hand soap, dish soap, shower gel, laundry soap and probably any soap once this addiction takes a hold of me. You all know you know what I am talking about. So hopefully there are lots of kind friendly folks with plenty of helpful advice for the newbie. And fingers crossed I don't blow up my house :Kitten Love:

Welcome to the addiction Georgia and no you won't blow your house up :lol:, start reading the 35798451985649874 posts and we like photos of your soap when its finished. Don't be afraid of lye, just be cautious. If your starting your first batch of CP its best to start with no colour and no scent so you get the hang of how it all works - good luck with the first batch.

Hello Mrs Bubble - I really like your user name. You must have a very dirty hubby, to use so much soap ;P I think that it would definitely be worth your while to learn how to make it. My household has the opposite problem - they are all handwash/showergel folk here and I wonder how I will ever use it all up. I know what you mean about being scared of the lye. Lye is scary. I wonder if I will eventually lose the fear of it but it doesn't make me not want to make soap....just to be extra careful. It is so satisfying to make something that previously seemed so mysterious.

I have made laundry soap and have chickens so we are kindred spirits. Good luck with your first batch :)

Hello and Welcome to the forum, Georgia! I was a bit nervous with working with lye at first, but I am much more relaxed with it now. I am still cautious, just I know that I take care and am careful with it, it is not going to kill me :) There is a ton of information and a great number of helpful people here! Good luck with your soap, and yes, post pictures ;-)

Welcome! I was leary of the lye too. I had bad images of my former high school chemistry labs and was a lil nervous. Dh thought I would burn down the house but once you do it, its all good. Just make sure to have all kiddos and fur babies out of the room so you have no distractions or mishaps. It is not so bad. I work nights too just on the weekends, I would never be able to work 7 days straight. Good luck and please show lots of pics!

My hub, also known as my hairy half, also goes through soap quickly!

I will warn you, if the soap bug bites you, you will NOT save money by making your own, at least not in the beginning. Unless you have superhuman discipline and can resist buying tempting fragrances, colorants, molds, fancy oils, etc. If you do, you're a better woman than I! :)

Either way, you will have fun!

Hello Mrs Bubble - I really like your user name. You must have a very dirty hubby, to use so much soap ;P I think that it would definitely be worth your while to learn how to make it. My household has the opposite problem - they are all handwash/showergel folk here and I wonder how I will ever use it all up. I know what you mean about being scared of the lye. Lye is scary. I wonder if I will eventually lose the fear of it but it doesn't make me not want to make soap....just to be extra careful. It is so satisfying to make something that previously seemed so mysterious.

I have made laundry soap and have chickens so we are kindred spirits. Good luck with your first batch :)

Yes very dirty indeed! Haha j/k
What kind of chickens? Like the pretty kind or the eating kind?

Welcome! I have a fast bar using Hubby as well. I think it must be that hairy chest, hahaha!!! We are owned by chickens, they are great. Hope you can have some someday too. They are lovely creatures. Have fun soaping!

I love them! I grew up on a farm but ours were not the " pretty" fancy ones. And I think it is definitely the Yeti factor of hair. My Yeti is Italian ....

I tell my hubby that he has a built in 'scrubby', lol. We have a variety of chickens for laying. Red Sex Link (incredible for food to large egg ratio. They aren't pigs with the feed), Americaunas(green shell eggs), Barred Rock, Houdans, Silkies(bantam) and Frizzle(bantam). We just got our first group of meat chickens :/ I have been reading tons about that and am nervous but excited too.

Have you gotten any soaping supplies yet? And no. Its not cheaper for me to make my soap than to buy it. Evidently I do not have the above mentioned "self control" Hahaha!

Welcome! Yeah....I didn't pay my electric bill this month because of my soaping addiction (whoops). I have chickens, too...everyone should have atleast 3! Awesome animals!

Hello and welcome! Soaping is truly an addiction that you will love it. My son goes through a bar of my soap every 4 or 5 days and it drives me crazy! He is 6'5" but still! Hope to see some of your soaps soon!

Hi Georgia! I work in a hospital as well - three 12's on the weekend nightshift.
lsg gave you some great links! I watched all the Soap Queen CP videos on youtube several times before I ever tried making soap and it really helped me to get started.
The first time I made soap, I was so nervous and scared of the lye that when I finished, I sat down and cried for a minute, LOL! But I was hooked and eventually I got over my fear...and you will too :)

......The first time I made soap, I was so nervous and scared of the lye that when I finished, I sat down and cried for a minute, LOL! But I was hooked and eventually I got over my fear...and you will too :)

me too! that's so funny.... I think all the reading I did prior to my first batch had my fear in high gear and the tears were from pure relief.

Welcome Georgia!

I was nervous making my first soap too. But then someone reminded me that lye is what we use to clean our toilet bowls with and that actually made me relax knowing that I already had experience handling a caustic substance. Just make sure you read about handling lye and get yourself some protective gear you need for making soap. I use goggles, a respirator, long rubber gloves, and lots of old long sleeved T-shirts and sweat pants.

My mom raised layers for a while and I would stop by her place every weekend for fresh eggs. She doesn't have them anymore and I really miss those fresh eggs- especially the occasional double yoker.

Have fun learning how to make soap. Just start simple. I started out only buying oils and butters I could buy locally from the market before I started experimenting with more exotic oils. I made a simple recipe soap with olive oil, coconut oil, lard, and castor oil. It still is the best recipe and best lathering and creamy soap I ever made. Sometimes simple is the best! Have fun!!

...My son goes through a bar of my soap every 4 or 5 days and it drives me crazy!...

Um........ <...looking innocently at the ceiling...>

Are these furry fellas with a soap habit also the ones who like LOTS of peppermint in their soap? Or is that a different crowd? :angel:

--DeeAnna (ducking for cover!)

PS: Hi, Mrs. Bubble!

Latest posts

Back