Wow! Has anyone done this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is so beautiful, and consistent with my new minimalism in soap supplies.

Does anyone know how to make that swirl? how about other swirls suitable for a loaf mold?

That's a "Taiwan Swirl". Also called a "Modified Mantra Swirl". There are a great many youtube videos about how to do them. Even so, it took me 3 or 4 times doing one before I got one that I liked.

This is so beautiful, and consistent with my new minimalism in soap supplies.

Does anyone know how to make that swirl? how about other swirls suitable for a loaf mold?

Two words: Taiwan Swirl...tons of youtube videos on it and my new favorite.

Thank you both! I am off to watch Taiwan swirling utubes now....

The mantra swirl does not work so well with loaf molds if you cut it in slices.

Thank you both! I am off to watch Taiwan swirling utubes now....

The mantra swirl does not work so well with loaf molds if you cut it in slices.

Ahhh, there is a trick to that. You have to cut your loaf vertically into sections and then horizontally to reveal the swirl.

Here's a basic video that shows the technique; although you will want to find others to explain what length to cut your initial sections into, etc.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NvSKIN2DuA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NvSKIN2DuA[/ame]

OK, a few things I learned today:

1. If I attempt this swirl again with my favorite recipe, I will definitely have to make my attempt at room temperature as I usually do. I "just wanted to soap" and that led me to abandon my usual approach and soap at a higher temp (110 Fahrenheit).

2. Should I attempt this swirl again, it will be with a fragrance oil I am familiar with. My higher % lye batter moved very quickly on me and since I soaped at a higher temperature I am unsure as to whether it was the temp. or the FO. The lower % lye batter set up pretty quickly also; but not as fast as the higher percentage batter.

3. I will attempt this technique again

4. I really need to get myself a test mold.

If you use low water (high lye %) you have to be 1000% certain that your FO does not accelerate in the least and I mean not at all. If it's manageable generally, that is not the same thing and will burn you in low water. The slightest accelerant in a low water batter will accelerate exponentially more quickly and it is a sorry sight indeed, having done it.

LP is an excellent source for FO's that work with low water because she soaps that way most of the time.

I will say that my one pound mold has become my most valued one. Does anyone know if someone sells a one pound tall and skinny mold? I can use legos to make one, but sometimes silicone might be easier. (Nods to you, IL)

Last edited:
Actually newbie that reminds me of a youtube video I recently watched (I think it was linked from Omar Lopez's channel). This guy used legos to build a shell and then inserted different figures/objects and followed by pouring silicone over the top. After the silicone sets up, he pulls off the lego shell and pulls the inserts out of the silicone leaving a mold. Why couldn't you use the same technique to build multiple 1lb shells and pour your own silicone test molds? I wonder if it would even be cost effective . . .

Well, that was interesting. After the batter set up on me so quickly, I didn't know what to expect when I cut today. Except maybe a churned up mess .. lol. So, here are the pics of my first attempt at this technique. I did try to do something different than the blogger. I attempted a butterfly swirl. Partly because I think a butterfly "ghost" swirl would look pretty cool and mostly because that's the swirl that I'm focusing on getting better at right now.

So, here are the pics.

WP_20150930_004.jpg

WP_20150930_005.jpg

Cool! Did you use any colorant or is the yellowish color just from your batter?

Nope, no colorants, no salt, no sugar, etc. Just oils/fats, aloe vera Juice, lye and FO. I'm not sure exactly where the yellow color came from unless it's unsaponified unrefined Shea Butter. But, I'd expect to see it more evenly spread out if that was the case. Because the shea was melted with the rest of the hard oils/fats.

Edit: Forgot to say "Thank You" for the compliment. Thank You.

If you use low water (high lye %) you have to be 1000% certain that your FO does not accelerate in the least and I mean not at all. If it's manageable generally, that is not the same thing and will burn you in low water. The slightest accelerant in a low water batter will accelerate exponentially more quickly and it is a sorry sight indeed, having done it.

LP is an excellent source for FO's that work with low water because she soaps that way most of the time.

I will say that my one pound mold has become my most valued one. Does anyone know if someone sells a one pound tall and skinny mold? I can use legos to make one, but sometimes silicone might be easier. (Nods to you, IL)

Newbie- Who or what is LP, I am about to order a bunch of things from BB but their FOs are not my favorite,

Sorry. LP is Lion Princess.

I can tell you that Champagne, Blackberry Sage, Lemongrass, and Kumquat work well. Most Sandalwoods and straight Patchoulis work well. I think Espresso works well in low water.

ETA: she's at the movies but will get on later to make some suggestions. She also mention Balckberry sage, and Neroli Shea blossom, Tobacco and Bay leaf. She said that OT's Mysore Sandalwood is "the best **** FO for 40% lye!"

Last edited:
I'm here! Took a while to find the request on fos thread hehe. I like bb neroli Shea blossom, kumquat, lychee red tea I think it is, Summer fling A on me in low water, fresh snow behaves very well (if you like it, newbie can't stand it...love hate thing), BlackBerry sage went well, moonlight pomegranate clumps a little (ricing) and A, but smells good, champagne behaves, tobacco bay leaf though I don't think I used low water on it, it was able to do a butterfly swirl so behaves enough for that. Lavender forest is perfect.
OT fragrances in low water that behave, green Irish tweed, silver mountain water, but not made to measure, it says on the site it's a pale cream, no, it's a D to rich milk chocolate and A. Mysore sandalwood is supurb in low water.
Fragrance buddy black cedarwood and juniper behaved well in low water, patchouli passion too.

I'm here! Took a while to find the request on fos thread hehe. I like bb neroli Shea blossom, kumquat, lychee red tea I think it is, Summer fling A on me in low water, fresh snow behaves very well (if you like it, newbie can't stand it...love hate thing), BlackBerry sage went well, moonlight pomegranate clumps a little (ricing) and A, but smells good, champagne behaves, tobacco bay leaf though I don't think I used low water on it, it was able to do a butterfly swirl so behaves enough for that. Lavender forest is perfect.
OT fragrances in low water that behave, green Irish tweed, silver mountain water, but not made to measure, it says on the site it's a pale cream, no, it's a D to rich milk chocolate and A. Mysore sandalwood is supurb in low water.
Fragrance buddy black cedarwood and juniper behaved well in low water, patchouli passion too.

Thanks LP, I will try the Neroli Shea Blosson and Lychee Red tea sounds good. OMG I LOVE Summer Fling! It is a fast mover but it is worth it, it smells great and really sticks. I tried BBs Apricot Freesia, oob it smells gorgeous but it disappeared on me and I did not gel, I even stuck it in the freezer, used at 1oz ppo, poof disappeared faster than Jimmy Hoffa!

I tried this a couple of days ago and learned a couple of things:

U.S. ovens cannot be set below 170 F on the bake cycle. Sometime in the 90s there was a regulation that set the minimum temp at 170 for food safety reasons. I tried the Proof setting and only got to 90F. Then I tried my Warm setting and got to about 120F. Impossible to get to the 140F Auntie Clara says is critical.

I couldn't force a good gel with my heating pad, either. I used my usual "experiment" recipe that gels well, but forgot the 2 tsp of sugar I usually add. Maybe that was the difference. Anyway, I didn't get enough gel to get the color change. There is a color difference.

I used a pencil for my swirl instead of a skewer (note to self: next time check to see if you have skewers BEFORE you start) so I didn't get the nice feathery look. Mine looks more like bamboo leaves. There is a nice embossed look that doesn't show up well in the pic.

Ghost.jpg

Last edited:
Judiraz....while you didn't get WHAT you wanted, you indeed got something BEAUTIFUL!I tried a Clyde slide awhile back and didn't understand fully what was involved...what I got ended up looking like the silhouette of trees on the African savanna...they were beautiful...embrace what you DID get!

Pic required, CT!

I also can't get my oven at anything under 190 degrees. I have generally used heating pads and then trying to make sure it stays in gel for a bit and not uncovering it at all so it stays warm for longer. I have never gotten the drastic color differences like AUntie Clara got with her blue ultramarine but I have gotten lots of shading and outlining, which is really pretty. You got nice contrast in your swirls, for sure. It's possible her recipe gets darker when it gels than yours, dependent on your oils.

Back