Worst Beauty Recipe Book Ever Rant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genny

Reaction score
I enjoy reading different soap making books, lotion making books, essential oil books, etc. I've read probably hundreds of them over the years. But I have finally found one that was so annoying & just overall an awful book.
It's Natural Beauty Recipe Book by Gill Farrer-Halls
The misinformation and horrible recipe advice ran rampant through out it. So I'm going to rant a little about it.

When talking about eo's they stated that you should never take essential oils orally and it is illegal for a qualified aromatherapist to suggest this and that you should avoid contact with the mouth. But then they have mouthwash recipes with myrrh, peppermint, lemon, thyme, fennel, chamomile & grapefruit eo's :shock:

Then when talking about making creams they state that home made creams will not be thick like commercial creams because commercial cream manufacturers use emulsifying machines. I'm thinking that their creams are runny because of the recipe, like this one (it's not the entire recipe, I left out eo's because I didn't want to step into copyright violations):
Cream recipe:
1 tsp beeswax 2 Tbsp almond oil
1/2 cup rosewater 1 Tbsp jojoba oil
1 Tbsp glycerin
1 1/2 Tbsp cocoa butter
There's no preservative listed, no proper emulsifier and way too much water.

In one of their facial cream recipes, it's very similar to the previous cream except they add honey. The honey is used as the preservative because, "hone inhibits the growth of bacteria". That's an exact quote from the book :(

All of their lotion, shampoo & conditioner recipes just involved adding pureed vegetables :)sick:), oils, herbal water and eo's to bought bases.
Which wasn't at all what the description of the book implied.

Then when they got to soaps, it got a little confusing on some things. This book is an all natural, all organic based book, but for some of their body soap recipes they instruct you to add laundry starch to your soap. :confused:

When they talked about making cold processed soaps, they stated "Animal fats are highly saturated and clog the pores, causing blackheads and blemishes. Tallow can also cause eczema and allergies." Seriously, they actually stated that it causes eczema.

So, if you're looking at buying some recipe/info books, pass on this one. I'm glad I just borrowed it from the library.

Hmmmz... Weird...

I try with beeswax before and I failed. I was told that beeswax alone cannot be an emulsifier.

I can understand your irritation and the whole book contradicts itself.

I'm glad I just borrowed it from the library.

That's really good! I made the mistake of ordering a kindle book on soap making because it said it had recipes in it (which I would run though soap calc first!), anyway, it was a $3 kindle book. That's $3 I wish I could have back because it had lots of melt and pour recipes.

I appreciate you posting this rant, as I'd like to expand beyond soap and I need a book or two. It won't be this one! You'll never get that time back, but maybe by sharing this review on Amazon as well as here, you can save lots and lots of people's time (and money, and skin).

Is there a beginner book or two that you would recommend above all others?

Last night I got a video on my FB newsfeed about Felicia Day "Making Soap" in this fancy 'handmade' spa in Burbank, California. All she is doing is M&P, nothing else.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6oXyBTMNT8&feature=share"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6oXyBTMNT8&feature=share[/ame]

OMGoodness, Funny thing is that I just purchased this book used from Amazon "much less". Haven't received it yet. Now I'm super curious~ I love new reads about soap and beauty products. It's always an adeventure...

I appreciate you posting this rant, as I'd like to expand beyond soap and I need a book or two. It won't be this one! You'll never get that time back, but maybe by sharing this review on Amazon as well as here, you can save lots and lots of people's time (and money, and skin).

For lotions & stuff, I really like
The complete guide to creating oils, soaps, creams, and herbal gels for your mind and body : 101 natural body care recipes by Marlene Jones
I can't remember off the top of my head if it talks about using preservatives though.

One of the best basic lotion books I've ever read though is most definitely Susan's (swift) Lotionmaking 101 e book http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/12/lotionmaking-101-e-book-is-finally-done.html It is a $29 donation though.

The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso. Smart Soapmaking by Anne Watson. Basic Soap Making by Elizabeth Letcavage and Patsy Buck.

Don't think about it as wasting your 30min. Because you discover this author is being disorganised in her book and provide contradicting information. Next time if you have the chance to write a book on your own, you will know that you should not do the same as her/him. Its another experience earn. think positive.

Back