White spots on the surface of my solid hair conditioner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuilhermeRT

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post on this forum, I make soap, shampoos, hair conditioners and candles. I had a problem with one of my recipes of solid hair conditioner. After about 4-6 days, some white spots appeared only on the surface of the bars and I have no idea what can cause this. Anyone had something similar?

The formulation is:

40% BTMS 25
30% Cetyl alcohol
2% Coco Caprylate/Caprate
6% Murumuru butter
5% Cupuacu butter
9% Coconut oil
3% Buriti oil
Around 4% in essential oils
1% preservatives

Thanks in advance!

Note: I'm from Brazil, so sorry if some sentences get a little confusing.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-26 at 1.14.26 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-26 at 1.14.26 PM.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have had that happen, and assumed it had something to do with the way the fats cooled, like big stearic spots, perhaps. But it could also be from incomplete mixing of your ingredients, especially those that have some color to them.

Hopefully someone with a more scientific explanation will come along and share.

It could be fat migration or "bloom", particularly with those butters in there. Look up chocolate bloom for an understanding of this phenomenon. What was your cooling method?

It could be fat migration or "bloom", particularly with those butters in there. Look up chocolate bloom for an understanding of this phenomenon. What was your cooling method?
I left it at room temperature overnight and took them off the mold.

Room temperature cooling can definitely encourage fat bloom. Rapid cooling in a fridge or freezer, or cooling while stirring in an ice bath can help.

Also, coconut oil and butters can have some problems together sometimes.

All that said, AliOop might be right that it might be from incomplete mixing. Sometimes if the colour fades a bit, it becomes more obvious.

Latest posts

Back