Wonderful pine tar soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I add skin soothing EO's yes. Ones known to help with skin irritations.

I add skin soothing EO's yes. Ones known to help with skin irritations.

I usually add the lavender, tea tree or/and rosemary EOs in my oily/acne soaps. What do you think about adding these three EOs. Any suggestions?

I am so sorry to ask so many questions. I understand this recipe might not work on my kids but I just want to make sure I made the exact same recipe as yours, if all possible.

I have yet to try it on psoriasis. Nor am o familiar with the affliction. Perhaps someone else can be of assistance on this matter?

My goodness my auto correct is in prime form today! Lol

I don't have any pine tar, but there is jewelweed in my backyard... I may have to make an infusion out of it :D I remember now that I read last year about how it was good for all kinds of inflammation, acne, eczema, etc. and it's a traditional remedy for poison ivy.

I LOVE jewel weed! I use jewelweed extract in most of my acne soaps. I've also used the fresh plants. Wonderful!

I LOVE jewel weed! I use jewelweed extract in most of my acne soaps. I've also used the fresh plants. Wonderful!

If you put Jewelweed in all your acne soaps how can you tell if it's the pine tar or the jewelweed that are giving her these results?

Great results btw, I'm not knocking that .. I'm only curious because there's no point in me using pine tar if it's really the jewelweed that's making the difference for her.

Hi Sinful - Yes, I have noticed a difference. I don't have overly bad skin, but sometimes I get some patches on my feet that the soap takes care of very well. I also gave some to someone with adult acne and it has helped, but I don't have any comparison images, just from what she said. That was a 10% mix, not the 15% so I'll be interested to see what comes from it.

If you put Jewelweed in all your acne soaps how can you tell if it's the pine tar or the jewelweed that are giving her these results?

Great results btw, I'm not knocking that .. I'm only curious because there's no point in me using pine tar if it's really the jewelweed that's making the difference for her.

Because I originally started out with strait pine tar soap. After playing with the recipe a LOT as previous stated, I found a combination that seems to work for problematic skin. I have also tried straight jewelweed soap. Neither had the same effect that the combo bar did. This of course doesn't mean its a rock hard truth. Everyone's skin is different.

Because I originally started out with strait pine tar soap. After playing with the recipe a LOT as previous stated, I found a combination that seems to work for problematic skin. I have also tried straight jewelweed soap. Neither had the same effect that the combo bar did.
Great info 7 .. thanks .. May I ask how you're using the jewelweed and how much you use? I understand you may be hesitant to share your recipe and I respect that, but I know nothing about jewelweed and have no idea how to use it so if you're willing to share a little info I'd really appreciate it.

ETA: I started researching jewelweed only to find it's a native plant in my area (nice!) and this statement, "Jewelweed has traditionally been used to treat skin irritations--notably reactions to poison ivy and nettles, which often grow in the same areas. Controlled studies have not shown the plant to be an effective treatment for these conditions. Research has found fungicidal properties in the plant however, and it has been used to treat athlete's foot." http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/potd/2010/10/impatiens_capensis.php

Last edited:
I have used both extract and the plant itself. Some will say extract won't work some swear by it. It is one of those things you will have to figure out for yourself. There are many ways it can be used, a tea can be made from steeping the plant in water and then used as the water in soaping. You can use the plant itself to make a poultice, you could even add the poultice to soap I would think. Anything you try will have nay sayers. Just fiddle with it until you find something that works for you.

Hi Sinful7, I bought the pine tar yesterday. Now, I never heard about the jewel weed and I googled and found out its benefits. You know I have been making soaps for the past seven years. The pine tar and jewel weed are new to me.

My daughter was so excited about the soap last night when I showed her your niece's picture! She wants to try your soap right away just to see if your soap would work for her or not.

Is any way I can buy your cured pine tar soap right now?

Also where do I buy the jewel weed?

I live where jewelweed grows but I've ordered the extract online before

Be careful you get impatiens capensis and/or impatiens pallida, both natives to North America, if you want true jewelweed.

Latest posts

Back