Pine Tar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone .

I have recently change my pine tar I've been using in my soap to BrickMore pine tar . Its very smokey compare to the other company I was use Horse Health Pine Tar. I was wondering if anyone know of a non smokey smelling pine tar out there they soap with . The Brickmore takes away from my essential oil .

Thanks

I don't think you can get away from the "smokey" smell of pine tar. I actually like it and I think that's what makes it unique. People who buy Pine Tar Soap expect it have that distinctive scent. You could try using a lower % or a different EO blend. There are some suggestions in this thread.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/pine-tar-soap-tips-and-technique.86067/#post-920072
Sounds good ,

I will check it out. I switch brands and it change my whole pine tar . But I had a lot of the other brand left . Happy I did a small batch .

Also I would like to thank you for the help on my other post. Everything worked out . I made my big batch no issue . I really appreciate it your help .

But I had a lot of the other brand left . Happy I did a small batch .
Good thinking! And don't worry about the leftover pine tar. It has a long shelf life. It will be there for you when you next need it.

Also I would like to thank you for the help on my other post.
My pleasure. ;) Glad it worked out for you. :thumbs:

Hi everyone .

I have recently change my pine tar I've been using in my soap to BrickMore pine tar . Its very smokey compare to the other company I was use Horse Health Pine Tar. I was wondering if anyone know of a non smokey smelling pine tar out there they soap with . The Brickmore takes away from my essential oil .

Thanks
Is there a reason you switched? I'm just getting ready to make pine tar soap for the first time and Horse Health is what I found available in my area.

Is there a reason you switched? I'm just getting ready to make pine tar soap for the first time and Horse Health is what I found available in my area.
Horse health to me is the go to. I am not switching . If you don’t mind me asking where did you find it ? Are you in Canada ?

Horse health is the less Smokey smelling then brickmore . I found my essential oil blend works better with horse health .

Brickmore is very Smokey smelling. Which I agree with the people that like it because I don’t mind it . That’s why I’m coming up with a different pine tar that I can release later on down the road .

I think if all personal preference. I would suggest buying both and seeing what you like.

I also notice you can buy bigger cans of brickmore than horse health . That what originally got me to purchase .

Key point I learned on here . Make sure to heat up pine tar . It literally made making pine tar much easier .

Horse health to me is the go to. I am not switching . If you don’t mind me asking where did you find it ? Are you in Canada ?
I'm in the US and found it at Bomgaars.

Horse health is the less Smokey smelling then brickmore . I found my essential oil blend works better with horse health .
Oh, that's good to hear!

Brickmore is very Smokey smelling. Which I agree with the people that like it because I don’t mind it . That’s why I’m coming up with a different pine tar that I can release later on down the road .

I think if all personal preference. I would suggest buying both and seeing what you like.

I also notice you can buy bigger cans of brickmore than horse health . That what originally got me to purchase .

Key point I learned on here . Make sure to heat up pine tar . It literally made making pine tar much easier .
I did open the can and it did smell a little smokey, but I didn't get a burned rubber smell so I was happy about that. I was a little worried after seeing all the comments. I like the smell of campfires though so thinking maybe I'll try Brickmore next.

I do HP so planning on warming it first then adding it either after the cook or right at the end of the cook, before the lye is gone totally. I might split the batch up during the final stage and do half before complete saponification and the other half after cook. Just to see if there is a difference.

I'm in the US and found it at Bomgaars.

Oh, that's good to hear!

I did open the can and it did smell a little smokey, but I didn't get a burned rubber smell so I was happy about that. I was a little worried after seeing all the comments. I like the smell of campfires though so thinking maybe I'll try Brickmore next.

I do HP so planning on warming it first then adding it either after the cook or right at the end of the cook, before the lye is gone totally. I might split the batch up during the final stage and do half before complete saponification and the other half after cook. Just to see if there is a difference.
I think it’s all personal preference. All pine tar will have that Smokey smell . Once you buy brickmore you will see the difference .

I do cold process . I have done hot but I’m not the person to talk to about that .

Good luck to your soap making .

🤞🏻😁

Latest posts

Back