Wonderful pine tar soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinful7

Reaction score
This is why I sell out of pine tar consistently. This is my niece before pic (on the left) and after less than one week using nothing but my pine tar, jewel weed soap. She is excited with the result so far.

1397439167416.jpg

Beautiful girl! I am so glad your soaps work! I have a niece that is plagued by acne, and her mom spends lots of time with her at the dermatologist's office. I think I read somewhere on here that I can buy the pine tar at the co-op. Will try that. Are there other ingredients I should definitely avoid when making this? (No trade secrets, just to avoid a mess.)

Susie, I got mine at Tractor Supply. Sinful, she is a pretty girl. I'm happy for both oh you.

There have been a couple post on pine tar soaps on the forum. Basically though you want to avoid anything that can speed up trace. Pine tar seems to move really fast for me. Lol so no accelerating fragrances. And I only stick blend until emulsified then stir until trace.

Beautiful girl! I am so glad your soaps work! I have a niece that is plagued by acne, and her mom spends lots of time with her at the dermatologist's office. I think I read somewhere on here that I can buy the pine tar at the co-op. Will try that. Are there other ingredients I should definitely avoid when making this? (No trade secrets, just to avoid a mess.)

I would avoid other stuff in general - making a soap for a specific purpose like the PT, so I would never use an FO or anything with a chance of causing a reaction. I don't even use EOs in mine - just simple water, oils and lye.

ETA - I am so glad it's working out for her. Good job, Sinful

wow, that is awesome! you can totally see the improvement on her skin. i'm so happy for her, coz i know for a fact how annoying it is to have acne plaguing your face. i hope she continues to improve.

and good for you, auntie :) you must be very pleased!

I'd like to try this to see if it helps my husbands excema. Does anyone know of a good brand of pine tar in Canada? I have a feed store not far from me that I can check out but I seem to recall that they had more than one brand.

Last edited:
OMG Sinful7! WOW! I have a hope now! I am so happy for your niece, too!

My 16, 14, 12 year old teenagers all have cystic pimples :(. We went to doctor's office several times but the prescribed medicine does not seem to work on them and they don't want to take the medicine every day either. My youngest daughter(12), she is really stressing out about her acne the most that she is now losing her the self confidence. The other day, she said, " mom only if I don't have pimples, I would be prettier....:(" It broke my heart... Her acne does look like your niece and I think I have a hope for her! I am so excited it!

I've already made salt bar, acne lard soap, charcoal, tea tree and several other acne soaps for my kids but nothing has been working for them so far.

Would you mind sharing your pine tar soap recipe? Please, I would love to make it for my kids. Thank you so much.

As soon as I get home near my soaping journal I can tell you. I can't remember off the top of my head

I believe it is only 8-10% I do use some jewelweed extract in my pine tar soaps as well as a couple EO's that are known to help with skin irritations and break outs. After tweaking and swapping out some stuff I finally found a recipe that seems to work pretty consistently on most skin issues.

My last PT batch was 15% PT, 15% CO, 35% palm 35% OO - the recipe doesn't have to be overly complicated, just something that is not going to be doing a lot of irritating or anything.

My first PT batch had less PT, at 10%. It is also very good, but I wanted a lower CO and higher PT this time to see how it goes.

My recipe was 44% OO 34% CO 4% cocoa butter 8% sweet almond oil 10% pine tar. It moves VERY fast do not use a stick blender! But I was able to unmold within 24 hrs.

I wouldn't mind bringing down the CO lvl in this but it works so well like it is for acne/ poison ivy/ eczema ect.

I would be interested to know if the higher lvl of pine tar makes a difference in the level of acne relief? EG have you tested your bars out on problematic skin? If you wouldn't mind sharing your experience?

Thank you Sinful7 and the Efficacious Gentleman for sharing recipe.

Do you add any EOs? Please let me know where I can purchase a good pine tar. I personally never seen it before.

Thanks again for giving a hope for my kids! I am going to make both Sinful7 & the EG's recipes.

Back