Why does the alkanet not yield purple?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is pH sensitive. The best purple I got from alkanet was in batch I botched that I ended up having to hot process. The batter was blah forest green until it was nearly done cooking; then it turned (and stayed) purple. I used about 1/4 tsp ppo, added to my fragrance. Here's the thread:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=40965

CaraBou - hmmm gelling might make a difference.... but I don't like gelled soap, it looks waxy to me, not creamy. Hmmmm. TY for the tip, I'm considering all the options available :)

I have ZERO luck with Indigo Root Powder... so I stopped trying...

But Alkanet has always been good to me. I sometimes get a deep purple, or light blue look - which I really do like. It is a little speckly - even if I SB it into a small portion of the batter first...

Consuela - the indigo is giving trouble for sure. I'm still learning the quirks of using it. I'm going to order woad soon and see if that's and easier route to getting blue.

I used some infused alkanet and it turned green when saponified - I added it at start of saponification. I was very disappointed at the time but by next day the soap was a gentle lavender/grey colour. I didn't use much infused oil.

I used some infused alkanet and it turned green when saponified - I added it at start of saponification. I was very disappointed at the time but by next day the soap was a gentle lavender/grey colour. I didn't use much infused oil.

soapysarah - I haven't tried infusing yet, so that's good to know. I'll add it to the list, TY :)

I have used alkanet root powder from botanic soap.com before and got a really pretty dark purple. I did notice that it was kind of rough tho. It almost turned it into an exfoliating bar as you can feel the grains in the powder.
It worked for me adding in very small amounts at a time that had been mixed with oil.

When using purple mica powder from wholesalesuppliesplus.com, I did however get a brown color when I used light purple... Those are trickier then using the alkanet! Just keep playing around and keep in mind a little does go a very long way!

Using an infusion keeps the soap smooth as there are no bits. I cannot recall how much of the infused oil I used (it's in my recipe book somewhere as I keep a note of everything I do and how it turns out.) It wasn't a lot and the resulting soap is a pale purple with a slight grey tone - very acceptable. I've not done much on the infusing front but love playing around with recipes. I have infused green tea and am trying out coffee at the moment.

I've had good luck with alkanet, Ive always infused it in olive oil and just used that, but its very possible to use too much. I typically warm infuse and then leave the infusions and use over weeks or months.

he one in the back was with bentonite clay and alkanet:
attachment.php

This one isnt pretty because my trace got too thick, but the purple turned out well:
attachment.php

I think this one was a nice bluish purple
attachment.php

Just saw this thread while waiting to get some supplies to colour soap naturally. Not to take away from Gigi's planned experimenting but has anyone read the ebook from Ruth Esteves on Coloring Soap Naturally?

I just bought it and she goes through several colorants including Alkanet root powder and shows pics when it is added at trace v.s. in the lye v.s. as an infusion. She also shows each when gelled and not gelled. No I have never met the author and am not a seller of books!! Can't find the link now but if you look up the Nova Studio website/blog you can find the book and a page that shows what ingredients she tested.

The alkanet root powder looked basically the same whichever stage it was added too. I will try some soap in the next few days with alkanet root powder and see if it matches the book. I will try 1 tsp per pound of oils at trace.

Latest posts

Back