What purees have you used in your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleja

Reaction score
I found this thread from 2013 trying to find some information about making a soap with beet puree.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/pumpkin-puree.38892/

Thought it would be fun to share what purees have you used and any fun/relevant thing you can share.

I'll start, so far I've only used carrot puree added at trace, it stayed orange-y (maybe if I had added more it would've been more intense). Only thing I can point out is it got really hot (as expected) and I had to put it in the freezer. Other than that I mostly use juices not purees.

Also I'm unsure as to if this is the right place to post this thread but it seemed appropriate.

Pumpkin - kind of a dull orange brown. I like to pump up the color with some beta carotene.

Banana + milk - blended together a banana and some evaporated milk. Felt nice, but I always get a sour milk smell from milk soap, so I'd try it just banana. Used a discoloring FO so i'm not sure about how it looked.

Cucumber + yogurt. Colored the soap a pale green, so if there was any discoloration it was slight.

Pumpkin - kind of a dull orange brown. I like to pump up the color with some beta carotene.

Banana + milk - blended together a banana and some evaporated milk. Felt nice, but I always get a sour milk smell from milk soap, so I'd try it just banana. Used a discoloring FO so i'm not sure about how it looked.

Cucumber + yogurt. Colored the soap a pale green, so if there was any discoloration it was slight.

I've never soaped with banana but intend to soap with plantain sometime soon, I'll post the results in this thread whenever I do it.

Just recently, Black Cherries (details here)

Previously:

carrot - nice orange-ish yellow, depending on how much I used (a few times)
avocado - turned ugly brown (tried 2 or 3 times)
red tomato sauce - Twice, it turned pale beige - I probably didn't use enough (I used about 1/16 weight of oils as purée)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I have not used beet purée, but beet powder turned tan, almost indiscernible. The only color in the soap was the layer I added mica to. The other two layers where different shades of tan (more, different methods of mixing the powder into the soap - one in lye solution, the other not). The beet powder soap was very ugly, but I hope with cure it will become more acceptable considering how much work I put into it.

cucumber
tomato
blueberry
strawberry
muscadine grapes
mango
pumpkin
sweet potato

Avocado puree is the only puree I've ever used.

Although I haven't made it in awhile, I have a 'specialty' soap in my repertoire in which I use 1 tbsp avocado puree ppo, and use fresh cucumber juice as my liquid. I juice the whole cucumber- peels and all- then strain it before adding my lye to it. I stickblend the avocado puree in with my oils before adding the lye solution.

Believe it or not, it stays a nice shade of pastel/sage green (without morphing), but with a little help in the form of just a pinch of chromium hydroxide green and a little titanium dioxide ppo. A pinch might not seem like much, but a little chromium hydroxide green goes a loooong way. To measure my colorants, I use one of those specialty pinch, dash, smidge measuring spoons.

IrishLass :)

I've used pumpkin, carrot, and avocado, but the only one I use regularly is the carrot. I have a friend who insists that the carrot is the Super Special Ingredient, so I have to put it into her bars. I add to my oils and reduce my liquid.

I did years ago to play with, but just don't trust how it will look over time, morph color & scent. Or just plain go bad.

Latest posts

Back