SMF September 2023 Un-Challenge - Simple Pleasures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! We live on Long Island just outside NYC. Where is your holiday water from, that will make a special bar for sure!
We went for a long holiday weekend on the English coast, near Cromer. My friends all brought their dogs, so it was mostly walking the dogs along the beach (and who can’t appreciate beach-wet dog smell?)
I’m going to make some soap from the water and give it to my friends. I’m just trying to figure out the design. I’m thinking of a beach, and trying to figure out how to incorporate/represent the 3 dogs.

My simple pleasure was making soap while visiting my mom in Woodinville, WA. I made soap molds for the first time using a Pringles can (my husband was happy to eat the chips) and a Cheetos box (again, my husband was happy to eat the contents). I bought HO sunflower oil at an at a local store, and ordered other ingredients on Amazon.
View attachment 74629

My mom can use only unscented soap, but I wanted to do a swirl and a natural fragrance, so I ordered Cocoa butter to make chocolate soap. I colored the dark chocolate portion with a half square of unsweetened chocolate. I’m not sure what caused the bloom at the top of the bars. It is not soda ash. One bar home and planned it, and it’s beautiful. The reddish chocolate swirls turned dark brown after being exposed to the air for a day. With a very high amount of cocoa butter, these bars smell divine!
View attachment 74627

I made Shea butter soap in the Pringles can. I filled it exactly to the top, but learned it was mistake as the soap batter tried to grow out of the can as it gelled. Later, I learned that I needed to leave the top inch unfilled. The soap shrank most of the way back into the can, and my mom got to cut it.
View attachment 74628

My mom has enjoyed my soaps for years, but these bars will be special because she got to watch me make them. ❤️

I’ll add one other simple pleasure: I got to meet a soap maker from the board and talk about soap! This is the second time in the last few months I got to meet in person with another soap maker from SMF. 😊
It was me! Waves hand 👋🏼

For my simple pleasure- I’m playing with toddler gift soaps for my friends’ grandkids.

I used beef tallow, coconut oil (reduced to 15% so not too cleansing), olive oil and castor oil, my usuals, and then added Shea butter for more creaminess. I used Kaolin clay for color, and just 1.5% lavender EO.

I was playing with using pink and blue confetti or the pools of white and blue. The blue is a mica. I think I like the pools of blue better.

I appreciate any comments and feedback on this as a toddler soap, good or bad, as I’m going to make some more, this is my practice batch.

I made sure the plastic toys didn’t have a drain hole in the bottom, which would have constantly drained water into the soap.

Anyway, I think they look happy!
I absolutely love this and hope I will have grandkids to make soap for someday! I wonder if there’s a tiny little duckie soap mold? Of course, how would one paint the faces? Hmmmm ideas popping in my brain!

Latest posts

Back