How long have you been soaping? Or Happy Soap-A-Versary to me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy soap-a-versary! šŸ§¼šŸ«§šŸŽ‰ your latest swirls look absolutely lovely!

I hope I can get as good as all of you, but I have my doubts šŸ˜… Iā€™ve been soaping since last September and controlling trace seems to be beyond meā€¦

My first soap failures were just plain colored soaps, so they failed in non-photogenic ways; one was the consistency of cheese sticks, another was an olive oil soap unwittingly superfatted at over 30%! Now, I struggle with anything involving more than 1 color. I tried some months back @Zany_in_COā€™s tip about crayons for color, and I was super keen to try using squirt bottles like I saw on YouTube, but as usual for me, the trace was too fast. I created ā€œartworkā€ Iā€™m sure parents of small children can relate to:
View attachment 73060
Not laughing at your soap - laughing at your comments :)

Happy Soapaversary! I made my first batch of CP soap on January 30th, 2020. Took this picture of my curing rack on February 17th, 2020. You could say I caught the bug pretty quick. 425 batches laterā€¦

Attachments

• IMG_7488.png
    IMG_7488.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
I have been making soap forā€¦ hmmm.. letā€™s see.. carry the two, account for the turn of the centuryā€¦ I think like 25 years. I don't have any photos of those early soaps. When we moved my mom into a retirement facility in December (sheā€™s 98) she still had some of my early soaps. They wereā€¦ unsavory. But Iā€™ve only gotten super serious (completely obsessed) in the last couple years. šŸ˜ƒ Now I am all soap all the time.

I made my first two bars of soap in mid-February with a girlfriend of mine who teaches craft classes. When she said come on over, I thought were would going to make the soap from scratch, but it was M&P. Because I was thinking we'd make a really natural product - one color with the point being the ingredients, I hadn't given the slightest thought to anything else. I decided to just layer some colors and I started with a thin layer of white base. She said the clear M&P will give me brighter colors if I wanted to try colorants (as opposed to the white base). So, I poured some green. It was looking extremely plain but I didn't know what to do. She had a bunch of little soap embeds and decorations she'd made in the past - most were way to cute for me. I'm not much for decorating with flowers but I found a little daisy that at least didn't clash. I meant to put it in the center but I accidently dropped it on the corner. I was going to pick it off and try again but the soap was already setting - I work super slow.... I decided to pour a little more soap to help secure the flower in its place. The soap was really cooling off and by the time I finished, a little chunk dripped out of the cup. When I finished, I realized it looked like a stem. It actually improved the look! My second try that same day was an oval shaped bar in three layers- yellow , blue and green. It was so hideous that a couple weeks later, I chopped it up, stuffed it into a 4 oz mold and poured clear M&P around it. It is the second photo. It's nothing special but looks alot better than it did in its original form. The next day, I went online and bought a few jungle molds. I had only seen them in solid colors and it was my intent to pour these molds with solid, muted colors. But, the molds were really small and a little mis-shapen!!! I didn't think they'd make a nice gift for anyone! I ended up pouring different colors and when it set, I put it in a regular 4 oz mold and poured around the little soaps. A sister of mine has traveled alot in African countries and her sister-in-law owns and elephant farm/sanctuary in Arkansas. So, I sent these to her.

I have bought various oils to make cold process soap, but I haven't worked up the courage to try it. I've been experimenting with colors, different designs, and some cute soaps for kids. I'm really impressed at what everyone has done with cold process on their first try! Maybe I'll get my courage up before my oils go rancid ....

Attachments

• 1x-green'w'flower.jpg
    1x-green'w'flower.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-Soap-embeds-3'1'2023-4907.jpg
    2-Soap-embeds-3'1'2023-4907.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-Elephanit-Soap-Mold-3'1'2023.jpg
    2-Elephanit-Soap-Mold-3'1'2023.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-Rhino'soap'mold-3'1'2023-4907.jpg
    2-Rhino'soap'mold-3'1'2023-4907.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 0
Well, today is my 1 year soap-a-versary! Woo hoo! How does one celebrate a soap-a-versary? I think Iā€™ll make some soap to celebrate - LOL!

I remember thinking everyone here was sensei level soapers, and itā€™s been fun to see everyone support newbies, share successes and the occasional what-the-fudgescicle happened soapy session. Soooo, to celebrate ā€œmyā€ day, will you post how long youā€™ve been soaping, and maybe a picture of an early on your journey soap and your favorite soap? Idk - go crazy, you get the idea!

Iā€™ve got 1 bar left from my first batch of CP - and Iā€™m going to use it next šŸŒø

View attachment 73019
Well, today is my 1 year soap-a-versary! Woo hoo! How does one celebrate a soap-a-versary? I think Iā€™ll make some soap to celebrate - LOL!

I remember thinking everyone here was sensei level soapers, and itā€™s been fun to see everyone support newbies, share successes and the occasional what-the-fudgescicle happened soapy session. Soooo, to celebrate ā€œmyā€ day, will you post how long youā€™ve been soaping, and maybe a picture of an early on your journey soap and your favorite soap? Idk - go crazy, you get the idea!

Iā€™ve got 1 bar left from my first batch of CP - and Iā€™m going to use it next šŸŒø

View attachment 73019
@dmcgee5054, really nice. I like those soft colors.

Congratulations on your one year anniversary! I'm not sure of the exact date of my first batch, but am pretty sure it was in January of 2015. I'm not home at least until tomorrow, so this is a soap I made for the first SMF challenge I was eligible for in August 2015
View attachment 73021
@dibbles, looks to me like you got pretty good, pretty fast. Nice soap!

Congrats~

I still have until September! :oops: This one was my first cold process! A 100% CO 20% SF soap made with sea water and a healthy amount of partial gel šŸ¤£ I have that top left bar in my stash still. I've yet to make another 100% CO soap again, but it's on the (long) list.

View attachment 73022

(But... my MP anniversary is December 2018 šŸ¤­)
@basti, I love those colors. I can't believe that was your first cold process.

Wow, everyone here is so clever! All of your batches amaze me. Mine are very simple, no colorants. Iā€™ve only been soaping a few months, but Iā€™ve been making body butters and scrubs since 2019.

Edited to add photos. These are my first and second batches. I know, second batch has air bubbles....sighs. But I learned something from it! First batch is a little irregular. I lined a silicone loaf pan with parchment paper. Since these are for self, family, friends, doesn't matter if it's pretty as long as it suits the purpose. I will keep creating until I feel like I'm ready to get a little fancier with colors, fragrances, and styles. I made batches 3 and 4 yesterday! Used a cute paw print mold and an oval mold that has a printed pattern. I can unmold them this afternoon.
Wow, everyone here is so clever! All of your batches amaze me. Mine are very simple, no colorants. Iā€™ve only been soaping a few months, but Iā€™ve been making body butters and scrubs since 2019.

Edited to add photos. These are my first and second batches. I know, second batch has air bubbles....sighs. But I learned something from it! First batch is a little irregular. I lined a silicone loaf pan with parchment paper. Since these are for self, family, friends, doesn't matter if it's pretty as long as it suits the purpose. I will keep creating until I feel like I'm ready to get a little fancier with colors, fragrances, and styles. I made batches 3 and 4 yesterday! Used a cute paw print mold and an oval mold that has a printed pattern. I can unmold them this afternoon. :)
@MomInWA, you're ahead of me! One of these days I'll get my courage up to make cold process, I will definitely start plain! I'm sure your friends and family are thoroughly enjoying your soap!

Happy soap-a-versary! šŸ§¼šŸ«§šŸŽ‰ your latest swirls look absolutely lovely!

I hope I can get as good as all of you, but I have my doubts šŸ˜… Iā€™ve been soaping since last September and controlling trace seems to be beyond meā€¦

My first soap failures were just plain colored soaps, so they failed in non-photogenic ways; one was the consistency of cheese sticks, another was an olive oil soap unwittingly superfatted at over 30%! Now, I struggle with anything involving more than 1 color. I tried some months back @Zany_in_COā€™s tip about crayons for color, and I was super keen to try using squirt bottles like I saw on YouTube, but as usual for me, the trace was too fast. I created ā€œartworkā€ Iā€™m sure parents of small children can relate to:
View attachment 73060
@Blufuz, at least you're going for it! You're ahead of me!

Happy Soapaversary! I made my first batch of CP soap on January 30th, 2020. Took this picture of my curing rack on February 17th, 2020. You could say I caught the bug pretty quick. 425 batches laterā€¦
@Jersey Girl, seriously? You did all that in a month? Pretty impressive, those soaps are amazing! We all have different natural talents. I'm assuming soaping is one of your natural talents !

I made my first CP soap in 2007 I think. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) I donā€™t have a pic of my first batch, but it was scented with juniper berry eo, and I was HOOKED! Still am and expect to always be making soap as long as I am able. These are a few of the soaps Iā€™ve made but I have no idea of the exact date.

Attachments

• 26DDD06F-5D3F-47FE-A832-BA514A272B9D.jpeg
    26DDD06F-5D3F-47FE-A832-BA514A272B9D.jpeg
    793.9 KB · Views: 0
I made my first two bars of soap in mid-February with a girlfriend of mine who teaches craft classes. When she said come on over, I thought were would going to make the soap from scratch, but it was M&P. Because I was thinking we'd make a really natural product - one color with the point being the ingredients, I hadn't given the slightest thought to anything else. I decided to just layer some colors and I started with a thin layer of white base. She said the clear M&P will give me brighter colors if I wanted to try colorants (as opposed to the white base). So, I poured some green. It was looking extremely plain but I didn't know what to do. She had a bunch of little soap embeds and decorations she'd made in the past - most were way to cute for me. I'm not much for decorating with flowers but I found a little daisy that at least didn't clash. I meant to put it in the center but I accidently dropped it on the corner. I was going to pick it off and try again but the soap was already setting - I work super slow.... I decided to pour a little more soap to help secure the flower in its place. The soap was really cooling off and by the time I finished, a little chunk dripped out of the cup. When I finished, I realized it looked like a stem. It actually improved the look! My second try that same day was an oval shaped bar in three layers- yellow , blue and green. It was so hideous that a couple weeks later, I chopped it up, stuffed it into a 4 oz mold and poured clear M&P around it. It is the second photo. It's nothing special but looks alot better than it did in its original form. The next day, I went online and bought a few jungle molds. I had only seen them in solid colors and it was my intent to pour these molds with solid, muted colors. But, the molds were really small and a little mis-shapen!!! I didn't think they'd make a nice gift for anyone! I ended up pouring different colors and when it set, I put it in a regular 4 oz mold and poured around the little soaps. A sister of mine has traveled alot in African countries and her sister-in-law owns and elephant farm/sanctuary in Arkansas. So, I sent these to her.

I have bought various oils to make cold process soap, but I haven't worked up the courage to try it. I've been experimenting with colors, different designs, and some cute soaps for kids. I'm really impressed at what everyone has done with cold process on their first try! Maybe I'll get my courage up before my oils go rancid ....
OOOOOOOOOOO your elephant and rhino soaps are so cool!

Iā€™ve been soaping since spring 2019. Thanks for making me count backward to figure it out! I hadnā€™t realized Iā€™d been soaping that long! I still consider myself an amateur and look up to all the senseis here who have such beautiful soaps. I donā€™t get to soap often, but love using the product and sharing beautiful soap with family!

About 4 weeks lol :)

Iā€™m including a pic of my first two attempts. Letā€™s just say that lye water is not enough heat to melt kokum and mango butters plus coconut oil.

I had to heat up the lye/oil solution on the stove and it riced.

The second one ended up with lots of chunks of kaolin clay everywhere.

IMG_1813.jpeg

Two weeks later I tried again and these are prettier but are taking much longer to become hard. But maybe being a little bendable after a week is normal?

IMG_1817.jpeg

Last edited:
Happy soap-iversary!

I made my first batch of cold process soap late March 2020. I was sooooo nervous the first time I opened a bottle of sodium hydroxide that Iā€™d had in my garage for a good five years. I just didnā€™t ever feel ready to make soap. Also, I was nervous about working with sodium hydroxide. I watched a LOT of soap videos in that time, though.

When my very productive life came to a screeching halt during COVID lockdown, I desperately needed something to keep me occupied.

I donā€™t have a photo of the first batch i made and I gave most of the bars awayā€”it was unscented and uncolored. Which gave me a reason to make more soap. And then I made more soap. And more soap. It got its hooks in me pretty deep.

This was one of the first dozen batches of soap I made. Itā€™s still sitting in a box. Not good quality of soap so Iā€™ve only used half of one bar because it make my skin very very itchy. Learned only after how to better formulate recipes. One of these days I want to recreate the design.

4B996810-3BC5-4534-942B-8161D19C42F3.jpeg
6E2A6D8D-ED53-40F9-B0E6-7F638AEB36D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Happy soap-iversary!

I made my first batch of cold process soap late March 2020. I was sooooo nervous the first time I opened a bottle of sodium hydroxide that Iā€™d had in my garage for a good five years. I just didnā€™t ever feel ready to make soap. Also, I was nervous about working with sodium hydroxide. I watched a LOT of soap videos in that time, though.

When my very productive life came to a screeching halt during COVID lockdown, I desperately needed something to keep me occupied.

I donā€™t have a photo of that batch and I gave most of the bars away. Which gave me a reason to make more soap. And then I made more soap. And more soap. This was one of the first dozen batches of soap I made. Itā€™s still sitting in a box. Not good quality of soap so Iā€™ve only used half of one bar because it make my skin very very itchy. Learned only after how to better formulate recipes. One of these days I want to recreate it.
Have you tried it again recently? I put away some of my first bars of CP soap (circa 2019, maybe?), because they made my skin dry, tight, and irritated. I then found them in a box about two years later, and oh my - they were so mild and lovely!

I've been making soap since around 2010 or 2011, from the best that I can tell from saved recipes and emails. I never thought to save any pictures from the first years; they were all HP, mostly uncolored and made in simple loaf molds. I don't think I tried CP until around 2018 or so - around the time I joined SMF, actually! My very first CP recipe was the Lovely Greens Bergamot Earl Grey recipe. I was so impatient with how long it took to firm up. Then came the wait for it to cure. šŸ˜†

The first pics of any of my soaps (below) were taken in mid-to-late 2019. The first is a fluid HP, colored with charcoal and carob powder. The second was my first-ever time using honey - you can see all the honey spots! The third pic shows one of my early CP batches; these were coffee-scrub salt bars.

1687288857012.jpeg1687288922460.jpeg1687289168636.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you tried it again recently? I put away some of my first bars of CP soap (circa 2019, maybe?), because they made my skin dry, tight, and irritated. I then found them in a box about two years later, and oh my - they were so mild and lovely!
Iā€™ve thought about it. Iā€™ll try tonight and report back!

Happy soapyversary!

I made my first batch in April 2019. It was I colored and unscentedā€¦..I really just wanted to see if I could do it. I used a Jan Berry (Nerdy Farm Wife) recipe that my daughter had tried and sent to me. I made itā€¦..and it actually worked! I was so excited! I donā€™t get to soap as much as Iā€™d like so unfortunately my skills havenā€™t advanced as much as Iā€™d likeā€¦.but I still love doing it.

This looks like HP, but it wasnā€™t. Who knows what happened, lol. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

IMG_1650.jpeg

Love this! Have been soaping for real since 2019, though my mom first tried to teach me in the early 90's. And I was so terrified of the lye that it took decades to realize how amazingly weird and wonderful soaping is! Here's one of my first batches (ugh, they were so soft!) where I got alien brains and thus found this forum after lots of googling. I've learned so much from this group. So much gratitude.
20190806_183424.jpg

I started making soap in 2017. This is one of the oldest pictures I have found and they might be the first soaps. I remember it was Uncolored and unfragranced, and it took a while to harden because I was using old lye, unbeknown to me at the time. I had bought supplies from someone in Craiglist for $25 to try.

Attachments

• A111AC24-58AC-41FA-BACB-8BE692395E02.jpeg
    A111AC24-58AC-41FA-BACB-8BE692395E02.jpeg
    987.1 KB · Views: 0
Happy soap-iversary!

I donā€™t have a photo of the first batch i made and I gave most of the bars awayā€”it was unscented and uncolored. Which gave me a reason to make more soap. And then I made more soap. And more soap. It got its hooks in me pretty deep.

This was one of the first dozen batches of soap I made. Itā€™s still sitting in a box. Not good quality of soap so Iā€™ve only used half of one bar because it make my skin very very itchy. Learned only after how to better formulate recipes. One of these days I want to recreate the design.

View attachment 73101View attachment 73102

@The_Phoenix , that's a really pretty soap and what a nice design. Looks like it took alot of time and planning.

I've been making soap since around 2010 or 2011, from the best that I can tell from saved recipes and emails. I never thought to save any pictures from the first years; they were all HP, mostly uncolored and made in simple loaf molds. I don't think I tried CP until around 2018 or so - around the time I joined SMF, actually! My very first CP recipe was the Lovely Greens Bergamot Earl Grey recipe. I was so impatient with how long it took to firm up. Then came the wait for it to cure. šŸ˜†

The first pics of any of my soaps (below) were taken in mid-to-late 2019. The first is a fluid HP, colored with charcoal and carob powder. The second was my first-ever time using honey - you can see all the honey spots! The third pic shows one of my early CP batches; these were coffee-scrub salt bars.

View attachment 73103View attachment 73104View attachment 73105

Did you end up trying the soap again afterall as suggested by AliOop? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you ! If it's turn mild and usable, I'm sure you'll have friends and family lined up to get one of those bars!

Fun thread! I've only been soaping for three months, but I went from my first batch ([Olive/Lard/Castor] stirred with a whisk I mounted in a power drill and molded in a quart milk carton) to about 70 bars in two weeks... I don't have photos of the first batch, but I've gotten a bit better at record keeping since then.

Congratulations on celebrating your 'soap-a-versary.'

Attachments

• IMG6094781731362705534.jpg
    IMG6094781731362705534.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230402_221758616.jpg
    PXL_20230402_221758616.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230408_215453930.jpg
    PXL_20230408_215453930.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts