What most unusual item have you used as a mold ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I've seen the bubble wrap effect but it's just surface. I'm trying to think of a way to get that type of effect all the way through. Thanks for the head's up, though!

Has anyone used those individual fruit cup containers? The Dole ones are fluted and have a nice inverted dome on the bottom, which would be the top of the soap. I didn't know if they'd look too much like boobs (despite the inversion on top). Sorry if anyone feels that's inappropriate- I have a 12 yo son and these things come up a lot. I've learned to look at things through a pubescent kid's eyes and now I'm more careful.

I see what you mean about the boobs - I have a 35 year old son, well, husband! :lol:

I think it'd work though. Our son (who's actually 5) eats the dole mandarin oranges and the cups don't resemble that at all. You could always only pour them 1/2 full so they aren't as high.

I was looking around my kitchen yesterday as I had too much leftover soap & never bothered to look in the fridge to see what I could use - but now I know I've got jello cups, fruit cups, applesauce cups, heck - we could even save the matchbox car boxes that santa always seems to bring!

Oh, I like the idea of the matchbox car packaging. IT would be a bit bigger than the KFC jelly idea for sample bars (excellent idea, BTW), but good as little treats or guest soaps. Would you mind considering it stolen?

Not at all! I'm sure we'll come up with thousands of more ideas - especially with Christmas around the corner. Imagine us...at home unwrapping presents and our family members start picking up the trash (assuming pigs fly, of course!). All of a sudden we come out of nowhere yelling

"NOOOOOOO - I need that for a mold!"

loveit_latherit said:
Has anyone used pvc pipe cut lengthwise to make semi circle soap? I was just thinking that would be neat.

I have a piece of PVC pipe that is 4" diameter and when the soap is ready to come out of the mold, I cut it in half making a semi circle

rubyslippers - that is so cool! Do you have a pic?

I just got a drain pipe gonna try it with wooden armature to keep it from bowing out.

Any suggestions on how to get soap out easily? Should I pop in fridge or freezer after 24hrs? Should I let it gel then pop in fridge and push it through? What is the easiest way to remove CP? I think HP willslide out if I put in freezer after a day for like 5 hrs... Any suggestions? Thanks!

loveit_latherit said:
rubyslippers - that is so cool! Do you have a pic?

No, sorry...don't have any bars left or I would post a pic. My DH made be a couple of wooden molds and I usually grab those first when I make a batch. Will have to get the pvc off the shelf and make some more using it.

Since my pvc is 4", it's easy to slip a sheet of freezer wrap in the tube so I don't lubricate the tube itself. When soap is ready, I just tug on the paper and it pulls the soap right out of the tube.

newbie said:
What do you use to get it cut straight down the middle?

I slice the whole loaf (like slicing bread) with a krinkle cutter and then just eyeball each slice & cut in in half to make the semi circle.

sounds nice Ribyslippers! When you do happen to have a photo please post!

I love all these great ideas! I just poured a cp drain pipe last night - Used stormwatch by Peak and colored with purple blue and gray - we will see later!!!

It accelerated a bit (I CP'd it) but nothing major. I poured in a drain pipe for fisrt time using that as a mold ... Here are pics. I taped wood to hold shape because I personally don't care for thr bowed out look. It's in the freezer and I'll pop out later...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry they are sideways...and dark took with my blackberry

Soapbuddy - I will put it in the fridge next time and try a no gel.

I am in love with my new mold! Well I stuck it in the freezer after soap was done and hit it with the blowdryer upon removing it from freezer (was in for 3 hrs) - slid right out! A tid bit - I cut the drainpipe with a saw so the edge was rough and made scratches in the soap coming out. No biggie for my first experiment with this mold. Love the shape and size! PERFECT for the bathroom sink or guest soaps!

Latest posts

Back