What most unusual item have you used as a mold ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveit_latherit

Reaction score
Ya know those cheap shelves you put together with the pipes? Some are round some are square ... Well I guess it would be the same as PVC - but thinking of scooping in HP for guest size soaps ...

What are some interesting molds you have used?

Those little plastic boxes that jam & honey or butter come in that you get when you get food to go at McDonald's or Kentucky Fried Chicken are perfect for scraping my soap bucket to make a sample bar. I keep a little sample bar from every batch I make so I can see how it ages and I love that they are all uniform in size.

rubyslippers - that is an AWESOME idea! Mind if I steal it?

So far I've not ventured out of the standard molds, but my mind's a-workin!

glenolam said:
rubyslippers - that is an AWESOME idea! Mind if I steal it?

So far I've not ventured out of the standard molds, but my mind's a-workin!

I'm so flattered to have an idea labeled "awesome" :lol: :lol: It is yours to use!

I've cut the top off juice boxes and used those for individual molds. I like them for salt bars especially- I like the chunkier shape and that I can separate them to prevent them from getting too hot. I've recently been working with straws, too.

I have used those new individual Pringles Potato Chip cups for left over soap at the end of a pour and the 2 molds that I am using right now which are plastic Velveeta cheese containers which also have lids and I got them at the Good Will store for 25 cents a piece. These are perfect for a 2 lb batch.

WOW! Lots of creative ways to make molds - but Rubyslippers ... WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!

OMG thanks for the replies keep 'em comming I love how creative everyone is

Cereal boxes cut in half, lined with freezer paper, and supported in shoe box.

I, too, like the small sample bar from McDonald's plastic. Great idea!

I was thinking the same thing, loveit_latherit - Newbie, you could color the base red and use the straws with black soap, then insert the whole thing into a green mold.

I hadn't thought of a pomegranate or watermelon- and I just got pomegranate FO from Peak! I was trying to find a way to get a honeycomb effect, anticipating my Wild Mountain Honey FO from Peak, but this is too disorganized for a honeycomb. I have another idea for that I have to work out now. But the pomegranate...... Thanks for the idea!!!

newbie said:
I hadn't thought of a pomegranate or watermelon- and I just got pomegranate FO from Peak! I was trying to find a way to get a honeycomb effect, anticipating my Wild Mountain Honey FO from Peak, but this is too disorganized for a honeycomb. I have another idea for that I have to work out now. But the pomegranate...... Thanks for the idea!!!

This is not my idea so I don't want to take credit for it but many use small bubble wrap to line their molds for a honeycomb effect. I often just lay bubble wrap on top of the poured soap to get that effect on my OMH soaps.

Straw? For soap? Man, that is just about the coolest idea ever. Who'da thunk it? I gotta give it a whirl.

Now I'm gonna be eyeballing everying to see what else I can use. Thanks for the creative ideas.

Back