What I learned today ....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I learned today.....well actually a few weeks ago......I learned that squirrels like to chew on the insulation of car wires. I know of someone who has had to replace the same wires in their car engine twice in a matter of weeks. A bit of sleuthing revealed the culprit was a pesky, teething squirrel.

I know it probably ages me, but I don't care (I am an old lady after all), I rarely ever make soap without wearing an apron, just as I rarely ever cook without an apron, either.

Full disclosure- I'm 56 yrs. young and always wear an apron when soaping, but I confess to not being as diligent when it comes cooking. With cooking, I tend to get lazy about wearing an apron until a bit of food gets splattered on me.

IrishLass :)

When my daughter was in college and had her first paying internship summer job, she saved nearly all the money she earned. Her one big splurge was a cute apron from Anthropologie. She loved cooking even then. I think she still has that apron 10 years later. I don't wear one but I should. I can be pretty messy.

Looks like I need to buy an apron. Ive ruined 3 of my tshirts for my volunteer work I normally wear on searches and such. Including my favorite one I am wearing in my profile pic. Can you gt them at walmart or is it more of a michaels thing?

The one I have is from Walmart . Cute gingerbread guy on it. Bought it like 20 years ago... just to hang in the kitchen to say that I cook .
I do not cook much lol

I just have Soaping shirts now. And a good reason to go out and buy new t shirts that fit better anyway ;)

Looks like I need to buy an apron. Ive ruined 3 of my tshirts for my volunteer work I normally wear on searches and such. Including my favorite one I am wearing in my profile pic. Can you gt them at walmart or is it more of a michaels thing?
I have 3, two of which I made myself. They're pretty easy to make if you have any kind of sewing skills.

You can find them at Walmart, at cooking stores such as Sur la Table, and yes- at Michael's, too. My Vermont Country Store catalog has 2 that are more all around, 'full coverage' aprons that I have my eye on............ their 'farmhouse apron' and their 'cobbler apron'[URL="http://.

IrishLass "].

IrishLass
:)[/url]

Thanks Lin and IrishLass!
Know what else I learned today? Never read the thread "What soapy mistake did you make today" before you make soap. I just tried to instant rebatch brine soap..Molded it and realized I hadnt added fragrance. Im always fuzzy the day after a migraine so i should have waited. we will see what happens when i try to cut it. I battled for it but it may just be soap bits if it crumbles

Besides aprons I made myself in my youth or that my mom or MIL gave me, I also buy 3-packs of restaurant-style aprons at Sam's Club. I like those the best for everyday wear because they are simple, the ties go around my body twice, so I can tie them in front, and they're cheap. Also they don't have any metal to pull on my hair.

I hate those aprons that have a metal ring on one side or at the back for adjusting the size of the neck-piece because with long hair, it is too easily caught in such contraptions.

You can find aprons in many many places. Walmart is one of those places, I have sometimes seen them, but not often. I've never looked at Michael's, so I don't know.

@earlene I wonder if that is what I don't like about mine, that metal loop for the neck.
:smallshrug:

I will stick with the shirts, I have to wash it anyway and there is always something on my belly because when I lean over I can't see it for the Boob's in the way :( stupid things, always in the way...

I learned today ... that If you hurry in the shower and time it all just perfect that you can get your shower in, coffee made, 4 long loafs cut (bud cutter) and still have time for coffee before a Saturday FM ;) - yeah I pre-packed the car

I learned today.....to double check the cap on the bottom of the tube mold before pouring in the batter:mad:

TIL...that I’ve been basically STEALING shea butter...$355 for 8oz? Highway robbery...if I didn’t already know those strikethrough prices were fake, this would surely set me straight.
IMG_9055.jpg

YOu can get a pound for $10 on Amazon
It's actually really sad how much people inflate prices and get away with it. There's no reason for this kind of deception. It makes things like what we do seem inaccessible for a lot of people when in actuality there are so many ways to make soap and body products without spending an arm and a leg.

What did I learn today or just realize despite myself? I just can't do it all, LOL. Right now I'm taking it easy instead of worrying myself silly over not getting everything done. I'll probably forget in the next hour or so, but c'est la vie.

I learned that fresh ginger root is super plentiful and inexpensive at the Asian supermarket near me. At 69 cents per lb., I bought a huge root that was nearly as big as my head for less than a dollar. They had a huge bin full of them, too.....the size if bin that's usually reserved for large watermelons around the 4th of July! At my regular supermarket fresh ginger roots go for something like 3.99 per lb, are kept in a very small bin ....about the size of a shoebox.... and they are only as big as a newborn baby's fist. I know where I'm buying my fresh ginger from now on!

IrishLass :)

I RE-learned that my recipe is NOT good to do at RT. It gets so thick you are screwed if you wanted to do anything but mix and pour.

I am adding a note to the wall to RE-HEAT if below 110

This week I learned that if you put a bowl of bath bomb mix on the scale and tare it, you can measure what you take out of the bowl. I did not realize that. Basic knowledge perhaps but new to me. That's a game changer!

Today I learned I'm really good at my job - or at least my peers believe me to be really good at my job (which is even better! :) ). What a confidence booster that is. It is the start of end of year reviews, and 35 out of 40 of my colleagues around the globe gave me an above average to excellent review. The other 5 gave me an on track review.
What made it better, is this is not 'typical'. Only about 20% of the people globally get that type of review.
I really didn't believe that statistic until I talked to my old boss who left the company in March, and even he was impressed with the results.

Latest posts

Back