What I learned today ....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I learned that I am an internet troll :lol: ... but seriously... I learned that if you happen to catch the heating/cooling repair guy in the hallway and casually mention that both the heat and a/c are running at odds with each other, he will go fix the system and explain to the maintenance guy why running the system on auto is not efficient. Sitting in my now comfortably temperature controlled office, avoiding the pile of work waiting for me.

Today I learned that I am an internet troll :lol: ... but seriously... I learned that if you happen to catch the heating/cooling repair guy in the hallway and casually mention that both the heat and a/c are running at odds with each other, he will go fix the system and explain to the maintenance guy why running the system on auto is not efficient. Sitting in my now comfortably temperature controlled office, avoiding the pile of work waiting for me.
:lol: @ internet Troll. Im in deep doo doo (Can I say doo doo?) if stating fact is all thats required for the title.

stop, you guys are making me laugh and I need to get back to my couch and watch Ari on MSNBC

I also learned that the Republicans really really suck and if that K guy get in to the Supreme Court I might just have to go down and be one of those protesters in person.
No way I want some Poopy guy taking away my daughters --- or ANY ONE ELSES--- Liberty ! Not only is she Female but also part of the LGBT community !!!! I don't care what sex, color, religion you are. Everyone deserves to be treated Equally and with Respect !

sorry, off my 'soap' box now

Today I learned, soaping in all black and navy blue clothing is not advisable. I made soap and soap playdoh and I am now a patchwork or dusty white, neon pink,baby blue, navy and black..
Lol, that is why I have soaping clothes....... oh wait, ALL my clothes are soaping clothes hahaha

I learned that in order to LEARN something (or in my case, relearn something) you need to Read and Read and search and search.... of course that also means I don't get much else done.

Today I learned getting started with soap making will not be a cheap hobby, $150 in and I still haven't purchased sodium hydroxide, oils, colorants, goggles or gloves. Even melt and pour is expensive when you live out in the sticks, everything costs $20 for shipping. I am ready to get started but it will be at least November before I make my first batch of soap.

Last edited:
everything costs $20 for shipping
How I wish my shipping was that cheap. LOL Only the colorants I buy ship for that or less, everything else is so heavy and on the east coast where as I am in the western part of the country...

For me today, I learned I work with some very lazy people, and it drives me absolutely CRAZY!

Today I learned that high butter soap cracks into shards when cut.

How I wish my shipping was that cheap. LOL Only the colorants I buy ship for that or less, everything else is so heavy and on the east coast where as I am in the western part of the country...

For me today, I learned I work with some very lazy people, and it drives me absolutely CRAZY!

I really want the MadMicas Preppy Blue color. Just that 1 color 4oz. will cost me just shy of $40. I wish there was a store near by that I could buy that stuff at.

I really want the MadMicas Preppy Blue color. Just that 1 color 4oz. will cost me just shy of $40. I wish there was a store near by that I could buy that stuff at.
??? Really? I think there must be something wrong. I would call Jo or Karyn about that. I buy from Mad Micas all the time, and have never paid anywhere near that. My last order only cost $15 and change in shipping costs and I had at least 1-2 lbs or product in there, and they are all the way across the country from me. Are you selecting overnight for your shipping or USPS? I can't imagine that can be right.

As the others have said, Nurture is an excellent mica supplier as well. I buy from them often as well.

??? Really? I think there must be something wrong. I would call Jo or Karyn about that. I buy from Mad Micas all the time, and have never paid anywhere near that. My last order only cost $15 and change in shipping costs and I had at least 1-2 lbs or product in there, and they are all the way across the country from me. Are you selecting overnight for your shipping or USPS? I can't imagine that can be right.

As the others have said, Nurture is an excellent mica supplier as well. I buy from them often as well.

The only thing that pulls up for me as an option is FedEx Ground Home or FedEx 2 Day

Today I learned getting started with soap making will not be a cheap hobby, $150 in and I still haven't purchased sodium hydroxide, oils, colorants, goggles or gloves. Even melt and pour is expensive when you live out in the sticks, everything costs $20 for shipping. I am ready to get started but it will be at least November before I make my first batch of soap.

You are just starting out with soaping? Then unless you plan on making only

You're just starting with soap making? Unless all of your soaps are going to be blue - 4 ounces of one mica color is way more than you need.

You are just starting out with soaping? Then unless you plan on making only

You're just starting with soap making? Unless all of your soaps are going to be blue - 4 ounces of one mica color is way more than you need.

I am new. I thought read it was like a TBSP or 2 per pound or so and supposedly every colorants is different. So I figured maybe an ounce per pound of soap, less for lighter, more for darker. I don't know how all that will work yet so It's going to be learning the hard way for me. Sorry I don't mean to start all this on the wrong thread.

I am new. I thought read it was like a TBSP or 2 per pound or so and supposedly every colorants is different. So I figured maybe an ounce per pound of soap, less for lighter, more for darker. I don't know how all that will work yet so It's going to be learning the hard way for me. Sorry I don't mean to start all this on the wrong thread.
You will need 1-2 tsp, not TBSP per pound of oils in your soap recipe. (Remember, if you are doing multiple colors, you have to account only for the amount you will be coloring a particular color). I find that 1oz is around 12 tsp for many of the micas that I've ordered.

I use approximately 1 tsp ppo that I’m coloring. Sometimes more sometimes less defending on the shade I’m trying to get. It’s easier to add a bit more than to remove too much. Also, if you use too much you could end up with colored lather.

I use approximately 1 tsp ppo that I’m coloring. Sometimes more sometimes less defending on the shade I’m trying to get. It’s easier to add a bit more than to remove too much. Also, if you use too much you could end up with colored lather.

That could be bad.

Attachments

• violet-ww.jpg
    violet-ww.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back