What I learned today about beeswax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All beeswax is not created equal! I'd always bought it from the same supplier until I needed some in a hurry and bought some from a different source. My recent batches of LBs with this new beeswax came out softer and feeling different. So today I bought beeswax from my original and usual supplier (Shay & Co) and made more LBs. These came out fine, just as they always had in the past!
I didn't know that beeswax from different sources could behave so differently. Now I've got to figure out what to do with about 4 lbs of not-so-good beeswax...

Wow, thanks for sharing that info! I wonder if it could be adulterated somehow, or if it just different based on the bees having different food sources, different climates, etc.

Which then makes me wonder if commercial suppliers have a processing method which helps to standardize the contents, for more consistent results?

Fascinating to ponder, and a little scary, as it relates to product consistency.

I've done a lot of reading trying to sort this out, and they say forage, different species, and cleaning processes can all affect the qualities of the beeswax.

The particular beeswax I had trouble with claims a melting point of 147 F. My usual source melts at 149 F. Could those 2 degrees have made such a big difference? Whatever it may be, I'm sticking with tried and true from now on!

Latest posts

Back