What have I done!?!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachyroo

Reaction score
IMG_2200.JPG
Hiya lovely people, this is the 1st time I've posted here so please bear with me. Hopefully I've attached a photo of what I've 'made' today. It was supposed to be, CP goats milk, honey & oats. 6 hrs later I've gone to check how it's getting on & it seems the honey has separated. Everything was weighed etc properly. Any ideas what on earth I've done & if I can still use it.....somehow x

Ok after thinking instead of panicking I think it is gelling lol. Ive never seen it go like that so stupidly assumed it was the honey! Has it just got too hot? So, should I leave it be, freeze it......thank you for your replies btw x

You don't need to freeze it but you can pop it in the fridge so it starts to cool down.
It doesn't look like it overheated but it did get plenty hot.

Honey and Goat's Milk is overheating waiting to happen :D Honey tends to heat hotter and quicker than sugar. Looks like you lucked and just got a gel although in the pic your gel is a partial, did it eventually get to the corners? I would not refrigerate if you see no cracks on the top and if it did not gel to the edges.

It looks like you got a very nice gel going on there without any overheating. :thumbup:

I personally would not place in in the fridge or freezer. I would just leave it where it is and let it finish gelling.

IrishLass :)

Well, with all my other CP I haven't wrapped up as much as I should, so today (Without knowing adding honey makes a massive difference) I put cardboard under & over, wrapped in a towel & put in a warmer room than usual....just my luck to adjust things with an awkward ingredient lol. It's not quite at the edges but it has started hardening nicely. I'll post pics tomorrow so we can all have a laugh:D

There will be nothing to laugh at, it gelled nicely and the resulting bars will be nice.
The very corners are always hard for me to get gelled so I don't worry too much about them. They may be a bit softer than the rest so be careful not to smoosh them when unmolding.

My other half thought it was hilarious as I was running up & downstairs shouting 'I'll unwrap it' ...'I'll re-wrap it'....'I'll freeze it' & 'Please get me that book & my phone' Tbh I didn't properly understand the gel phase until now lol. It's all part of the fun & learning I suppose. Thank you very much for your kind words & advice

I make notes as I am making it. with Results or anything that I did differently.

THEN, I re-write them so I can understand how it was done ;)

I have actually learned to leave extra spaces in between so I can add something as I am making it. I use 5 x 7 yellow lines paper pads.

I've wrote it all down minus the running up & downstairs & panicking lol. Smells amazing. In future I'll just wait & see what happens because previously I've thrown stuff away thinking it was a disaster

Looks wonderful. I love making soap with honey because you typically don’t have any question whether it gelled fully or not....it tells you pretty clearly!

Latest posts

Back