What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying to Australia in March and already thinking about my compression stockings and poor blood flow 😞
From LA to Sydney is an 11-hour flight as I recall. Be sure to tell the flight attendant about your condition. When I did that, she moved me to a seat where I had plenty of leg room. Ahhh. :) I also got up and walked about the cabin every hour to keep the circulation going. :thumbs:

From LA to Sydney is an 11-hour flight as I recall. Be sure to tell the flight attendant about your condition. When I did that, she moved me to a seat where I had plenty of leg room. Ahhh. :) I also got up and walked about the cabin every hour to keep the circulation going. :thumbs:
I heard that before flight i should pop an aspirin. I also have major ear pain and have tried everything except decongestant spray which will be my next step.

I heard that before flight i should pop an aspirin.
I almost added that! 😁 2 Aspirin with a full glass of water to help with blood circulation. The water will help with dehydration. Depending on the brand, repeat every 4-8 hours as specified on the directions. :thumbs: Yawning helps with ear pain. Here in Denver, I feel that kind of pressure when gaining elevation while driving to the mountains. It clears when I hear my ears pop! ;)

I just noticed you're in Winnipeg! Flight time to Sydney is 20 hours! The time diffierence: Sydney is 15 hours ahead of Winnipeg. Plan on sleeping most of that journey if you can! Booze helps, but it also messes you up getting your land legs back the next day. 🥴
https://24timezones.com/difference/winnipeg/sydney
Lmao that’s ok I didn’t want to correct you. But good to know about the 2 aspirins i thought it was just one. As for ear pain…omg i was crying the last time i flew. I have tried swallowing, chewing gum, drinking water and i have flight ear plugs. Nothing is helping so far. My ears just don’t want to pop. I even tried the scuba process for popping ears to no effect

Well, you've got until March to figure it out, right? (Just kidding). I know that pain. It's excruciating.

PS: It's too bad this discussion is in this thread... more people would see it if it had its own thread. There's a lot of medical types around and herbalists too. 🤔Hmmm

Well, you've got until March to figure it out, right? (Just kidding). I know that pain. It's excruciating.

PS: It's too bad this discussion is in this thread... more people would see it if it had its own thread. There's a lot of medical types around and herbalists too. 🤔Hmmm
Perhaps you should start a thread?

Well is there a medical section in this forum…I’m always game to learn things that will help my poor old body 🤭

Lmao that’s ok I didn’t want to correct you. But good to know about the 2 aspirins i thought it was just one. As for ear pain…omg i was crying the last time i flew. I have tried swallowing, chewing gum, drinking water and i have flight ear plugs. Nothing is helping so far. My ears just don’t want to pop. I even tried the scuba process for popping ears to no effect
When I was young, and took up scuba diving, I followed my father's advice & took Sudafed (pseudoephridine), which helped a lot with the pressure changes that cause that ear pain. However, as I got older Sudafed began to elevate my blood pressure, so I had to stop taking it. Nor can I take Ibuprofen, which also elevate my BP.

I suggest you seek out professional advice from your own physician who knows you and your medical conditions and can recommend or prescribe something more appropriate to you and your situation.

A few years ago after repair of an infected root canal procedure, during a flight across country, I had the worst sinus pain ever. At one point I was blowing my nose and grainy stuff came out that looked like coffee grounds. (It was blood in my sinuses caused by the infected root canal procedure.) The xrays my primary physician ordered showed extensive build up in my nasal-sinus (left over from the infected root canal that had not been sufficiently treated with antibiotics). It required a lengthy course of antibiotics to clear up that infection, in fact, by the time that situation was resolved, I had gone through a course of antibiotics at least 4 times and had to have the tooth extracted because the root canal had actually re-infected at least twice before.

One thing I learned from that experience was that some dentists don't normally do xrays of the entire nasal-sinus area (they are all about teeth) so cannot really know if a tooth close to the nasal-sinus cavity is causing a sinus infection. And I also learned that some of my teeth are extremely close to the sinus cavities under my eyes (I am probably not the only one.)

The eustachian tubes are connected to the nasal-sinuses so that is another reason for the ear pain when flying with a sinus infection or even a cold. But anomalies in people do occur and not everyone is the 'standard' build. For example, I learned from a cardiac ablation that my heart is not in the normal 'standard' position that 'most' people's hearts are, which resulted in a normally 20 minute procedure to take 3 hours. So a minor anomaly of the eustachian tubes causing a person to not be able to pop their ears is quite possible. Which is why I say, see your own primary physician; if you have not had this diagnosed, now is the perfect time in that you have several months prior to this flight to get it sorted out. Of course it may not be an anatomical anomaly, but whatever it is, your Doctor is a better advisor than any of us here at SMF are likely to be.

When I was young, and took up scuba diving, I followed my father's advice & took Sudafed (pseudoephridine), which helped a lot with the pressure changes that cause that ear pain. However, as I got older Sudafed began to elevate my blood pressure, so I had to stop taking it. Nor can I take Ibuprofen, which also elevate my BP.

I suggest you seek out professional advice from your own physician who knows you and your medical conditions and can recommend or prescribe something more appropriate to you and your situation.

A few years ago after repair of an infected root canal procedure, during a flight across country, I had the worst sinus pain ever. At one point I was blowing my nose and grainy stuff came out that looked like coffee grounds. (It was blood in my sinuses caused by the infected root canal procedure.) The xrays my primary physician ordered showed extensive build up in my nasal-sinus (left over from the infected root canal that had not been sufficiently treated with antibiotics). It required a lengthy course of antibiotics to clear up that infection, in fact, by the time that situation was resolved, I had gone through a course of antibiotics at least 4 times and had to have the tooth extracted because the root canal had actually re-infected at least twice before.

One thing I learned from that experience was that some dentists don't normally do xrays of the entire nasal-sinus area (they are all about teeth) so cannot really know if a tooth close to the nasal-sinus cavity is causing a sinus infection. And I also learned that some of my teeth are extremely close to the sinus cavities under my eyes (I am probably not the only one.)

The eustachian tubes are connected to the nasal-sinuses so that is another reason for the ear pain when flying with a sinus infection or even a cold. But anomalies in people do occur and not everyone is the 'standard' build. For example, I learned from a cardiac ablation that my heart is not in the normal 'standard' position that 'most' people's hearts are, which resulted in a normally 20 minute procedure to take 3 hours. So a minor anomaly of the eustachian tubes causing a person to not be able to pop their ears is quite possible. Which is why I say, see your own primary physician; if you have not had this diagnosed, now is the perfect time in that you have several months prior to this flight to get it sorted out. Of course it may not be an anatomical anomaly, but whatever it is, your Doctor is a better advisor than any of us here at SMF are likely to be.
Omygosh Earlene!! This is horrible for you! And ok i guess i should see my doc because i am on blood pressure medication so don’t want to mess that up. I sure hope this isn’t the end of my flying days because i love to travel as I’m sure you do too. I am jealous of the people that just fly the sky with no issues. Thank you for posting.

I made my first shampoo bars using the Humblebee & Me Sulfate-Free Shampoo Bar with Rice Starch . Mine came out much softer than hers. I know this because she says they harden up in 3-4 days, and so far it's been 10 days and they're not hard enough yet.

I think the fault is with me and not the recipe. It's only a 100g bar (which I split into two 50g bars so someone else can try them too), and it's hard to measure such small quantities exactly, even though I have a scale with 0.01g accuracy. I also used slightly more fragrance and more preservative because I used a different one that calls for a bit more. I added some kaolin clay after a day or two, just to speed up the drying (and I know she puts clay in her other bars). I can't wait to try them, but I don't want to ruin them by trying before they're hard enough.

Last edited:
I made my first shampoo bars using the Humblebee & Me Sulfate-Free Shampoo Bar with Rice Starch . Mine came out much softer than hers. I know this because she says they harden up in 3-4 days, and so far it's been 10 days and they're not hard enough yet.

I think the fault is with me and not the recipe. It's only a 100g bar (which I split into two 50g bars so someone else can try them too), and it's hard to measure such small quantities exactly, even though I have a scale with 0.01g accuracy. I also used slightly more fragrance and more preservative because I used a different one that calls for a bit more. I added some kaolin clay after a day or two, just to speed up the drying (and I know she puts clay in her other bars). I can't wait to try them, but I don't want to ruin them by trying before they're hard enough.
Since it was such a small batch, those extra liquids did probably make a difference. Adding some clay was a good call. Other possibilities are to put them in front of a blowing fan, or put them in a frost-free freezer for a day, since the cold, dry air really helps them harden.

I made my first shampoo bars using the Humblebee & Me Sulfate-Free Shampoo Bar with Rice Starch . Mine came out much softer than hers.
I just made this recipe a few days ago. Mine came out way softer than what she showed, too. If I had known I would not have tried mixing with gloves. It was a mess trying to get the mixture off of the gloves, so that I could do something with it. LOL I thought I measured everything correctly and when it came out almost soupy I just figured I did something wrong. The only thing I had was the rice flour, so I tossed some more of that in the mess to stiffen it up enough to make the small balls.

I put mine in the freezer for a couple of days. They are very hard and have a dry almost sandy feel to them...sort of like they were dusted with flour and dried hard. I haven't tried it out yet but will report back later.

I just made this recipe a few days ago. Mine came out way softer than what she showed, too. If I had known I would not have tried mixing with gloves. It was a mess trying to get the mixture off of the gloves, so that I could do something with it. LOL I thought I measured everything correctly and when it came out almost soupy I just figured I did something wrong.
What a coincidence! Thanks for your response! The consistency of my bars was not soupy, but more like soft play-dough. I agree with you about the gloves. Since my bars are for personal use only, I just used my clean bare hands when I added the clay. I put one of my bars in the freezer this morning, and I'm hoping that will do the trick like it did for you.

What a coincidence! Thanks for your response! The consistency of my bars was not soupy, but more like soft play-dough. I agree with you about the gloves. Since my bars are for personal use only, I just used my clean bare hands when I added the clay. I put one of my bars in the freezer this morning, and I'm hoping that will do the trick like it did for you.
I used the "bar" (which is a round cylinder) on my hair this morning. After the initial wetting of the bar it felt almost slimy. It was hard to hold, so plan on putting it in one of my organza bags for the next use. Once it got lathered up on my hair, it was very sudsy with a smooth feel to the suds. I need to do that just in my hands rather than on my hair to see how much suds since at that point my eyes are shut! LOL I was a bit worried that I put too much rice flour in it to get it dry enough to shape...thought maybe it wouldn't rinse out well. But after it was sudsing on my hair it felt just fine...like any of the other syndet bars I have used. I would have to say overall that my hair feels like it has a little more body to it than it normally does. It is very fine, slightly curly and short.

I will put it in one of the bags for the next use, since that is how I have been using all of my syndet bars. But will hand test the lather just to see what it does look like. I do like it better than her Mango syndet bar...but then I don't use the oils and butter that she does, but substitute things I have on hand.

@SoapSisters and @Quilter99755 (and anyone else who has tried this recipe) -- I'd love to hear about how this does after a few shampoos in your hair. I tried a couple other of her recipes and found them a bit drying on my fine very curly hair. The rice starch sounds intriguing and I'm thinking I'd like to give this a try. Maybe adding extra conditioning ingredients?

I'll check back in after a few washes. I will admit that even though my hair is fine and on the thin side, it seems to be impervious to just about anything I put on it. I rarely use a conditioner on my hair and when I was younger needed to wash it daily due to an excess of oils. Now that I'm old, it doesn't get as oily and only wash it every other day or so.

I'm not very adventurous as far as substitutions for syndet bars...I have kept within the subs that she has listed. I did read a couple of articles that stated that it wasn't very satisfactory to add conditioners to the syndet bars but do a conditioning bar instead. Since I have no need for it, I haven't looked into adding anything extra to any recipe.

Ok, I've been lurking long enough that THIS is the thread that made me finally register.
I am eager to see how the Humblebee syndet shampoo bar recipe with rice starch performs because that's one of the recipes I'm seriously considering for my first attempt at a syndet.
Has anyone used the pourable syndet shampoo bar recipe from Nest Soapery? That's another one I'm looking at but I can't tell if the SCI amount is over the recommended ~50% amount or not.
I hadn't heard of the DIY one on Etsy until this thread, so that's the third one I'm interested in. Now I'm trying to figure out which of the 3 recipes to try first!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back