What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had forgotten that a friend asked for shampoo bars with rosemary EO (she believes it will help with thinning hair). Then a family member asked for the same, so I made a 500g batch of the DIY B&B hot pour recipe.

Per @Tammyfarms' good idea, I reduced the SCI by 10g and replaced that with 10g of SLSa. I am starting at the low end with SLSa because very small amounts make such a big difference in bath bombs. Of course, I don't know if that will be the same in this recipe; we shall see.

I measure everything into one plastic mixing bowl, and lightly stir before microwaving the whole thing for 2.5 minutes. I stir again and then pop it back in for another 30-45 seconds. At that point, I use a silicone spatula and a stainless whisk to stir and mash up any large clumps of SCI. It doesn't usually take much to reach a homogenous mix that is cool enough to mix in the premade slurry of all remaining ingredients. Then it is time to pour quickly. The detail on last bar (shown at the bottom) is always a bit dodgy because the mix is setting up by that time. I add in all the bowl scrapings to that last one, mashing them together. That will be my tester bar. ;)

Because rosemary EO on its own is a bit too medicinal to my nose, I added some litsea cubeba and a titch of peppermint EO. These smell great!

View attachment 77430
I use rosemary eo and lemon eo. It’s a combination that is supposed to be good for my oily hair and I don’t have issues with the fragrance. Can’t say if it helps with thinning hair as my hair is super thick and has been forever. I like the idea of litsea cubea and peppermint, which I love. Your bars are beautiful.

So far i only use sci and SLSa
Same. That and cocamidopropyl betaine as the liquid surfacant.

I have used SLSa, SCI, CapB and Decyl Glucoside. My
first bar didnt include SLSa and I will be adding it. So far it seems to work well. Sorry for the multiple posts. We have company visiting and I am exhausted. 🥱

@Tammyfarms Thanks for that good information. I’m actually less interested in her specific formulas than I am in the chemistry and formulating guidance information. I’ve been having a grand ole time reading about how critical micelle density and micelle shape influence the mildness of surfactants 🤣
Ack! So much to learn. The more I learn the more I realize I have no idea what I am doing. 😂😳😬

I like the idea of litsea cubea and peppermint, which I love. Your bars are beautiful.
Thank you 🥰 That is one of my favorite molds, as evidenced by how many pictures I've posted of soaps, shampoo bars, and lotion bars in that same shape. 😁

I've always loved the old Trinity of EOs: lavender + peppermint + lemon. A close second for me is rosemary + peppermint + lemon, or in this case, litsea cubeba. To me, it is refreshing, uplifting, and calming, all at the same time.

It was time to make a refill of my Lavender Magnesium cream which is loosely based on this recipe. We use this at night to support restful sleep, and it is very effective for calming my husband's restless legs.

Instead of the infused oils and shea butter in the original recipe, I used date seed oil. Based on a friend's recommend, I had purchased some to try it out for a facial lotion, but it was way too comedogenic for everyone who tried it. I'm already liking it in this foot and leg cream, though, and was so glad to find a way to use it up. I also used .5% Liquid Germall Plus instead of Leucidal.

PS - please pardon the janky labels - this is for personal use only. ;)

IMG_2729.jpg

Last edited:
I bought Susan’s shampoo bar book. It gave me a good start but i too found her SCM site very confusing and difficult to use. I finally gave up my membership.
Exact same. I found the website very difficult to navigate. I had a $3/month subscription but I didn’t use it enough to make it worthwhile.

It was time to make a refill of my Lavender Magnesium cream which is loosely based on this recipe.
I diluted the last of my 100% magnesium lotion last weekend - I'll still have enough lotion to get me through the summer lol, but I look forward to retrying my hand at this [mag lotion] again. I love your "janky" labels. Mine are non-existent for personal use.

I diluted the last of my 100% magnesium lotion last weekend - I'll still have enough lotion to get me through the summer lol, but I look forward to retrying my hand at this [mag lotion] again. I love your "janky" labels. Mine are non-existent for personal use.
I would skip them, too, but due to similarities of containers and product color, I have previously tried to wash my face with lotion, and moisturize my legs with face wash. ;)

I would skip them, too, but due to similarities of containers and product color, I have previously tried to wash my face with lotion, and moisturize my legs with face wash. ;)
Been there done that. Or, months down the road, you pick up a jar and wonder just what's in it. I've learned to always label; it doesn't have to be pretty, just labelled.

Since I've been working longer hours, I haven't been making as much as I normally might but last night, I made a batch of the DIY Foaming Bath Butter base. Tonight, I turned part of it into the Tea Tree & Spearmint Foaming Facial Scrub; the recipe is part of the FBB base recipe booklet.

Last time I made, it was for a special request by someone who bought it the second year I was selling (this is year 7 for me). She ended up buying three jars of the stuff! If you haven't tried it, it's really nice. Leaves my skin feeling soft, silky, and the scent is very refreshing.

Tea Tree Spearmint Face scrub.png

Since I've been working longer hours, I haven't been making as much as I normally might but last night, I made a batch of the DIY Foaming Bath Butter base. Tonight, I turned part of it into the Tea Tree & Spearmint Foaming Facial Scrub; the recipe is part of the FBB base recipe booklet.

Last time I made, it was for a special request by someone who bought it the second year I was selling (this is year 7 for me). She ended up buying three jars of the stuff! If you haven't tried it, it's really nice. Leaves my skin feeling soft, silky, and the scent is very refreshing.

View attachment 77454
I just purchased the DIY Foaming Bath Butter booklet - Sandra was so kind to offer me a coupon and I am so excited to give it a go. This is fair warning that I’m sure I’ll be back with questions once I read it and start preparing to make a first batch. 😉😂😉

I just purchased the DIY Foaming Bath Butter booklet - Sandra was so kind to offer me a coupon and I am so excited to give it a go. This is fair warning that I’m sure I’ll be back with questions once I read it and start preparing to make a first batch. 😉😂😉
It's a very easy recipe to put together. And, Sandra's a sweetheart.

I've discovered why avoiding making stuff when you're tired is best.
Making another batch of Lotion Base, got to the 3rd ingredient, and instead of using stearic acid, I put in stearyl alcohol ... now I have a jar of RitaMulse, Cetyl Alcohol, and Stearyl Alcohol with nowhere exciting to go. I will have to come up with something ... or stare at the jar for a while.

Any ideas?

Making another batch of Lotion Base, got to the 3rd ingredient, and instead of using stearic acid, I put in stearyl alcohol ... now I have a jar of RitaMulse, Cetyl Alcohol, and Stearyl Alcohol with nowhere exciting to go. I will have to come up with something ... or stare at the jar for a while.

Any ideas?
That's a jar of the lotion base? If so, try making just a small batch to see whether or not it works.

Any ideas?
I've found the base recipe to be fairly flexible when subbing like for like. Stearyl alcohol is made from stearic acid, and functions similarly as a fatty thickener and co-emulsifier. So I'd agree with @Misschief and try a small batch to see what you think. Please let us know how it turns out.

I love messing with "my" soap. Today, I pared the edges of the most recently made. Corrected the labels for this particular batch.
(I use the pared off soap, put it into a ziplock, and will use next time I do a 'rebatch'.) And I planned the soap I'm making on Friday. I've decided to get this skill down (I've now made about 15 batches of HP soap.) I need to make a small batch every week. So Monday, I plan the recipe: do the lye calc. Make sure I have all the ingredients. Then on Friday, I"ll cook it up and mold it. ONE THING I LOVE ABOUT MAKING SOAP (besides other reasons) My house always smells lovely!!! the FO in the soap permeates my home! 🥰

I love camellia oil in my face creams. Just made this one this past weekend and it's beautiful!
View attachment 77318
Looks gorgeous!

That's a jar of the lotion base? If so, try making just a small batch to see whether or not it works.
Ha, I hadn't even thought about that. Thanks for the help! :)
I've found the base recipe to be fairly flexible when subbing like for like. Stearyl alcohol is made from stearic acid, and functions similarly as a fatty thickener and co-emulsifier. So I'd agree with @Misschief and try a small batch to see what you think. Please let us know how it turns out.
When I looked it up, I found that because one is an alcohol and one is an acid they would not do exactly the same thing. But I love the idea and will definitely try it out! I think the stearic is supposed to make it creamy so thinking I many need to compensate.

Latest posts

Back