What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to discourage @KiwiMoose from @dmcgee5034's excellent suggestion, but....

5. Remelt them and pour into different containers. Lotion bars and lip balms can be remelted many times. :)

6. Next time, put them in the freezer for an hour, then let them sit on the counter for 5 minutes before popping them out of those thick molds.

Not to discourage @KiwiMoose from @dmcgee5034's excellent suggestion, but....

5. Remelt them and pour into different containers. Lotion bars and lip balms can be remelted many times. :)

6. Next time, put them in the freezer for an hour, then let them sit on the counter for 5 minutes before popping them out of those thick molds.
Aw yeah! Gosh you're clever @AliOop! I completely forgot about that.

It's been a while since I made anything; with markets only once a month and sales not that great, there hasn't been much need. However, I've purchased a few ingredients that I really wanted to play with. One of them is an ingredient called Hilurlip, which is an oil-soluble product made with hyaluronic acid. I bought it mainly so I could make Humblebee and Me's Moisturizing Overnight Lip Mask, as per the recipe. I make it without the Hilurlip and it's one of my favourite lip balms, very rich, very sticky, and very effective.

I got off work early today so I decided it was a good time to make a small (100 gram) batch, seeing as I'm meeting an old friend for coffee tomorrow and wanted to give her a little surprise gift (a bar of soap and a lip balm). As an aside, it isn't that she's old (unless you count 67 as old); it's just that we haven't seen each other in 50 years. We were in high school together and spent that summer together with a group of church kids from all over Canada helping businesses in Jasper and I just recently found out that she lives in the same town, and not all that far from where I live. So, we decided to get together for coffee tomorrow.

Anyway, I love this stuff without the Hilurlip and I'm looking forward to trying the recipe as written.

View attachment 66873
how do you get the lip balm to look smooth in the jars? it looked quite thick when Marie made here and tried to scoop it in the tubes

how do you get the lip balm to look smooth in the jars? it looked quite thick when Marie made here and tried to scoop it in the tubes
You might also be able to use a heat gun or blow dryer on the tops. That'll melt the top portion and smooth them out. (Works for candles too. ;) )

My bath and body thing today is becoming an accidental seller - something I keep resisting but apparently without much success. Someone who received one of my sugar scrubs as a gift wants to purchase more, and is coming by tonight to pick them up. Despite my desire to keep this a hobby and not make it a business, there were some extra scrubs from the Ladies' Christmas Boutique, and it will be great to move these off the shelves. :)

Think of it as a return on investment!
Or just a contribution to your costs. I don't sell either, and sometimes it seems really stupid to spend so much money to make things that I only give away (I probably can only use about 5% of the things I make, there's just too much of it.) I think not having to treat your soaping/making as a business but getting some money back on unsolicited sales is a good way to keep doing it without feeling guilty about the expense.

Today I made my first attempt at tinted lip balm. I made a small batch, which made 5 partial tubes that I colored with some micas I had on hand (I didnā€™t realize how many pinks I had!). Theyā€™re currently setting up. Itā€™s been quite a while since Iā€™ve made lip balm!
How does it look today?

I made two batches of 20 lip balms today (Double Bubble Gum and Cocoa Butter Mint) for upcoming markets and some magnesium oil just for myself. I'm thinking of making some Epsom Salt bath bars (recipe from the Moon Cake Cult group on FB).
Double Bubble gum sounds super yummy and throw back! I love it, @Misschief šŸ„°

How does it look today?
Pretty good! The color that MIL chose was so sheer you couldnā€™t see it at all. I re-melted it and added about triple the mica. Itā€™s still pretty sheer. The one Iā€™m wearing today (BB rose gold mica) is quite sheer, but itā€™s perfect for me. I donā€™t like a lot of color on my lips, and especially want to be able to apply it without needing a mirror. It feels wonderful!

Latest posts

Back