What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For next time, you could dissolve the extracts in a bit of the liquid ingredients (water) and add it in the cool down phase, rather than adding the straight powder.
Thanks, that is actually what I did. When they didn't seem to dissolve well before adding that liquid into to mix, I should have listened to my instincts not to add it. They are still undissolved as of this morning. :(

I'm considering reheating the lotion and adding some more hot water to see if the extracts will dissolve. I don't mind if the lotion ends up thinner, as long as it isn't grainy. Since I won't use it as-is, I don't have anything to lose by trying, right? :)

Last edited:
'm considering reheating the lotion and adding some more hot water to see if the extracts will dissolve.
A better option might be to wait 2 weeks or so to allow the powder to fully hydrate. Reheating lotion risks compromising the preservative. :thumbs:

FYI: Liquid extracts may be an option for you?:
https://lotioncrafter.com/search?type=product&q=extracts*
Consider using skin & hair beneficial Geranium EO for fragrance.

Last edited:
I just ordered some surfactants from Amazon to get me started on making shampoo bars. The price was a little higher than elsewhere online, but I had a lot of points saved up to redeem. Oils, proteins, and extracts will come from Lotioncrafter and Wholesale Supplies Plus.

Oils, proteins, and extracts will come from Lotioncrafter and Wholesale Supplies Plus.
WSP - be prepared to wait - my order 10/11/22 still hasn't shipped.

Lotioncrafter - I get my order in 3 days usually. Be sure to double-check shipping options. If you haven't done so already, check out her formulary for good tried & true recipes.

WSP - be prepared to wait - my order 10/11/22 still hasn't shipped.

Lotioncrafter - I get my order in 3 days usually. Be sure to double-check shipping options. If you haven't done so already, check out her formulary for good tried & true recipes.
I'm using DIYs hot pour shampoo bar recipe and eventually her conditioner bar recipe that I have, but I'm still slowing accumulating all the ingredients. Thanks for the heads up on WSP shipping!

I've actually been making a ton of stuff lately, but this week I made a batch of magnesium lotion with horsetail extract for leg cramps and vein health. Inspired by Nerdy Farm Wife.
Also made some lip balm based on a humble bee recipe. I think it looks nice, and it feels divine! Soy wax rather than beeswax, added lanolin because my skin loves that, also raspberry, blackberry and meadowfoam oils.
PXL_20221016_044625548.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221017_144432162.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221017_144432162.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Back on post #17, I shared how the chamomile powder did not disperse well in my lotion, leaving undissolved specks. My plan was to reheat the lotion and add more water to help the powder disperse. Well, I actually forgot about it till today, and look what I found:

D94CB9ED-14D2-4503-83F0-9EFDF8FF9ACD_1_105_c.jpeg

I've never, ever had a moldy lotion before. This lotion had the correct amount of preservative added at the correct temperature. It simply couldn't withstand the bug food in those clumps of chamomile powder! This is a great example for anyone who thinks they don't need to preserve their lotions, or who think they can add unlimited amounts of organic matter without consequence.

Yes the smell is strong, esp if you are spraying from inside the shower with the doors or curtains closed. 😵‍💫 😷

I have added d-limonene to mine, which is kinda like lemon EO on steroids, and is found in many commercial cleaners. So I’m sure lemon EO would be fine for your tile and glass at least.

Maybe test a bottom corner of your shower curtain to see how it reacts on vinyl? If you do decide to spray the whole thing, please videotape it in case it melts, because I know we’d all want to see that! I mean, so we could sympathize with you!
I just discovered that eocalc has a category for household cleaners! Still lovin' this recipe. Our shower and curtain have never been so clean and clear. It makes the once weekly cleaning so much easier.

@Zing I didn't know that about EOCalc- thank you! I just love all the knowledge this group shares!

Glad you are still having good results with the recipe, too. I spoke with some ladies who are professional housecleaners, and they also use Dawn, sometimes mixed with vinegar, and sometimes straight but followed by scrubbing with a Magic Eraser. I love those, too, but would rather not spend the $$ for an extra product in the house.

@msunnerstood how did the syndet facial cleanser with rice powder turn out? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

Thanks, that is actually what I did. When they didn't seem to dissolve well before adding that liquid into to mix, I should have listened to my instincts not to add it. They are still undissolved as of this morning. :(

I'm considering reheating the lotion and adding some more hot water to see if the extracts will dissolve. I don't mind if the lotion ends up thinner, as long as it isn't grainy. Since I won't use it as-is, I don't have anything to lose by trying, right? :)
I am guessing it is not going to dissolve at this point, but that is probably me being negative. If you reheat your lotion just keep it below the temp your preservative allows. Next time strain out your water before adding it to your lotion. :D :D I always strained the water I dissolved solids in through a really fine strainer used only for my lotions.

Yesterday I sold four deodorant sticks I poured last week. Does that count as doing something? I ran out of my base so I had to actually order some supplies since all my lotion and deo supplies are packed. What sticker shock with some of the prices.

Back on post #17, I shared how the chamomile powder did not disperse well in my lotion, leaving undissolved specks. My plan was to reheat the lotion and add more water to help the powder disperse. Well, I actually forgot about it till today, and look what I found:

View attachment 69273

I've never, ever had a moldy lotion before. This lotion had the correct amount of preservative added at the correct temperature. It simply couldn't withstand the bug food in those clumps of chamomile powder! This is a great example for anyone who thinks they don't need to preserve their lotions, or who think they can add unlimited amounts of organic matter without consequence.
Oops, that is really ugly. Part of the reason I mentioned above is to strain your water.!! Lotions are so tricky. You probably remember I experimented a lot with lotions and preservatives back when selling. Many times I came up with colorful molds. I would have to check my notes which are stored but there was one lotion combination of oils I wanted to work and it never did. DeeAnna might remember she and I discussed it. It was something popular several years ago but it always molded or separated. If I remember I will let you know so you never try it.

Thank you Carolyn, I would love to know more. I have nowhere near the experience you do with lotions. Until now, I've always played it super safe with organic material since I gag at the idea of using spoiled products on my skin. So usually I infuse the oils or use premade liquid extracts.

I do like the idea of straining the water, but to be honest, it may take me awhile to want to try that again. I tend to like expensive oils in my lotions (meadowfoam, argan, jojoba). Thankfully it was only a 100g batch so not much in the way of wasted materials.

This morning, I made three batches of lip balm, Orange Creamsicle, Acai & Blueberry, and my original Cocoa Butter & Peppermint. I only make small batches (16 tubes per batch) and I really should make more but I need more tubes. And I'm feeling incredibly lazy today.

I'm also testing a lotion bar recipe from Whole Elise. It has Olivem 1000 in it, which is an emulsifier so I'm thinking this would be a great lotion bar for after a bath or shower.

https://wholeelise.com/blog/lotion-bars/
Lotion bars.png

Thank you Carolyn, I would love to know more. I have nowhere near the experience you do with lotions. Until now, I've always played it super safe with organic material since I gag at the idea of using spoiled products on my skin. So usually I infuse the oils or use premade liquid extracts.

I do like the idea of straining the water, but to be honest, it may take me awhile to want to try that again. I tend to like expensive oils in my lotions (meadowfoam, argan, jojoba). Thankfully it was only a 100g batch so not much in the way of wasted materials.
My problem was unless I was in testing mode I was usually making at least 2-3 gallons at a time, so losses were big. Give my old brain time and I will think about what the additive or oil was. I am thinking additive that just would not work. I tended to stay away from additives other than the norm such as vitamins or infusing the oils and straining them several times so none of the residual matter made it into the lotion, for that reason I did not infuse powders if I was going to use the botanical infusion in lotions. I pretty much stuck with extracts and no hydrosols or if using hydrosols I used them in small percentages, which really became label appeal.

I've recently used up all my old stockings that were repurposed into infusion bags (after washing, of course!) so I purchased some large sealable tea bags. I haven't tried them yet but will report back as to how well they work.

I do prefer enclosing the plant matter or powder in something so there is less to strain out. Usually I let it all settle and pour off the oil at the top. The oil with residual powder at the bottom was used for soaps, not lotions.

This morning, I made three batches of lip balm, Orange Creamsicle, Acai & Blueberry, and my original Cocoa Butter & Peppermint. I only make small batches (16 tubes per batch) and I really should make more but I need more tubes. And I'm feeling incredibly lazy today.

I'm also testing a lotion bar recipe from Whole Elise. It has Olivem 1000 in it, which is an emulsifier so I'm thinking this would be a great lotion bar for after a bath or shower.

https://wholeelise.com/blog/lotion-bars/
View attachment 69319
I am interested to know what you think of this, as I was just pondering the possibility of an emulsified lotion bar the other day.

I am interested to know what you think of this, as I was just pondering the possibility of an emulsified lotion bar the other day.
On its own, with dry skin, I find it a bit draggy. After a bath, however, it goes on beautifully and feels really good. And I smell like a chocolate bar. Which my husband finds delectable. Win, win, right?

Latest posts

Back