What about coloring "dirt" soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering the "dirt" fragrance oil. But I want to come up with a unique way to color it. I'm thinking about how I used parsley flakes to add a bit of green color to my peppermint soap, and was wondering what would be a good brown color to mimic dirt. I guess I could use coffee grounds, but was not looking for any scrubby, just color. What would you recommend? I'm just looking for specks of color, not a solid like cocoa powder.

Thanks!

You could use vanilla, finely ground lavender buds, ground tea leaves.
A lot of herbs will go brown over time though.

Poppy seeds? Might give you some nice black specks...
I just made a gardenia/herb soap and used some herbal bath tea that I ground up fine in a food processor. Not sure about if it has a scrubby effect yet, but the result looks good. I put some on the top too. It may add a nice undertone smell too.

Sorry...I misread your post. Thought you were looking for scrubby.
Maybe grind down some old soap and put it in there. kind of like the confetti soap that people make.

I made a nice dirt-fragrance camo swirl using ultramarine green, black walnut hull, and activated charcoal. :) The walnut hull speckles a bit but it looks cool.

I've used ground cinnamon in a dirt-like fragrance oil. It made a really nice brown speckled colored that looked just like dirt. It does have a mild scrubby feeling to it. It's important to know that cinnamon can be an irritant, but I haven't had any problems.

Very nice looking soap. I have found that females like the smell of guys when they barbecue. I bought a fragrance that smells like firewood smoke from saveonscents.com

You might want to check them out.

I like the idea of the poppy seeds for the specks. I think the end result would look fantastic. When I made my sweet grass soap, I did layers of color, starting with black, brown, light green, and dark green. I swirled and played with the top until it slightly looked like spikes of grass. Kind of the same concept.

I have made a dirt scented soap and used a little bit of cocoa powder to get the brown and used a bit of parsley and oregano mixed in to give it a natural appearance. I didn't use so much cocoa as to make the bubbles very brown. It really did look like dirt and the scent I had was very realistic smelling.

Latest posts

Back