Licorice Root Powder - in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was given some licorice root powder and I'm not having much luck finding anything about using it in CP soap. I assume it will create some kind of brown color in soap. If anyone has any experience with using it, I'd like to hear what did or did not work. Should it be infused in oil before using, or if using straight as an additive a guideline for appropriate usage rates would be very much appreciated. I'm hoping to avoid wasting ingredients if there is something funky about using it.

I was given some licorice root powder and I'm not having much luck finding anything about using it in CP soap.
That's probably because it is known to be an excellent ingredient for beautifying skin. It's good stuff! The liquid extract is an A+ sweetener for lip products, IMO and IME. I ran into it early on as a sweetener in lip balms but it was pricey compared to stevia (the white powder).

I happened to research Licorice Root Extract For Lips last week for a $22 lip product I want to dupe.

There's lots of information out there for the skin benefits of Licorice Root Powder. One DIY recipe I ran into was adding water to the powder to create a mask for diminishing age spots.

I think the using the powder to make soap would diminish its effectiveness as a whitener, but maybe not. :smallshrug:

@Zany_in_CO thank you. I might try a little as a mask and see if I like it.

@KiwiMoose I think I may have a wee bit of anise EO, but I don't really care for the smell. I think I remember someone (maybe you?) recommending a blend with lavender. I could give it a try. I'm so behind on my Christmas gift soaps, so I probably won't get to it until after the holidays are over. I'm still not making much. I was planning on hubby being gone on a hunting trip for 8 days and having tons of time to do whatever suits my fancy. That trip just got cancelled :(

@KiwiMoose I think I may have a wee bit of anise EO, but I don't really care for the smell. I think I remember someone (maybe you?) recommending a blend with lavender. I could give it a try. I'm so behind on my Christmas gift soaps, so I probably won't get to it until after the holidays are over. I'm still not making much. I was planning on hubby being gone on a hunting trip for 8 days and having tons of time to do whatever suits my fancy. That trip just got cancelled :(
You only need a little anyway - yes, @Zing recomended the lavaender and anise I think, and I love it. I did a tiger stripe wiht purple and black (activated charcoal) and it was quite striking!
Ooooh - as much as we love our dear husbands, what i wouldn't give for 8 weeks of house to myself! I could even get to use the TV remote! :D

I'll do my best to ignore all this talk about husbands leaving!
I don't like lavender alone. I don't like anise alone. But the blend together is awesome! I just made soap today with anise, lavender, orange, and cedarwood. It's kinda sexy if I dare say.
Ooooh that does sound nice. I have all of those here too! And I do miss my hubby when he's gone.

ETA to add *miss* because...oops

Last edited:
You're welcome. Let us know how it works for you. I have some age spots that NEED attention.
I think I remember someone (maybe you?) recommending a blend with lavender.
The one time I did 50/50 Anise / Lavender, a customer bought a bar on her lunch break then came back at 4 PM to buy all the bars (5) I had left. :thumbs:

L
I was given some licorice root powder and I'm not having much luck finding anything about using it in CP soap. I assume it will create some kind of brown color in soap. If anyone has any experience with using it, I'd like to hear what did or did not work. Should it be infused in oil before using, or if using straight as an additive a guideline for appropriate usage rates would be very much appreciated. I'm hoping to avoid wasting ingredients if there is something funky about using it.
Let us know how the soap went please.

Latest posts

Back