Wall pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, about what to put in and not. This one was strictly about the pattern of the pour so I figured blending and coloring are not obligatory. For other demonstrations, more is helpful but I will say that I have rarely seen SB'ing as a necessity, except to show what emulsion and light trace look like in real time. Otherwise, for most soap making videos, I would love to see how thick the batter is, then the pour and the technique/swirl and cut pics. IT's also hard to know what angle makes the most sense. Imagine being a director if filming making a soap leads to so many questions!

I think at some point I'll eliminate the mixing part altogether and just say something like "for coloring and mixing techniques, refer to video such and such" That way the video can just start with the good stuff! ;)

Okay, I was watching some soap p*rn recently and in one video, the soaper poured her soap like a faux funnel swirl, except the batter was poured onto the sides of the mold and gradually oozed its way into the center of the mold as more and more soap was poured along the wall. It was really cool to watch. Maybe this is the technique Newbie has tried???

Arrgh. I can't find the video!

Oh, wait! It's our own TVivian (aka "Soapish" on Youtube). Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VID2Sp77Fbo The "pour soap batter on the wall of the mold" gets started strongly about 1:50 into the video.

I have also seen videos where the soap is poured against the side wall, sometime on a tilt. I've never heard them call it that but that is what I assumed it was...
And I've seen that video! One of the reasons I wanted a slab mold so bad...very cool that it is TVivian!

Last edited:
With a little more manipulation (or luck) these could be made to look like a tornado touching down in a stormy sky. How very cool would that be? These are amazing!

Ah, Twysted, we are kindred spirits!!! If you don't pour exactly perfectly, you do indeed get tornados! I posted this on my blog and how I like them upside down better than how they are supposed to look because I love stormy weather.

Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 10.10.20 PM.jpg

Saw the video - you do an awesome job. I only noticed the "ums" because I saw it mentioned in your post before I saw video! You know the saying - we're our own worst critics; well my critique is this -- you need to make more videos! Seriously I enjoyed it; I felt like I was in your soaping room with you. I cannot wait to try this method so hopefully my new scale arrives tomorrow!

What is it about the pour that causes the tornado?

It's from the pressure of the poured batter forcing the first/prior color poured (in my case the darkest teal) up. Pouring one side and then the next pushes a bit of that dark color up between the two and gives it the curving shape, as it's pushed from side to side. It tapered to almost nothing by the top so it worked out well for tornados.

Thanks for your comments of the videos. It really is nerve-wracking. You don't know if you are being unclear or boring, if you should shut up or talk or talk more. Sometimes I ramble but I try to keep in mind what I want to see when I watch something, so Im glad you liked them!

Newb and Viv, you know that I really like both of your videos. You both do a really good job of making things clear, nice to watch and listen to, and not putting in too much stuff or skimping on the important ones. I love HMIF and watch her videos occasionally in kind of a hypnotized state, but when I am done I am sometimes frustrated b/c there is not enough time on the tricky bits to see what is really happening.

I like it when people skip the mixing stuff. I basically am most interested in (a) the thickness of the batter on pour; and (b) the pouring/swirling technique itself. But I think the prelim stuff might be really helpful to newbies, though.

Great video, TY. What I especially liked was the lesson on finding emulsion vs trace. That was extremely helpful because I think I'm shooting for emulsion but SB too much trying to achieve it and end up at actual trace instead. I think this is why my batters have been thickening up so quickly. TY again.

Yes, in my swirl tutorial video (both are named "large" for reasons unclear to me, but I'm a Luddite) I talk about using the wall to pour down to get the colors to line up without mixing. I'm sure many people have been doing that for a long time so I claim no special knowledge of a secret technique or anything. I'm messier that TViv, though.

Wall pours are used pretty literally- you pour your batter down the wall of the mold to get patterns and to get one color to lie on top of the other, instead of dropping though (drop swirl) or mixing in with the soap already there. I have to use my son's computer to upload the videos after I get the dogs out.

I like my random pour better than the standard one and will post pics after I go to the dog park.

At around 9 minutes, I talk about using the walls to pour soap down and you can see what I mean. It is indeed very literal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CytRNXh7-Xk

We talked about soaps like these on the browsing thread. I think about 4 soaps made this way have been posted and people talked about them a lot.

"...I think I'm shooting for emulsion but SB too much trying to achieve it and end up at actual trace instead..."

Welcome to the club, Gigi. I'll show you the secret handshake at the club meeting tomorrow night.

"Just one more burst of the SB, that's what it needs!" she said as, unbeknownst to her, the soap stealthily shifted into super-secret mashed-potatoes mode.

"...I think I'm shooting for emulsion but SB too much trying to achieve it and end up at actual trace instead..."

Welcome to the club, Gigi. I'll show you the secret handshake at the club meeting tomorrow night.

"Just one more burst of the SB, that's what it needs!" she said as, unbeknownst to her, the soap stealthily shifted into super-secret mashed-potatoes mode.

Hahahahaha super secret mashed potato mode is exactly what it did on my first attempt at the challenge soap... ugh! LOL

Great videos, thanks for sharing. I would never have guessed that's how you get that pattern. I'm always in awe when you guys can look at a soap and say how you think it was made -- and then prove it!

It's from the pressure of the poured batter forcing the first/prior color poured (in my case the darkest teal) up. Pouring one side and then the next pushes a bit of that dark color up between the two and gives it the curving shape, as it's pushed from side to side. It tapered to almost nothing by the top so it worked out well for tornados.

Thanks for your comments of the videos. It really is nerve-wracking. You don't know if you are being unclear or boring, if you should shut up or talk or talk more. Sometimes I ramble but I try to keep in mind what I want to see when I watch something, so Im glad you liked them!

You truly did a great job and I think the key to that is just be yourself; people can sense that. There are soap videos were the person tried too hard to talk a lot or be funny and it just doesn't work.

In other words....make more videos!

I feel I need to include this link. This person teaches a course on how to make this soap and it was posted in 2013. The text says that this technique is "one of my own" which is why they include it in the course, so someone has already laid claim to the technique. Don't want to step on anyone's toes.

http://www.jabonesdecasa.com/search?updated-max=2013-11-22T14:58:00-08:00&max-results=6

Here are some variations on a wall pour that I've made over the last few years so people can see other ways to use a technique like this.

wall pour 6.jpg

wall pour5.jpg

Last edited:
I want to see your wall pour first, before I make anymore, Ms. Lenarenee!

Oooooh ........ the gauntlet has been thrown!

:)

Okay ladies. I am a meek, mild-mannered, mature woman with waaayyyy too much dignity to fall for that childish foolishness. Yeesh!!

And you really need to realize I deserve more respect than that. I'm preparing for a career change and am taking a bio/lab class (oooh...I really need to use up that gallon of olive oil) from a no-nonsense professor (Sweet! When did I buy that color of mica?) who assumes we've had chemistry before (Jeez! Did I even try to wash out those molds?) when I haven't so I spent 3 hours with an fantastic but expensive tutor (Blech! They dare call that fo Frankincense and Myrrh?) and 12 - count them 12 hours studying and restudying for my first big test because this stupid brain of mine hasn't had to learn anything new (Mmmm....aaahhhhh! No wonder I bought a big bottle of Blackberry sage!) for 25 years and I want an A in this class to apply to the OTA program in Pennsylvania!! (Wait. Really? How did I get 3 stick blenders?) Now let's talk Halloween, which is bigger than Christmas in our house and our little one wants her 8th birthday party to be a dance party and (typing...www.UPS.....enter tracking #... 5lbs lye out for delivery!) and....and....the guinea pig cage needs to be cleaned out.

Did I mention the lab test tomorrow night? Do y'all really think I should doing something so frivolous as making soap??? Humph.

(Btw...my first test? 96% - highest grade out of 45 students. And I fought for every single one of those points! :p)

Latest posts

Back