Vanilla Test Project

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The package is on its way. :) I opened the box at the main post office and showed them what is inside. They accepted it without any problems.

I told the first woman that there was no alcohol. She freaked out about anything liquid. I did a bit of research. It looks like anything with an FP above 200 ships without any problem as long as it is under a quart. Below 200, there are different rules for packaging. Below 140, FOs need to be packaged in metal boxes with absorbent paper. Above 140, absorbent paper is enough.

Thanks for the advice.

Oh yeah! Awesome. And really good information too, thanks for your research.

I guess the amount of discoloration depends on the usage rate... My tester of TSC's Vanilla Bean Noel discolored to dark brown, you can see it here:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=571856&postcount=48

That is one dark bar. Did the scent survive and did you like it? My guess would be no.

My usage rate is 1 oz per lb of oil for the testers and it is fixed. As I make larger batches of some FOs, I'm finding that the discoloration is dependent on many things. I suspect that the extent of saponification of the batter has a lot to do with it. Most of my testers are poured at a thick pudding stage. The batter is still fluid enough to stir and pour but very thick.

pH is a logarithmic scale. 1 point drop can make a huge difference in the amount of lye left over to react. I think it is an important part of the equation that determines the extent of discoloration. I have to do some testing adding the same fragrances to the same batter at different stages and see what happens. I think Vanilla will be a very good choice for this test. When I do it, I'll post. We'll see how right (or wrong) I am in my assumptions.

Years ago, I poured a batch of vanilla at a very thick pudding stage and I ended up with a beautifully marbled bar. The colors varied from off white to dark brown. I didn't keep any notes. I thought I would remember of course. I really want to reproduce it now because I think it has the best chance of protecting the Vanilla FOs other than HP.

I added Black Vanilla to the list of FOs to try. I just got an order from Element and I have 2 vanilla samples. They are not pure vanilla but as usual they sounded really good. Right now, I don't remember what they were called. I'll add them to this thread when I test them even though they are not pure vanilla.

Last edited:
I'm really curious about that vanilla buttercream, because the vanilla buttercream BB offered got discontinued and its my fav
I bought the BB Vanilla Buttercream FO and I don't think it has enough vanilla scent for those of us who love vanilla. Think vanilla buttercream frosting. Mild, somewhat sweet, vaguely vanilla.

I bought the BB Vanilla Buttercream FO and I don't think it has enough vanilla scent for those of us who love vanilla. Think vanilla buttercream frosting. Mild, somewhat sweet, vaguely vanilla.

I feel the same about the WSP vanilla buttercream. It will all be in my reviews but it definitely has a sugary frosting smell but not really a strong vanilla scent.

Jules, I added NDA Benzoin to the list of vanillas I sent you. It is supposed to have a vanilla-like scent in soap. I don't have any experience with it. I remember reading something about it a long time ago. I was wondering if a mix of vanilla FOs and Benzoin might work a bit better than straight vanilla FOs. I hope to make some testers this week.

I've used NDA's benzoin in cp goat milk soap. I soaped cool and refrigerated for 24hrs. The scent wasn't super strong, but it did stick OK. In the bottle it smelled nothing like vanilla to me, but it does have a sweet vanilla-like scent in soap. I liked it with frankincense.

Oh nice, I'm glad you shared that cause I really, really want to try it blended with a little cinnamon and clove for a chai like scent. I'm really hopeful now.

After the official test on its own of course.

Oh nice, I'm glad you shared that cause I really, really want to try it blended with a little cinnamon and clove for a chai like scent. I'm really hopeful now.

After the official test on its own of course.

I think it will be really nice for that. I'd probably start with double the benzoin vs. the cinnamon and clove so it doesn't get lost behind those strong scents. If you haven't tried cassia EO, you might want to grab a sample of that, too. It has more of a spicy chai-like cinnamon smell to me than cinnamon.

I think it will be really nice for that. I'd probably start with double the benzoin vs. the cinnamon and clove so it doesn't get lost behind those strong scents. If you haven't tried cassia EO, you might want to grab a sample of that, too. It has more of a spicy chai-like cinnamon smell to me than cinnamon.

Yes, the cassia is also not quite as much a skin irritant as cinnamon. Same family, different tree.

Oh nice, I have not tried cassia yet, thank you so much for the suggestion. Love that it's a safer alternate to the cinnamon too.

Soapmaker145, if you want I can send you a sniffie, and a sliver of soap which was made more than a year ago. :) Just PM me your address.

Thank you for a very kind offer. Let me know if you want to try any of the FOs I have. I also have quite a few from BB if you have any on your wish list. Just PM me your list.

So wow...here's what I have on hand to soap this weekend:

CS Cedarwood Vanilla
NDA Tahitian Vanilla
SC Special Edition Vanilla
SC Tahitian Vanilla
SC White Vanilla
SC Fruity Vanilla
SC Vanilla Lace
TCS Vanilla Bean Noel
FB Vanilla Ice Cream
NDA Benzoin
TCS Vanilla
NDA Vanilla Creme
CS Very Vanilla
NDA French Vanilla
FB Vanillary

Ordered today:
Daystar -
Vanilla Madagascar
Ultimate Vanilla
Vanilla Bean Cookies
Vanilla Coconut
Vanilla Delicious
Vanilla Sugar Dusk
Vanilla Rock N Roll

NG - Vanilla Bean

Still to order:
Scent Works (aren't they gone?) -Madagascar Vanilla
Wildfire Creations - Ms Randy's Vanilla Bean
Mad Oils - Vanilla Milk
AHRE - French Vanilla Oak
WSP - Vanilla Musk
NDA - Vanilla 10 fold

I'll add 2 to the list from Elements:
Madagascar Vanilla Orchid
Antahala Vanilla

I also poured some small samples for the temperature and stage of emulsion test using TCS Vanilla Bean Noel and Vanilla. I added the FOs at light emulsion, light and medium trace, and thick pudding stage. I'll update with pictures in about 6 weeks.

Jules can you tell me your thoughts on the Daystar vanillas? I like to order from there.

Jules can you tell me your thoughts on the Daystar vanillas? I like to order from there.

Absolutely! My shipping notice estimates they will be here by Wednesday. Unfortunately she was backordered on the Madagascar Vanilla and Vanilla Sugar Dusk so I will keep checking back with Stacey on those so I can be sure to get them.

16 test samples... I've been busy...

1453698948209.jpg

Back