Vanilla Test Project

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't have much luck with the NDA vanillas. I think their Tahitian Vanilla was the best of the 4 I tried but still faint. Overall, the NDA FOs were nice OOB but didn't do well in cp. The heat may have accelerated the FO morphing process but you would end up in the same place after few weeks even if you soaped cool. The alkaline pH is more the problem with vanilla.

The TCS VBN is the only vanilla that smelled like a decent vanilla to me after cp. Jules may have other suggestions since she tested more vanillas than I did.

Thank you. This was my first experience purchasing a fragrance oil. I got it to make a candle and was excited when I didn't get a headache from it. I was going to order a few more from NDA to try them in soap, so you saved me the time experimenting if they don't work well. : )

Thank you. This was my first experience purchasing a fragrance oil. I got it to make a candle and was excited when I didn't get a headache from it. I was going to order a few more from NDA to try them in soap, so you saved me the time experimenting if they don't work well. : )

They may work in candles if you like subtle fragrances. If you have any specific NDA FOs you're interested in, make a list. I may be able to send you some if you're not in a hurry.

If I were to start my soapy FO experiment all over again, I would start with Element Body and Bath. The FO suppliers I bought the most from are BB, FB, TCS, MMS, CS, NDA, ACS, EBB, CC, CG and some WSP and Nurture. Ouch! This list is longer than I expected. I've accepted that I'll be buying a few FOs from multiple suppliers.

They may work in candles if you like subtle fragrances. If you have any specific NDA FOs you're interested in, make a list. I may be able to send you some if you're not in a hurry.

If I were to start my soapy FO experiment all over again, I would start with Element Body and Bath. The FO suppliers I bought the most from are BB, FB, TCS, MMS, CS, NDA, ACS, EBB, CC, CG and some WSP and Nurture. Ouch! This list is longer than I expected. I've accepted that I'll be buying a few FOs from multiple suppliers.
haha! I'm glad I'm not the only one. My husband thought my dairy goat hobby was expensive...until I started making goat milk soap. Holy heck, I can't control myself. I think I own every essential oil known to man. Maybe we can do a fragrance/essential oil swap :)

I didn't have much luck with the NDA vanillas. I think their Tahitian Vanilla was the best of the 4 I tried but still faint. Overall, the NDA FOs were nice OOB but didn't do well in cp. The heat may have accelerated the FO morphing process but you would end up in the same place after few weeks even if you soaped cool. The alkaline pH is more the problem with vanilla.

The TCS VBN is the only vanilla that smelled like a decent vanilla to me after cp. Jules may have other suggestions since she tested more vanillas than I did.

I'd agree with Soap maker on the NDA's, so far I've found them weak too. Tahitian vanilla was my favorite of the four, not bad, but lighter than I would like. The NG Vanilla Bean was one that got stronger as I used it too and that's a win in my book.

I'm out of town right now so I don't have all my notes in front of me, but the other vanilla I like is Deluxe Vanilla from WSP. I know there's one more I ranked high but I'll have to consult my notes... And there are still quite a few I haven't tested in the shower yet.

haha! I'm glad I'm not the only one. My husband thought my dairy goat hobby was expensive...until I started making goat milk soap. Holy heck, I can't control myself. I think I own every essential oil known to man. Maybe we can do a fragrance/essential oil swap :)

Yep, I know the feeling. I could have bought 3 or 4 of the Bud multi-soap cutters for what I spent on FOs. Never mind that I don't need a single one but they look so pretty. On the bright side, my hobby isn't buying jewelry, designer bags, shoes or any number of things that would cost a lot more. I did a lot more FO buying last year when I started testing. I now limit myself to 20 to 30 at a time. I think that is enough to let you know if you like the supplier.

A swap will be fun. Make a list of FOs you would like to try or type of FO type you want, and I'll send you samples to test. I can't guarantee that you'll like what I like but it'll help you get started on the road to finding FOs that work for you. You can send me a sample of your favorite EO.

I'm out of town right now so I don't have all my notes in front of me, but the other vanilla I like is Deluxe Vanilla from WSP. I know there's one more I ranked high but I'll have to consult my notes...

Oh, I think I may be able to grab that one at the local soap store. Curious to know the other high ranking one when you're back.

On the bright side, my hobby isn't buying jewelry, designer bags, shoes or any number of things that would cost a lot more.

That's what I always say! He says designer bags and shoes would be cheaper ; ) But not nearly as fun.

Our temps should be down under 100 degrees at the end of the month. EOs will have a better chance of surviving shipping then. Sounds fun!

I did another check on my notes and so far my top two are NG Vanilla Bean and SC Special Edition Vanilla (but only after some use, it got better after I soaped with it a while).

I'm really hopeful on two Elements vanilla I got from Soapmaker, for dry scents they are really nice. True tests comes in the shower though.

Side note - I've used WSP's Crafters Choice Deluxe Vanilla for most of my blending for a while now because it seems to stick well and has a good vanilla note to it, so I've often mentioned it as a favorite. This test may abolish that as I'm finding in the dry test it's not nearly as good as others.

Back