Vanilla Test Project

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gigi, I would love to try your version! But the vanilla beans I order online are sticky and moist, which is good for making vanilla extract. But maybe not good for this? also, they are 3-4 inches long. Do you chop them into piece?

Gigi, I would love to try your version! But the vanilla beans I order online are sticky and moist, which is good for making vanilla extract. But maybe not good for this? also, they are 3-4 inches long. Do you chop them into piece?

Dixie if you go to the grocer and look where they have those spices in bags, usually Mexican supplier or name, they have dried vanilla bean pods, very cheap. And yes I cut them in half so there's a sealed end and an open end, and I stuff the open end in the orange. It really does smell so yummy :)

I have bought samples from Indigo Fragrance before which I really liked. Looking today they have a "Vanilla Extract" FO. They do have CP test notes on many of their FOs as well.

Very excited to see this. I've made lotion with Soapalooza's Vanille de Bourbon. I'm pretty meh about it. I haven't soaped it yet.

From the Soap Scent Review Board's "best of vanilla" list:
Wildfire Creations Ms. Randy's Vanilla Bean
Candle Cocoon's Vanilla Voodoo
Scent Works Madagascar Vanilla
AHRE Vanilla Bean
NDA Tahitian Vanilla
TN Candle Vanilla Bean Noel

Lol...oh good, more vanillas to try....

Seriously though I have a pretty good idea what I like so far. What is difficult is how many pseudo vanillas there are - like vanilla bean noel, warm vanilla sugar, woodsy vanillas, floral vanillas... I think I will have to just pick a top three of basic vanilla note scents then separate out reviews of all the others cause they certainly aren't - just vanilla.

Bottom line - vanilla is challenging.

Emulsion? What is this? I've never seen it.
Cake making section in the crafts at WalMart has some emulsions. It's very finely ground almond or vanilla in a pasty carrier of mostly sugar. Vanilla goes darkish tan - almost brown, almond just barely tans. I haven't tried any of the other flavors just because butterscotch soap doesn't sound quite right to me. Yet.

Here is a list of FO's I still need to test. I don't normally purchase from most of these vendors so I don't know how quickly I will get each one in yet... But where there is a will there is a way:

NDA Tahitian Vanilla
TN Candle Vanilla Bean Noel
Scentworks Madagascar Vanilla
AHRE Vanilla Bean
NG Vanilla Bean (I think I soaped this one a long time ago)
Mad Oils Vanilla Milk
Sweetcakes Tahitian Vanilla
Rustic Essentials (same as AHRE?) French Vanilla & Oak
WSP CC Vanilla Musk?
Candlescience Very Vanilla
Wildfire Creations Ms Randys Vanilla Bean
Candle Cacoon Vanilla Voodoo

If anyone can recommend other "must have" fragrances/products from these vendors so I can make each order worthy for shipping costs that would be helpful.

From MO, I adore:

Golden Embargo: Sweet Amber that discolors very dark
Lemon Unhinged: Sweet/Tart Lemon Cookie - I had weirdness with a chromium green mica colored portion but more other colors were fine
Snow Witch: Winter lightly piney scent
Saucy Santa: chocolate mint + something else I cannot put my finger on. It was a little flat right after soaping, but it's gotten back some more complex notes during cure.
Patchouli EO: is a really good patch - sweet and nutty without being too earthy

I haven't tried these in soap yet, but like them in B&B a lot:
South Beach: tropical fruit
Earl Gray Tea: just like the name; I hear it doesn't stick in CP though
Sexy Beast: Grown up floral... not normally something I'd go for but DH loves it.
Spanish Fly: Interesting blend of smoky, green, citrus and something else. Smells great and is definitely on my soaping list

Come to think of it, I'm about to soap with their Vanilla Milk. I keep buying it and using it up in B&B (it's the best vanilla I've smelled oob). Santa brought me another bottle that I am going to dedicate for soaping this month. If you'd like, I'll make an uncolored sample bar and send it your way. I also have a bar of WSP Vanilla Oak I can send. Just shoot me a pm. :)

Their micas and botanicals are really nice too.

From NG, I like:
Cracklin' Birch: smokey/woodsy and sticks like nobody's business
Bite Me: Hawaiian Fruit Punch

Dixiedragon those lip balm flavors sound amazing...how did you know I want to try lip balms this year?

Snappyllama - thanks for the awesome suggestions! I'd be happy to take a sample bar of vanilla milk too, if you really don't mind, I'll send you a pm.

You are all awesome!!!!

From MO, I adore:

Golden Embargo: Sweet Amber that discolors very dark
Lemon Unhinged: Sweet/Tart Lemon Cookie - I had weirdness with a chromium green mica colored portion but more other colors were fine
Snow Witch: Winter lightly piney scent
Saucy Santa: chocolate mint + something else I cannot put my finger on. It was a little flat right after soaping, but it's gotten back some more complex notes during cure.
Patchouli EO: is a really good patch - sweet and nutty without being too earthy

I haven't tried these in soap yet, but like them in B&B a lot:
South Beach: tropical fruit
Earl Gray Tea: just like the name; I hear it doesn't stick in CP though
Sexy Beast: Grown up floral... not normally something I'd go for but DH loves it.
Spanish Fly: Interesting blend of smoky, green, citrus and something else. Smells great and is definitely on my soaping list

Come to think of it, I'm about to soap with their Vanilla Milk. I keep buying it and using it up in B&B (it's the best vanilla I've smelled oob). Santa brought me another bottle that I am going to dedicate for soaping this month. If you'd like, I'll make an uncolored sample bar and send it your way. I also have a bar of WSP Vanilla Oak I can send. Just shoot me a pm. :)

Their micas and botanicals are really nice too.

From NG, I like:
Cracklin' Birch: smokey/woodsy and sticks like nobody's business
Bite Me: Hawaiian Fruit Punch

Vanilla Milk is so amazing from there. Be warned. It turns so dark brown, darker than dark cocoa powder. It's quite lovely. I always get a nice ash on that one so the color contrast looks nice.

Now I'm hoping MO has a sale soon so I can grab Vanilla Milk. I swore to myself no more FO's since I stocked up from all the recent sales but man...........I REALLY WANT IT. I've been eyeing it forever now but haven't tried any FO's from MO just yet.

Dixiedragon those lip balm flavors sound amazing...how did you know I want to try lip balms this year?

Snappyllama - thanks for the awesome suggestions! I'd be happy to take a sample bar of vanilla milk too, if you really don't mind, I'll send you a pm.

You are all awesome!!!!

"Iced Pineapple and Tangerine" is just one flavor. I like it a lot! I got a bunch of samples from them but haven't had a chance to soap them. OOB I really like Hippie Chick and Forbidden Fruit.

I have some of the vanillas on your list.

CS Very Vanilla: This discolored as expected and was very faint. The scent got stronger with cure but morphed into something that smells awful to my nose. I tried it at the sink and it reminded me of a hospital room scent with a bit of disinfectant and something else unpleasant. I removed the bar from the bathroom the same day. This is the only tester that I tried so far that didn't survive a day at the sink.

I have 3 vanillas from NDA. I haven't written a review yet. The Tahitian Vanilla smells like burnt sugar. I'll have to try them at the sink and will update.

The TNC Vanilla Bean Noel smelled the most like vanilla to me. The tester is a few weeks older and it needs an update. I actually bought a 4oz bottle to make a larger batch.

If you want to try any of the vanillas I have, I can send them to you.

I have some of the vanillas on your list.

CS Very Vanilla: This discolored as expected and was very faint. The scent got stronger with cure but morphed into something that smells awful to my nose. I tried it at the sink and it reminded me of a hospital room scent with a bit of disinfectant and something else unpleasant. I removed the bar from the bathroom the same day. This is the only tester that I tried so far that didn't survive a day at the sink.

I have 3 vanillas from NDA. I haven't written a review yet. The Tahitian Vanilla smells like burnt sugar. I'll have to try them at the sink and will update.

The TNC Vanilla Bean Noel smelled the most like vanilla to me. The tester is a few weeks older and it needs an update. I actually bought a 4oz bottle to make a larger batch.

If you want to try any of the vanillas I have, I can send them to you.

That would be awesome, I only need a quarter to half ounce to run a test, I can certainly pay you for it and shipping.

If there are any other FO's I have you want to try, make a list. Thanks for the offer to cover the cost but it isn't necessary.
From NDA I have: Vanilla, French Vanilla, Tahitian Vanilla, and Vanilla Creme. I also have the Vanilla from TCS, not just Vanilla Bean Noel. I have Vanillary from FB which I think is worth a try. From FB also, I have Vanilla Ice cream

I think I can ship in the USPS flat rate boxes without any problems.

If there are any other FO's I have you want to try, make a list. Thanks for the offer to cover the cost but it isn't necessary.
From NDA I have: Vanilla, French Vanilla, Tahitian Vanilla, and Vanilla Creme. I also have the Vanilla from TCS, not just Vanilla Bean Noel. I have Vanillary from FB which I think is worth a try. From FB also, I have Vanilla Ice cream

I think I can ship in the USPS flat rate boxes without any problems.

Honestly, I'm happy to try them all. I don't have any of those yet so the more the merrier.

Back