Vanilin content under 2 %

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by SunRiseArts, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Nov 17, 2017 #1

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

Sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and had a gazillion results.

How much vanillin in a fragrance would make your soap brown? Is under 2 % safe? What about under 1%?

Thanks.

MorpheusPA likes this.
  2. Nov 17, 2017 #2

MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/why-did-my-soap-turn-brown/

Soap Queen did a demo. While the lowest is 2.5%, I'd call that significant browning.

1% would be about 40% that, or a middling taupe, but still a noticeable deviation off white.

One of my fragrances has half a percent vanilla. I can detect the change from white easily and either embrace it with a tan vanilla swirl in white or cancel it as much as possible with titanium dioxide.

I can see the discoloration using bay rum (about 0.1% or so), but it's really quite minor and I just don't do those in lighter colors.

SunRiseArts, Zany_in_CO and Susie like this.
  3. Nov 17, 2017 #3

KellySoapCo

KellySoapCo

KellySoapCo

I use a color stabilizer with any sort of vanillin content if I want white or other light colors. It all discolors, just more drastically the higher the percent.

4. Nov 17, 2017 #4

SoapEh

SoapEh

SoapEh

I just used a new fragrance that has, if I recall correctly, 1.7% vanillin. I figured since I wanted a brownish colour anyway I would let the soap just do its thing. It went chocolate brown, but the inside was still tan. Within 36 hours of cutting, the slices were all the colour of rich, dark chocolate.

I had another batch of fairly high vanilla content where I tried using a vanilla stabilizer, and ended up with mocha fudge coloured soap after two weeks.

I have resolved to love chocolate brown soap and work with it, rather than fighting for a white colour that goes against the nature of a particular fragrance.

Susie likes this.
  5. Nov 17, 2017 #5

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

Thank you all!

Wow, just 1.7% turned it dark brown!

Susie likes this.
  6. Nov 17, 2017 #6

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

I use BCN's VS and have had soaps stay the color I intended for up to a year before the vs started to fail. (and I've only had soaps that turn a very very dark brown fail after a year, ones that only turn a tan or light brown color haven't failed after 18 months)
    For my applications this result is good enough for me. I use it in almost every batch, because it's not just vanilla that will brown a soap, although that is the most common.
    Never had a problem.

7. Nov 17, 2017 #7

toxikon

toxikon

toxikon

Supporting Member

I find that any amount of vanillin will discolour my soap at least a bit, even with the addition of TD. I've never tried a vanilla stabilizer, I just don't buy FOs unless they're 0% vanillin these days.

8. Nov 18, 2017 #8

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

I too only buy FOs now that are 0 %, but since I had some in stock, I was wondering. I do know VS works, but I was just wondering how low can you go without having to use the stabilizer.

Thank you all for the help. :)

9. Nov 18, 2017 #9

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

jcandleattic

Besides using the maximum amount of TD there really isn't a way to avoid the darkening when using discoloring FO's.

10. Nov 18, 2017 #10

Susie

Susie

Susie

Supporting Member

I learned to roll with the brown color, even using the FO in only part of the batch in order to have a swirl. I am fortunate that I like scents that are warm, homey, and/or food related. So even if the FO only lightly discolors, I will add cocoa powder to make it darker.

11. Nov 19, 2017 #11

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

I think that is part of my problem Susie! I love food and sweet smells, most of them have vanillin :(