Using Word & text boxes for labels...?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budsudz

Reaction score
I have been trying to use Word & text boxes for making little hang tags to tie onto my soaps. I figured out how to create a box & enter text, but am having trouble getting them to be in a uniform layout (columns/rows), and how to add pics, and make them transparant. If anyone has further coaching, it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Oh, and I'm hoping I can then line up the ingredients to print on the back side..... :?

Word may not be the best software to do that, even if you know it well this kind of layout is a pain. If you can find Microsoft Publisher, it's made to make tags, labels, card, calendars, banners and everything related, so you'll have a lot less trouble.

Also, if your tags were made by a big manufacturer, sometime they offer free software on their websites to help you design your labels and tags.

Goodness! Text boxes? What a long and involved way to build a few tags. Word has a really good label maker built right into it that has a lot of Avery labels pre-made. Why not just set up labels using that and then print them as tags? If I was designing tags using Word and not Publisher, that's what I'd do. Publisher can be great if you have a knack for learning programs but it can also be a pain if you are trying to figure it out. I use both and have done so for years. I've also taught Word both private and classroom. To me, Word is easier for the average computer user to learn and there are so many things built into it. Have a look under "Envelopes and labels" and go into the options section. You can make your "labels" any size you want in there and get exactly what you want. Then when you go back out (choose "New Document") you will have a page of your tags. It's a matter of designing them from there. Design one and then copy the whole tag to the next one and the next until you have a row. Then copy the row of tags without the end (just the individual boxes). Now click into the next row and paste... and paste the next row... etc. until you reach the end. Voila! A page of tags. Print and use.

You asked how to put pictures in. Not difficult. Choose "insert.. picture.. from file" and go to wherever you have your picture stored. Click and it will land where you have your cursor set. You may need to resize the picture to fit. Now right click on the picture and set it so that the text wraps to either left or right "tight".

You also asked how to put information on the back of the labels. Once you have the front page complete, hit "tab" at the end of the last row to get it to head to the next page. Now click the end of each row and tab so that you make new rows. Do this until you have a full sheet of labels. Input whatever information you want on the back (you may need to resize text). As on the front, design your first label completely. Then just copy and paste as before until you have a full page. After that you can print to see how you did. I would test on paper first if you're using special label paper. You also may want to make the lines of the boxes in a very light grey if you're going to be cutting the tags yourself.

I agree w/moondancer. Use your label templates. Find one that is the size you want your tags to be. You can type directly on them and add photos. I usually make sure my photos are "in front of text", that option allows you to move them around easier.

Make a second page w/your template and type whatever you want on the back. Just remember which way you have to place your paper in the printer for the second run.

I made some tags once, not for soap and it worked just fine. I used card stock and cut them out on a cutting board. They ended up about 2.5" X 3" with text on both sides.

Good luck!!

Hello ilovedoxies! :)

I only suggested that the picture be text wrapped left or right because sometimes pictures can jump someplace else if they aren't. Word has had that problem since its beginning and it's never been truly "fixed". LOL Also, if you have the picture in front of the text, you can accidentally cover some of your text up. LOL Done that once or twice! ;)

Latest posts

Back