Two base oils that are dirt cheap at the supermarket

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by John Harris, Nov 6, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 6, 2019 #1

John Harris

John Harris

John Harris

Supporting Member

Corn Oil and a jug called "Vegetable Oil" (They are like 5 dollars for 3 liters.)

I never hear corn oil mentioned by anyone - is there a reason?

And with the Vegetable Oil, how would you plug that into Soap Calc? Would you have to know (or estimate) its SAP value and then select an oil close to it? (If I remember right, DeeAnna once told me that a number of base oils have similar SAP values.)

Or... should we shun these oils cuz they come from the "wrong side of the tracks"?

2. Nov 6, 2019 #2

DawninWA

DawninWA

DawninWA

The one that is just vegetable is probably soybean. These aren't used much in soap because they go rancid easily and can contribute to DOS.

John Harris and Dahila like this.
  3. Nov 6, 2019 #3

RogueRose

RogueRose

RogueRose

I'll bet it lists the type of oil on the back of the bottle. I've never seen one that doesn't list it.

John Harris likes this.
  4. Nov 6, 2019 #4

GML

GML

GML

John Harris likes this.
  5. Nov 6, 2019 #5

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

Saponificarian

I am experimenting with Corn and sunflower oil right now at 40% simply because I can and see how it does over time without citric acid or EDTA. I am loving them in soap and even if it DOS’ed, I can junk them or make smaller batches but I will be using them in soap. I plan to make batches with EDTA and Citric acid combined and see how that fare compare with batches without both.

SoapySuds and John Harris like this.
  6. Nov 6, 2019 #6

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

I do not use cheap oils cause corn one is full of pesticides. Corn is sweet so a lot of pests get to it, It must be heavily sprayed to get the harvest, I do not use any corn at all Soybean I use in lotions of serums cause is an awesome oil but I buy organic so it is not gmo

John Harris likes this.
  7. Nov 6, 2019 #7

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I've seen soap recipes that use soybean and apparently the lather is great with just a little of it. Now I have no idea how long those soaps lasted before they got DOS but there are ways to store your oils to keep them from getting rancid quickly.

John Harris likes this.
  8. Nov 6, 2019 #8

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I don't use soy anything and I've never thought to try corn oil. Probably won't either. Haven't check the numbers but both may be suspect for DOS. Soy is at to high of use from what I've read.

John Harris likes this.
  9. Nov 7, 2019 #9

lovinglife

lovinglife

lovinglife

I have a recipe that does use soybean oil and just saying it makes the best soap. This recipe has a lot of different oils so not a huge amount of the soybean.

John Harris likes this.
  10. Nov 7, 2019 #10

The_Emerald_Chicken

The_Emerald_Chicken

The_Emerald_Chicken

I'm curious what the general opinion of sunflower oil is. My go-to recipe is lard, coconut, & sunflower oil--cheap, but works great for our family. I've gotten a little DOS but not bad overall. Anybody else have experience with sunflower oil?

11. Nov 7, 2019 #11

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Yes, I use sunflower as a replacement for olive oil. But I'm using high oleic sunflower, not conventional (high linoleic) sunflower. A lot of sunflower in the grocery store is HO nowadays, so it's not particularly unusual, but you do have to read the labels to know which is which. https://classicbells.com/soap/highOleic.asp

I don't typically use high linoleic fats in my soap. I don't mind a little bit of linoleic and linolenic acids in the fatty acid profile, but not a lot. I like my soap to get fairly hard fairly soon, and I want soap that is not overly prone to rancidity.

John Harris likes this.