Today's Salt Bar - OPW

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
40% Salt bar I made today. I used a new pouring container (link below) that I thought would make an interesting swirl and provide better control over the batter going into the mold. I didn't make as big of a mess as I usually do, but the batter did back up in the long, narrow spout. The lid is removable. Can't wait to try it with a regular soap recipe.

WirthCo 94026 Funnel King Heavy Duty Graduated Measuring Container with Black Spout - 87 oz. Capacity

1.jpg

Looks amazing! My single experience with salt bars was an accelerating frenzy, so I'm doubly impressed!
The jug looks like what I used to use for my lye before I started masterbatching, although I got mine from the hardware store. I think it was meant for either milking cows or tractor maintenance (going by where I found it) but I'm not entirely sure which!

Thank you, @AliOop. I know what you mean about the Amazon list. I always want so many new gadgets, I just keep adding to my list and then when DH wants to know what I want for a holiday I send him my list. So it does come in handy. Also, it provides a 'cooling off period' so I don't impulse buy as much.

Thank you, @Tara_H. I think because I use only 40% salt I don't get as much acceleration. Plus, I try to do the usual to slow acceleration - use lower temps, well behaved FO, reduced stick blending, and I split my FO and salt into the same proportions of each color and hand mix them into the colored batter. This container is more for auto mechanics to mix up their oils and such so they probably sell them at auto parts stores. I first tried to find a funnel cake pitcher but they were too small. Then I ordered one similar to this but it was all one piece (instead of removable lid) so you couldn't pour your colors down the sidewall of the container or clean it easily so I relegated that one to my garden tool shed.

I can't wait to try this with a regular soap recipe. I still haven't been able to achieve the look I want with the OPW so I hope this will help get me there ;)

Latest posts

Back