Time-saving Tips

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here’s a little time-saving idea I came up with today. If everyone is already doing this and thinking, “Well, duh,” please be kind.

Many of us use freezer or other suitable paper to line molds, but everybody universally hates taking the time to form it. I use the “crease-cut-and-wing method” (because I honestly cannot figure out the process for folding pleats in spite of watching that video a dozen times).

So, as I’m preparing to make a batch of soap today to relieve some of the massive work stress I’m under right now, I was doing my regular mold-lining method and hating it as usual. Then it dawned on me that since paper is flat and stackable and my liners and always the same dimensions, I cold size, mark and stack several up and do all the creases and cuts at the same time to have my next several batches already done. I folded the extras into nice little booklets along the mold corner lines, labeled them for the appropriate mold size and stacked them book-wise in my soaping cabinet. I’ll thank myself on the next few batches.

What are your favorite time savers? 688310EA-CB30-44A0-9694-514D5E2CF9A0.jpegDF305F81-B1DA-499A-B8F4-6B1E9D759186.jpegCF44827E-2364-43F7-A8EB-88E60EF8BE0C.jpeg

Ten batches and I'm already tired of the paper! My time saving tip is, I'm going to buy a silicone liner, lol. (Notice how you seldom see paper in any loaf photos?)

I've not come up with any real time savers for soaping. I don't master batch because that would take up even more room in here, and my soap stuff is already taking up room we absolutely didn't have.

BTW, sorry to hear about the job stress. ;\

In case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating, lol. This was "the last remaining vestige" of the living/dining room. Need a place to sit? :oops: I'll move the yellow bin lid for ya ...

'Spose I could organize this stuff a bit better ... :rolleyes:

My SO is a Saint, or an enabler, hahahaha!! "You may be right/ I may be crazy/ But it just might be a lunatic you're lookin' for..." ~Billy Joel

20190316_soap stuff 100455-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating, lol. This was "the last remaining vestige" of the living/dining room. Need a place to sit? :oops: I'll move the yellow bin lid for ya ...

View attachment 37555

looks like you need the SO to build you a simple shelf--just make it big enough for growth :)

Here’s a little time-saving idea I came up with today. If everyone is already doing this and thinking, “Well, duh,” please be kind.

Many of us use freezer or other suitable paper to line molds, but everybody universally hates taking the time to form it. I use the “crease-cut-and-wing method” (because I honestly cannot figure out the process for folding pleats in spite of watching that video a dozen times).

So, as I’m preparing to make a batch of soap today to relieve some of the massive work stress I’m under right now, I was doing my regular mold-lining method and hating it as usual. Then it dawned on me that since paper is flat and stackable and my liners and always the same dimensions, I cold size, mark and stack several up and do all the creases and cuts at the same time to have my next several batches already done. I folded the extras into nice little booklets along the mold corner lines, labeled them for the appropriate mold size and stacked them book-wise in my soaping cabinet. I’ll thank myself on the next few batches.

What are your favorite time savers?View attachment 37551View attachment 37552View attachment 37553

I have 2 molds that I line myself--one I got tired of using paper and cut up one of my silicone sheets from my dehydrator and the other I have paper in but haven't used yet--I think today is the day though but I do have another dehydrator liner cut to size just need to work at getting it folded up and trimmed. Smart to get a bunch done at a time. Happy Soaping

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 molds that I line myself--one I got tired of using paper and cut up one of my silicone sheets from my dehydrator and the other I have paper in but haven't used yet--I think today is the day though but I do have another dehydrator liner cut to size just need to work at getting it folded up and trimmed. Smart to get a bunch done at a time. Happy Soaping
That’s another great tip: As soon as you unmold and cut a batch, let the mold dry while you admire your work, set the bars to dry and clean up any mess, then go ahead and re-line for the next time. Whether it’s the next day or next month, you’re good to go!

Cut some silicon barbecue liners to fit, you'll never have to line a mould again

Do you have to do anything to seal them once cut to fit, or do you slit and then wrap them like the freezer paper? Sorry if this question sounds stupid, lol. I just ordered some because I liked your suggestion, and need to know what happens next. ;)

Do you have to do anything to seal them once cut to fit, or do you slit and then wrap them like the freezer paper? Sorry if this question sounds stupid, lol. I just ordered some because I liked your suggestion, and need to know what happens next. ;)

I taped mine together into shape. I do still prefer proper silicon liners though

I taped mine together into shape. I do still prefer proper silicon liners though

I suspected that , thank you!
I'll probably end up buying a liner eventually, if I can find one that fits my loaf mold. :)

I have tried everything for liners. I finally just said to heck with it, and I use a flat sheet of freezer paper in both directions (one longitudinally, one horizontally) laid on top of one another, and it works just fine. No folding, no creasing, no driving myself crazy. I put them in tightly, and I have no leaks in my log molds. It may be a little rough at the edges where they meet, but I don't care about that. Try it and see if it works in your molds.

I have tried everything for liners. I finally just said to heck with it, and I use a flat sheet of freezer paper in both directions (one longitudinally, one horizontally) laid on top of one another, and it works just fine. No folding, no creasing, no driving myself crazy. I put them in tightly, and I have no leaks in my log molds. It may be a little rough at the edges where they meet, but I don't care about that. Try it and see if it works in your molds.

that's what I used to do too--much easier than tryin to fold corners.

What do you do now, Marilyn? Have you cracked the code?

haha--I posted above that I am using some of my silicone liners from my dehydrator cut to size plus I ordered some silicone liners and had wooden boxes made for them. cutting freezer paper for some reason is just too putzy for me (in other words I hate it :) ) others have said they use grill silicon molds--I used what I had so if you have to buy I would check around for what different kinds are out there

haha--I posted above that I am using some of my silicone liners from my dehydrator cut to size plus I ordered some silicone liners and had wooden boxes made for them. cutting freezer paper for some reason is just too putzy for me (in other words I hate it :) ) others have said they use grill silicon molds--I used what I had so if you have to buy I would check around for what different kinds are out there
Sorry, I missed that! I don't like it, but I don't hate cutting straight strips of paper. I tried silicone liners, and I didn't like them either. I am the woman who cannot be pleased on lining molds.

Sorry, I missed that! I don't like it, but I don't hate cutting straight strips of paper. I tried silicone liners, and I didn't like them either. I am the woman who cannot be pleased on lining molds.

well then do the things that drives you the least nuts :) . unfortunately I have issues cutting straight lines--don't know why but I am horrible at it, even when cutting on drawn lines I always go over the lines. it took awhile to get the liners right and now I am going to use them dangit :)

It can be a pain to form liners, from freezer paper, and the cost certainly adds up. But with my stacked cutting and the winged shape I use its gotten much more tolerable. If I purchase silicone, I’d have to rebuild my wooden molds...no thanks, at least for now.

Ten batches and I'm already tired of the paper! My time saving tip is, I'm going to buy a silicone liner, lol. (Notice how you seldom see paper in any loaf photos?)

I've not come up with any real time savers for soaping. I don't master batch because that would take up even more room in here, and my soap stuff is already taking up room we absolutely didn't have.

BTW, sorry to hear about the job stress. ;\

My SO is a Saint, or an enabler, hahahaha!! "You may be right/ I may be crazy/ But it just might be a lunatic you're lookin' for..." ~Billy Joel

View attachment 37555
Looks like my living room couch and the kitchen counters are over run with soaping tools that I just washed and candles I just made. There’s no place to sit, or eat or cook in my apartment.

Latest posts

Back