Time-saving Tips

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by DWinMadison, Mar 16, 2019 at 3:23 PM.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 16, 2019 at 3:23 PM #1

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Here’s a little time-saving idea I came up with today. If everyone is already doing this and thinking, “Well, duh,” please be kind.

Many of us use freezer or other suitable paper to line molds, but everybody universally hates taking the time to form it. I use the “crease-cut-and-wing method” (because I honestly cannot figure out the process for folding pleats in spite of watching that video a dozen times).

So, as I’m preparing to make a batch of soap today to relieve some of the massive work stress I’m under right now, I was doing my regular mold-lining method and hating it as usual. Then it dawned on me that since paper is flat and stackable and my liners and always the same dimensions, I cold size, mark and stack several up and do all the creases and cuts at the same time to have my next several batches already done. I folded the extras into nice little booklets along the mold corner lines, labeled them for the appropriate mold size and stacked them book-wise in my soaping cabinet. I’ll thank myself on the next few batches.

What are your favorite time savers? 688310EA-CB30-44A0-9694-514D5E2CF9A0.jpeg DF305F81-B1DA-499A-B8F4-6B1E9D759186.jpeg CF44827E-2364-43F7-A8EB-88E60EF8BE0C.jpeg

2. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:12 PM #2

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Ten batches and I'm already tired of the paper! My time saving tip is, I'm going to buy a silicone liner, lol. (Notice how you seldom see paper in any loaf photos?)

I've not come up with any real time savers for soaping. I don't master batch because that would take up even more room in here, and my soap stuff is already taking up room we absolutely didn't have.

BTW, sorry to hear about the job stress. ;\

In case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating, lol. This was "the last remaining vestige" of the living/dining room. Need a place to sit? :oops: I'll move the yellow bin lid for ya ...

'Spose I could organize this stuff a bit better ... :rolleyes:

My SO is a Saint, or an enabler, hahahaha!! "You may be right/ I may be crazy/ But it just might be a lunatic you're lookin' for..." ~Billy Joel

20190316_soap stuff 100455-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019 at 10:26 AM
  3. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:46 PM #3

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

looks like you need the SO to build you a simple shelf--just make it big enough for growth :)

I have 2 molds that I line myself--one I got tired of using paper and cut up one of my silicone sheets from my dehydrator and the other I have paper in but haven't used yet--I think today is the day though but I do have another dehydrator liner cut to size just need to work at getting it folded up and trimmed. Smart to get a bunch done at a time. Happy Soaping

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    Meena likes this.
  4. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:34 PM #4

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

That’s another great tip: As soon as you unmold and cut a batch, let the mold dry while you admire your work, set the bars to dry and clean up any mess, then go ahead and re-line for the next time. Whether it’s the next day or next month, you’re good to go!

Marilyn Norgart likes this.
  5. Mar 16, 2019 at 11:27 PM #5

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

Cut some silicon barbecue liners to fit, you'll never have to line a mould again

Nanette and Meena like this.
  6. Mar 17, 2019 at 1:57 AM #6

Kamahido

Kamahido

Kamahido

Paladin of Soap

Give me silicone liners any day. Did the whole parchment paper thing once and that was all I could take!

Primrose likes this.
  7. Mar 17, 2019 at 2:30 AM #7

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Do you have to do anything to seal them once cut to fit, or do you slit and then wrap them like the freezer paper? Sorry if this question sounds stupid, lol. I just ordered some because I liked your suggestion, and need to know what happens next. ;)

8. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:00 AM #8

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

I taped mine together into shape. I do still prefer proper silicon liners though

9. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:32 AM #9

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

I suspected that , thank you!
    I'll probably end up buying a liner eventually, if I can find one that fits my loaf mold. :)

10. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:58 AM #10

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

You could make a timber mold to fit the silicone liner you buy!
    Or modify the one you have.

Meena likes this.
  11. Mar 17, 2019 at 1:23 PM #11

beckster51

beckster51

beckster51

Supporting Member

I have tried everything for liners. I finally just said to heck with it, and I use a flat sheet of freezer paper in both directions (one longitudinally, one horizontally) laid on top of one another, and it works just fine. No folding, no creasing, no driving myself crazy. I put them in tightly, and I have no leaks in my log molds. It may be a little rough at the edges where they meet, but I don't care about that. Try it and see if it works in your molds.

amd, Meena and Marilyn Norgart like this.
  12. Mar 17, 2019 at 1:58 PM #12

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

that's what I used to do too--much easier than tryin to fold corners.

13. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:03 PM #13

beckster51

beckster51

beckster51

Supporting Member

What do you do now, Marilyn? Have you cracked the code?

14. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:16 PM #14

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

haha--I posted above that I am using some of my silicone liners from my dehydrator cut to size plus I ordered some silicone liners and had wooden boxes made for them. cutting freezer paper for some reason is just too putzy for me (in other words I hate it :) ) others have said they use grill silicon molds--I used what I had so if you have to buy I would check around for what different kinds are out there

15. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:18 PM #15

beckster51

beckster51

beckster51

Supporting Member

Sorry, I missed that! I don't like it, but I don't hate cutting straight strips of paper. I tried silicone liners, and I didn't like them either. I am the woman who cannot be pleased on lining molds.

Meena likes this.
  16. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:27 PM #16

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

well then do the things that drives you the least nuts :) . unfortunately I have issues cutting straight lines--don't know why but I am horrible at it, even when cutting on drawn lines I always go over the lines. it took awhile to get the liners right and now I am going to use them dangit :)

Meena and Nanette like this.
  17. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:11 AM #17

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

It can be a pain to form liners, from freezer paper, and the cost certainly adds up. But with my stacked cutting and the winged shape I use its gotten much more tolerable. If I purchase silicone, I’d have to rebuild my wooden molds...no thanks, at least for now.

18. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:36 AM #18

loriag

loriag

loriag

Supporting Member

@Misschief's template idea plus learning to fold without cutting has made my life easy with freezer paper.

Misschief likes this.
  19. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:38 AM #19

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

I’d love to fold without cutting but cannot figure it out for the life of me.

20. Mar 18, 2019 at 2:35 PM #20

maxine289

maxine289

maxine289

Supporting Member

Looks like my living room couch and the kitchen counters are over run with soaping tools that I just washed and candles I just made. There’s no place to sit, or eat or cook in my apartment.

Meena likes this.