Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has already been explained in the previous posts in this thread, salt thickens only certain types of LS. It works okay for some recipes and not at all for others. Even if salt does add some thickness to a given LS, you are not likely to get that "thick viscous type" of product you say you want with salt alone.

I'm living proof that you can make a thick/viscous liquid soap without adding salt. I make 2 different formulas (a clear soap and an opaque soap) using the glycerin method of liquid soap-making, and both dilute out as thick as pourable honey. The recipes of both are both posted in this section somewhere.

IrishLass :)

I'm living proof that you can make a thick/viscous liquid soap without adding salt. I make 2 different formulas (a clear soap and an opaque soap) using the glycerin method of liquid soap-making, and both dilute out as thick as pourable honey. The recipes of both are both posted in this section somewhere.

IrishLass :)

Mine which was done Irishlass way is like honey too:))not crotix or salt or borax, just SL and distilled water

Speaking in general, it seems a fair number of people want their LS thicker than a "honey" syrupy-ness and they want to do this with what they perceive to be a "natural" additive. Perhaps that's why folks are repeatedly asking questions about thickening with salt which is a fairly unreliable additive for thickening, rather than looking at safe, reliable thickeners such as HEC. I'm confused and bemused by this.

Last edited:
Hola IrishLass.

You mentioned that both of your recipes were posted in this section somewhere but i couldn't find them. Could you send a link to my email at [email protected]?
I use the glycerin method too and want to thicken my soap somehow. Thanks for any info!

Rich
Tinamastes, Costa Rica

Originally Posted by IrishLass

Latest posts

Back