the look of handmade

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwahlne

Reaction score
What's a good way of saying, "My soap looks handmade and I like it that way..."?

I want to put a sign in my booth that may explain the slight variations in size and color of the soaps. I actually WANT my soap to look rustic and handmade. I don't want the "perfect" look. Can't think of a good way to put that...

kwahlne said:
What's a good way of saying, "My soap looks handmade and I like it that way..."?

I want to put a sign in my booth that may explain the slight variations in size and color of the soaps. I actually WANT my soap to look rustic and handmade. I don't want the "perfect" look. Can't think of a good way to put that...

than do hp, it looks more rustic, cut it into chunks?

Tabitha is good with phrasing things....when she comes along she will be a big help. :wink:

Something like....Variations that occur in colour and shape indicate these soaps are a HANDMADE quality product, each batch individually coloured and cut by hand.

Tanya :)

How chi-chi or granola-heady is your clientele? For a more formal clientele, I'd put up a pretty little card with something like what topcat suggeted. For a more relaxed clientele, I might be more playful.

"Cookie cutter adj. Marked by uniformity or lack of originality; mass-produced. At XXYY Soaps, we are the Anti-Cookie-Cutter. Our soaps are one-of-a-kind, hand cut and hand made. Bumps, irregularities, and rough edges are part of your unique soap. Go on. Embrace originality."

WOW, that is really a really awesome way of saying it surf girl!

I wanted to say something that that with my soaps too, but I didn't have a great way of putting it, I said something about being unique.... not being factory made..... conversation point.... the customers get more soap because it's not trimmed off..... things like that but my brain is not working well at the moment and I cannot find a good way of putting it :p

surf girl said:
How chi-chi or granola-heady is your clientele? For a more formal clientele, I'd put up a pretty little card with something like what topcat suggeted. For a more relaxed clientele, I might be more playful.

"Cookie cutter adj. Marked by uniformity or lack of originality; mass-produced. At XXYY Soaps, we are the Anti-Cookie-Cutter. Our soaps are one-of-a-kind, hand cut and hand made. Bumps, irregularities, and rough edges are part of your unique soap. Go on. Embrace originality."

I may have to indulge in a little plagiarism... :lol: :lol:

Here are a couple thoughts.

3 walnut soaps are made and cut by hand, in small batches. Slight variations in appearance assure you will always get a unique one of a kind masterpiece.

3 walnut soaps are made and cut by hand, in small batches. Slight variations in appearance add charm.

I'm not really so good with words, and you've already got some excellent input, but one thing I'd do is take some pictures of yourself while making and cutting your soap (with a knife preferably. Even if you use a different method to cut it, there's nothing more graphic than a knife), make some big, visible copies, and put them somewhere they can be easily seen, with a legend like "this is how we make it", or something similar.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps... :)

You guys ROCK! I love ALL the ideas! I took notes and I'm going to find a way to combine them all.

I knew I would get great feedback from you! :D :D :D

my ditty:

because our soaps are handmade in small batches and are hand cut the weights may vary slightly but are at least the weight stated, we also cannot duplicate exact color/look from batch to batch making each one unique.

On my label it states:

Handmade in small batches
Lighthouse Point, FL

Most of the local soap makers seem to do CP and or melt and pour so my HP soap looks very different. When I first started selling soap, I mentioned several times about not always cutting straight. Customers told me they didn't care about that. They like my product line and how their skin feels.
I think it is an advantage that it looks different from the competition.

oh goodness, I simply cannot tolerate uneven cutting - to ME it's just sloppy, and hand made doesn't need to be sloppy, and doesn't make it "cookie cutter". I got a Tank and slab molds with dividers to help prevent that.

and I worked hard to ensure that I actually CAN produce consistent batches before I went "live" - sure the swirls will vary, but not the color or the size of the bars.

but that's ME.

Sloppy is not an accurate description of anything I have ever made. Hand crafted and original would be accurate. Disparaging and negative remarks are always inappropriate.

I stated specifically that it was how *I* saw it and that *I* couldn't tolerate it. Call me OCD - I also straighten pictures.

My soaps are handcrafted and original, by the way. Just different from yours.

x

you may want to throw a few of these descriptive words in, too:

artisan made, hand crafted, rustic and one-of-a-kind.

monet

Thanks Monet.

Carebear, sometimes you may want to consider that some things are better left unsaid, personal opinion or not.

I also straighten pictures.
-LOL! I do this too, I have also been known to re-arrange flowers in hotel lobbies and trim plans in waiting rooms.

I like to see uneven bars myself, it's kinda like *proof* that indeed it is handmade. I find it whimsical. But that's just me :wink:.

Kristin, either way - your soap is great. I'm sitting here looking at the Watermelon bar I got from you last time I saw you. I almost can't part with it. :lol:

Barb said:
my ditty:

because our soaps are handmade in small batches and are hand cut the weights may vary slightly but are at least the weight stated, we also cannot duplicate exact color/look from batch to batch making each one unique.

i have a tank for slicing my soaps from purchased log molds. because i choose to texture the tops, some of my soaps even with the tank are not all the same weight. we swirl so that makes them impossible to duplicate and sometimes we change the color because it makes it sell better. perfect example is a mans soap we do that originially i left it to do it's own thing but it didn't sell well, now i do a mica swirl and it sells so much better. my customers seem to pick up a soap by the look first, i actually have had customers say that they buy handmade soap because of how it looks and the benifits are just a bonus.

according to my family no one is as ocd as i am, lol.

Back