The Dish Forum - problems?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One reason for the more relaxed atmosphere at this forum is because we do not allow snide remarks or flaming. As mod/admins, we have gotten some flack from a few members who did not understand the reason for deleted posts or locked threads. Once you have been burned by members of the "other" forum, you know how it feels and we don't want anyone treated that way here. I think we have great members here, who willingly share experiences and information.:winner:

@DeeAnna....I asked someone for credited sources, not a blog that linked to another blog that linked to another blog....

That's a pet peeve of mine, too. I do think it's fair to debate the validity of something presented as fact and to ask the other person to support that "fact" with additional information. As I understand your story, I do not think you should have been banned for what you did.

That said, unless I specifically quote someone, I don't usually cite references. I've written and edited enough scholarly papers in my engineering field to know how to do this, but I'm writing for a general audience here, not for a peer-reviewed engineering or science journal. If someone wants more info and asks specific questions to get clarification, however, I'm usually willing to provide more detailed answers, as some of you who have waded through some of my long-winded posts will know.

On the other hand, a few people sometimes want to wrangle with me just for the sake of getting a pseudo-science drama fix. I'm not interested in trying to buy into a person's need for drama -- they are going remain skeptical and mistrusting of me no matter what, so it's a no-win situation to respond. IMO, I see more of this attitude -- and more of a "don't confuse me with the facts" attitude -- in many FB soaping groups than I do here.

IMHO One of the things wrong with many of the FB groups that I have seen is that the Admins do not monitor as they should as they have an interest in the group as a whole. They are groups that make money from the participants. Many are groups run for the sole purpose of selling something. There are many. So they do not care what is happening in the group. I made a private message complaint about something going on in the group to an Admin directly and it went unanswered, even though it was read. I will not mention names but Im sure you know which ones they are. They could care less what is going on there and they link these members ( mostly new soaper's ) to their website to sell their ebooks. The disrespect runs rampant there.

Also I think that people that are new and want to learn are seriously taken advantage of by these type of groups. But I guess that's the business of making money, Very sad.

When the dish was going better than it is today I received an abundance of help when trying to learn how to make lotion. There are some knowledgeable lotion makers over there. I even joined a swap as a novice lotion maker and everyone was kind and helpful. Not saying they always are but they really helped me and I have done a very co-ops over there

I always found Dish member Liz to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable about making lotions and cosmetics......and very kind and patient to boot. I've always loved reading through her posts.....and of course SwiftCraftyMonkey's as well. LabRat was a fount of wonderful scientific and cosmetic wisdom (being in the industry), but had so many negative run-ins with one of the bullies that he eventually went in and deleted a lot of his posts. And then he passed away, which was very sad. A lot of what he had posted is now lost to us forever. And I will forever be indebted to 3bees~1flower, Lily2, tarafotty and SilverDoctor for giving me the courage I needed to finally step out and make liquid soap!

IrishLass :)

@IrishLass -- You named people on The Dish whom I came to respect as well. I learned about the HLB system for emulsifiers from LabRat. SilverDoctor was a gold mine of info about microbial contamination in lotions and similar products, as well as about how to make liquid soap. Cathy is another person to add to the list -- she shared a lot of good info and insights about shampoo bars. The other folks don't stand out as distinctly to me, but I recognize all the names as people who have been helpful and knowledgeable.

Folks, I know this subject looks old, and I am an old member of theDish too, that I visit infrequently, but recently I can't even open the site - getting 500 error. Has it completely gone down?

I submitted a request on FB to join the group, but not even sure if that's still active...

Folks, I know this subject looks old, and I am an old member of theDish too, that I visit infrequently, but recently I can't even open the site - getting 500 error. Has it completely gone down?

I submitted a request on FB to join the group, but not even sure if that's still active...

I've been getting the 500 error message for over a month now. The last time I was able to access the Dish site was sometime in February. It would sure be a crying shame if it was down permanently because it is such a treasure trove of important info, and there was a very informative thread there by 3bees~1flower regarding a ButterEZ dupe she was working on and that I had been watching with great interest. I don't do FB, so I have no idea whether it's active or not. If you're able to join the FB group and are able to find out what's going on, could you let us know if it's a permanent thing?

IrishLass :)

...LabRat was a fount of wonderful scientific and cosmetic wisdom (being in the industry), but had so many negative run-ins with one of the bullies that he eventually went in and deleted a lot of his posts.
LabRat! That's who I've been trying to remember. The only reason I joined The Dish was to have access to the Files to snitch LabRat's contributions there. LOL We met on another forum and he invited me to join Soaper's Asylum which was kinda cool.

3 bees~1 flower (Carrie) -- love her -- was a member of the Liquid Soapers Group and introduced us to her GLS method, which was linked back to the Dish, if I remember correctly.

Feeling a bit nostalgic now. :cool:

I was a member over there too and loved all of the old information. I hope they do get it back up so it is all not lost.

It was very quiet over there before the site went down.

I checked the Soap Scent Review Board (SSRB) for updates on The Dish. It's been down about 8 weeks today according to the timeline provided by one of the SSRB posters. Apparently the service provider that hosts The Dish was sold to another company and The Dish's owner Celine has been having trouble getting tech support. No feedback on when (or even if) The Dish might be back online.

I also belonged to that forum for several years. There were three posters over that that I thought of as the Attack Pack. I will always respect Celine for her patience with me when she helped me with a skin serum. I participated in a lot of the co ops and online auctions but interactions just kept getting nastier and more confrontational that I just quit logging in. I enjoy it on this forum so much more.

The nastiness is all in the eye of the beholder on some things.
They can get nasty sometimes but it isn't as bad as some make it out to me.
I have been on the end of the 'stick' there and really, if I had studied more and searched more it would not have happened
Just don't read the train wrecks and most are fine.
Oh and just stay out of the OT section and most will be fine ;)

If they are that nasty I wonder why people would want to go back there.

Speaking for myself, it's because there are a few members of The Dish who are extremely knowledgeable and competent, and they have been willing to share insights and information that don't seem to exist on SMF. I have only posted a few times on The Dish, but I have spent hours lurking there to learn. Irish Lass mentioned several of these notable Dish members in an earlier post in this thread.

Latest posts

Back