The Dish Forum - problems?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT2au

You bet they die
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been trying to join The Dish Forum and am encountering trouble with their security device. It appears the device is no longer active so I can't complete my registration form. I have searched on their site map and have also tried on google but no where can I find contact details. Would someone who is a member of The Dish be willing to contact the adimins at The Dish please and see if they are aware of the issue? Below is a screen shot of what I see when I try to register.

Thanks

Kim

Capture.PNG

I hope you have tough skin if you post over there. There is a lot of great information there but I don't post over there as they kinda scare me. They don't mince words and have very strong opinions.

It's not that bad if you can just walk away from a conversation and can TAKE criticism.
Yes they 'tell it like it is" so yes, if you can't handle that, then maybe not for you. Just stay out of the OT section.

There used to be some trainwrecks but that doesn't happen much any more. many have left as the website is super slow. Even I don't go on much except to search.
There is no censorship there, there are Mods, but they are not babysitters and you can say what you want, but people will also tell you how they feel ;)

OH and speaking of searching, you had better done serious searching and studying before asking beginner questions. Because I bet everything has been asked there and they can be mean about not searching or just not answer you.

The people that are still there are pretty much the same people that have been there since 2002, which I think I was on but when they changed servers I think I got booted and had to rejoin. My profile says since 2005 but I am pretty sure I was before that.

Blast from the past, I haven't been to the Dish in eons!! (at least 8, if not more, years) Last time I was there I got a nasty virus on my computer that was directly related to that site. Haven't been there since, and it's sad to hear the maliciousness hasn't stopped over there. It's one thing to 'have a tough skin' and just walk away, however, when people are trying to learn, and the people there are just being nasty to be nasty, nope not the place for me.

There's a difference between tough but constructive criticism and verbal abuse. I've seen both at The Dish, and more of the second than I care to deal with. I lurk occasionally, but I don't post.

I'm sorry, Kim for not getting back with you. I'm normally very prompt at answering PMs. Your PM to me unfortunately got lost in the shuffle of a couple of rather insane, crazy weeks around here (not here on the forum, but 'here' as in on my homefront). No worries, though- things are thankfully settling back to a level of normalcy.

Although I've been a Dish member since about 2005, I rarely go there anymore except to research and sometimes answer a soap-related question or 2 if I happen to stumble upon any recent ones I'm able to lend an answer to while there, which in themselves are rare as hens teeth these days. It's been very quiet over there this whole past year...not many people posting anything, least of all anything soap-related I've noticed.

One definitely has to watch where one steps over there, for sure. I was on the receiving end of a caustic bit of tongue-lashing by a certain member once (as was my fellow modmin lsg) and learned very quickly who to steer clear of and what conversations to stay out of, but I've met some wonderful folks there as well. As long as one keeps their wits about them enough to avoid the 'land mines', there is a lot of great soaping wisdom to be gleaned.

IrishLass :)

T
I will.
I just sent a PM to Celene and TechSupport.

So will let you know if I hear anything
Thanks @Lin19687

My goodness, thank you for all the replies. @IrishLass , I am glad thing have settled down at home. Gee whiz though, it does sound like a heck of a site. Trouble is, people link to threads there but you can't read the posts unless you are a member. Sound like somewhere to lurk only!

Last edited by a moderator:
The tongue lashing doesn't stop at the dish. Some of the FB groups are the same. I lurk - I do not post or even answer a question. Everyone is the expert there. I've been making soap for close to 11 years. I know a lot. And with all that I know, I know nothing! And I am fine with that. I like that I can continually learn something. But it seems that ppl get offended easily on those groups if you tell them something contrary to what they think they know.

I have never experienced that here. I have gotten good sound advise. I have been here long enough to know who knows what and have the world of respect for their knowledge. I read many things here and if I have something to offer I do and if not I just read and learn. I have no ego here, nothing to prove and am not afraid to make a mistake. And frankly I have never seen a conversation that I thought got out of hand. That is when you know your in the right place. Thank you all for making this group a step above the fray!

The tongue lashing doesn't stop at the dish. Some of the FB groups are the same. I lurk - I do not post or even answer a question. Everyone is the expert there. I've been making soap for close to 11 years. I know a lot. And with all that I know, I know nothing! And I am fine with that. I like that I can continually learn something. But it seems that ppl get offended easily on those groups if you tell them something contrary to what they think they know.

I have never experienced that here. I have gotten good sound advise. I have been here long enough to know who knows what and have the world of respect for their knowledge. I read many things here and if I have something to offer I do and if not I just read and learn. I have no ego here, nothing to prove and am not afraid to make a mistake. And frankly I have never seen a conversation that I thought got out of hand. That is when you know your in the right place. Thank you all for making this group a step above the fray!

That is nice to hear :):dance::winner::tub::computerbath:

If you only want to read Soap stuff (not bath, body, market etc) then you can just read those as I don't think you need to be a member to read those.

I hear you there. I joined a FB group and was stunned at some of the rudeness. I haven't been on the receiving end myself but i have been the only patients, reasonable response in a question with 30 plus people responding. There is a lot of conflicting, confusing information out in google land, cant blame someone for asking a clarifying question.

Yes I learnt that lesson on the dish years ago. Scary stuff.
I joined a Facebook page just recently and got summarily raked over the coals on my first post - I was asking a question. I won’t be returning. You can sort of understand nastiness on an anonymous forum but on Facebook you are identified so it was a big surprise to me.

The thing about making soap is there are many ways to do it and everyone has different skin and different senses so what works for someone might not work for someone else. Hard to believe people can’t celebrate the differences or at least be civil.

There are some hot button topics on this forum but people here are pretty friendly I’ve found.

Last edited:
The Tallow Soapers group on FB has a kindly nature and most of the posts are useful and informative. The anti-animal-fat activists are quickly invited to moderate their tone or leave, and that rule helps to reduce the level of drama. I think Carol Isler is an admin there (and is also a member here) and she offers plenty of good advice.

If you want a low drama FB soaping group where you won't get your pedigree shoved down your throat for asking an honest question, Tallow Soapers is a good one to check out. It's the only soaping group on FB that I still belong to. I check out other FB groups from time to time, but end up unfollowing them due to the ongoing drama, willful incompetence, and bad advice. The FB platform seems to encourage that kind of thing, unfortunately. Level headed, science based, low drama groups seem to be the exception on FB rather than the rule.

@DeeAnna thanks for the FB group suggestion. That is one I had not heard of. I was kicked out of a group for "trolling" because I asked someone for credited sources, not a blog that linked to another blog that linked to another blog (and then I showed some credited sources that disputed her responses). The person didn't like being wrong, and contacted the admin. I was banned. [shrugs] I have better places to be, like here.

Latest posts

Back