The B word!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Cat Lady

Reaction score
Hi there
yep - Brexit!!Don't worry I'm not here to discuss politics - but it seems Brexit is going ahead.
I am just wondering how it will effect UK soap makers? At the moment our soaps have to undergo a cosmetic safety report and then get registered on the EU portal. At the moment nothing is really changing for a year during the transition period. However I'm wondering if anyone knows what the plans are for handmade cosmetics after 2021. Will it become less regulated? More regulated? Will we have a similar system? Will be transfer our soaps over from the EU portal to some sort of UK one? Do we carry on as normal in the mean time? Will those cosmetic safety reports still be valid - which are meant to last a lifetime and aren't cheap? I'm carrying on as normal but wondering if anyone knows what the future plans are?

Hello!
As far as I know (read it somewhere but don't have the reference now) the regulations will not change. We'll still be following the EU safety regulations and the certifications will still be valid. I think the same applies to regulations on food stuff.

Yes, I can't see it changing anytime soon as it would dilute consumer protection. Given we still need to trade with the EU, our products would need still need to meet their standards but I know I read that the Govt has suggested that they may not adhere to all regulations exports but at this stage, it's safe to say nothing is likely to change.

I think products now need to be registered on a UK portal rather than the EU one but (I read it somewhere) so that's worth investigating if you are selling.

I read that eventually they'll build a UK Portal. If you sell to EU though, the responsible person has to be based in EU, so what happens there is anyone's guess.

Latest posts

Back