SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the middle of uploading my photos for the entry thread when Hubby started moving furniture around and vacuuming and all kinds of activity that made it impossible for me to work on the entry. I'm irritated as hell right now because not only did I have to stop what I was doing and take my vacuum cleaner apart and try to fix it because it started smelling like it was burning. But the worst thing is he let Kitty Baby run out the door after dark. I'm so darned angry right now I can barely contain myself.

So I'll come back later and post here. I don't think it matters that I didn't get to post my entry, but I really wanted to at least do the write up and stuff. Ah well, I'll go sit outside in the cold in the dark and wait for her return. And watch for the foxes so I can scare them off if they come around.

I was in the middle of uploading my photos for the entry thread when Hubby started moving furniture around and vacuuming and all kinds of activity that made it impossible for me to work on the entry. I'm irritated as hell right now because not only did I have to stop what I was doing and take my vacuum cleaner apart and try to fix it because it started smelling like it was burning. But the worst thing is he let Kitty Baby run out the door after dark. I'm so darned angry right now I can barely contain myself.

So I'll come back later and post here. I don't think it matters that I didn't get to post my entry, but I really wanted to at least do the write up and stuff. Ah well, I'll go sit outside in the cold in the dark and wait for her return. And watch for the foxes so I can scare them off if they come around.
Oh im sorry to hear this. I hope little kitty returns safely, I have cats & one is an outdoor cat but is not out after dark' the times he decides to go roaming im setting on pins & needles tell he's back. Big deep breaths' & try not to get overly emotionally though its hard not too. I don't think the challenge has closed' you may have time to enter your soap. please keep us posted on your little kitty. 🤗💫

I am sorry that I did not make another attempt at an entry before the cut off. I just found out yesterday that my dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer and I have been trying to process that information since then. Good luck to the participants as there are some gorgeous entries this time around!

I am sorry that I did not make another attempt at an entry before the cut off. I just found out yesterday that my dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer and I have been trying to process that information since then. Good luck to the participants as there are some gorgeous entries this time around!
I'm so sorry to hear this! Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way for you, your dad and your family.

It’s a really fun technique and OPW is a really good vehicle for it. I want to do all the colors now.

A few tips. I kept adding a little bit of TD to lighten it but next
time I want to add uncolored batter instead and see what the result is like.

Next I’m going to do yellow. It’s my favorite color.
That’s helpful to know. I’m going to try it today. I’m making a series of soaps for a group of ladies, four of us, who met at Girl Scout summer camp in the 70s, and we are all 60 now. This soap will be the ocean ( the camp was on the ocean), so I’ll use blues or blue/greens. I wish I had a video of what you did! What was the texture of the trace? Looks like sort of gravy-ish? (Side thought, I wonder if anyone has developed a trace scale, 1-10, with descriptions of each texture. Wouldn’t that be helpful?)
I’m obsessed with this soap, I keep staring at it and seeing ocean waves. Really lovely.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry 🙏🏼 .

That’s helpful to know. I’m going to try it today. I’m making a series of soaps for a group of ladies, four of us, who met at Girl Scout summer camp in the 70s, and we are all 60 now. This soap will be the ocean ( the camp was on the ocean), so I’ll use blues or blue/greens. I wish I had a video of what you did! What was the texture of the trace? Looks like sort of gravy-ish? (Side thought, I wonder if anyone has developed a trace scale, 1-10, with descriptions of each texture. Wouldn’t that be helpful?)
I’m obsessed with this soap, I keep staring at it and seeing ocean waves. Really lovely.
Here’s the pouring container and the individual containers. You can see that the colors are almost identical. I was a lottle
Concerned that they wouldn’t be different enough to show up in the finished soap.
5DD810F4-E970-4C55-A2DD-17D2FD959164.jpeg
B774A61C-C480-4B6D-A656-D7F86A6D49FB.jpeg

I colored the batter green and split the darker colors in two containers. The batter on the left has added black oxide to make it a really dark green. And the one to the right of that has some of that batter mixed in.

Then I added some of the plain batter into one, added a little td to the main better, poured some of that, added a little more td, poured, added a little more td, until I had fully split the batter.

I did make some color adjustments. Then poured each into the pouring container. It was REALLY thick because of all the td I had added to adjust the color. But it actually came out nice in the soap. I moved slowly so that made a difference.

I want to do blue too. For that I think I’m going to make the batter and put half uncolored and then color the other half with blue. Instead of using td ill just add the uncolored batter. I watched a video of someone making an ombré soap using very little td. Or maybe I’ll add just a little to the uncolored batter.

I may do it today. I do want to start recording myself making soap but that sounds like a whole other headache. 😂

I'm so sorry.

My thoughts are with you and your family. Sending you big hugs...🥰

I have been lurking here with the non-entries. All of them are so fantastic. It really does make me wish that I had more experience in CP soaping, and had the nerve to try this one out. I keep saying "one of these days" but that never seems to happen around here. I love your detailed explanations and they really do get me enthused to try out more CP, so that one of these days I can enter. Enough that this time I am back to watching CP soaping videos from the beginning and a lot of the past challenge videos. Your enthusiasm is contagious! Congratulations to all that have tried. I love them all.

I have been lurking here with the non-entries. All of them are so fantastic. It really does make me wish that I had more experience in CP soaping, and had the nerve to try this one out. I keep saying "one of these days" but that never seems to happen around here. I love your detailed explanations and they really do get me enthused to try out more CP, so that one of these days I can enter. Enough that this time I am back to watching CP soaping videos from the beginning and a lot of the past challenge videos. Your enthusiasm is contagious! Congratulations to all that have tried. I love them all.
Thx for your kindness 🤗💫. On the next challenge jump right in' full heartily putting that fear behind you. even the advance soapers have big oops & floppers' no ones soap is perfect. Hope you decide to join the fun' in next months challenge.
🤗🙌🏼🧼💫✨.

I'm so sorry to see this, DKing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Dad.

@The_Phoenix I had imagined how you poured the lightest batter into the One-Wonder Pot, then add a bit of dark colour, pour again, and so on. But this is just a “faux hombre”, how “disappointing” ;)😍

On a serious note: is there a reason why you started with the dark colour and toned it down with TD, instead of starting with the light colour and putting increasing levels of green into it?

Here’s the pouring container and the individual containers. You can see that the colors are almost identical. I was a lottle
Concerned that they wouldn’t be different enough to show up in the finished soap.View attachment 57941View attachment 57942
I colored the batter green and split the darker colors in two containers. The batter on the left has added black oxide to make it a really dark green. And the one to the right of that has some of that batter mixed in.

Then I added some of the plain batter into one, added a little td to the main better, poured some of that, added a little more td, poured, added a little more td, until I had fully split the batter.

I did make some color adjustments. Then poured each into the pouring container. It was REALLY thick because of all the td I had added to adjust the color. But it actually came out nice in the soap. I moved slowly so that made a difference.

I want to do blue too. For that I think I’m going to make the batter and put half uncolored and then color the other half with blue. Instead of using td ill just add the uncolored batter. I watched a video of someone making an ombré soap using very little td. Or maybe I’ll add just a little to the uncolored batter.

I may do it today. I do want to start recording myself making soap but that sounds like a whole other headache. 😂
Thank you for that guidance and the photos. Lovely colors! Good to know it was as thick as it was because I love how it looks in the soap.

Entry thread is now closed! (Sorry I'm running behind, we had stuff come up last night so I wasn't anywhere near wifi much less a laptop!) If you are signed up in this signup thread, you will get a PM with a password secure voting survey, regardless if you had an entry or not. Voting will be open from May 29-31, 2021 and the winner will be announced on June 1, 2021 (or after all votes are received, whichever comes first).. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Edited to refer to correct thread.

So I was greatly inspired by @The_Phoenix ombre soap and I’m itching to make soap... so I’m going to try it today with my green tea powder. I change the super fat in my recipe from 5% to 3% just to see the difference... anything I should prepare for?

I’m kinda excited to vote! There are so many beautiful soaps to choose from!!!

I'm so sorry to hear this, Dee. I will keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Back