Superfatting & curing times for Pine Tar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goji_fries

Reaction score
Anything really different in your own experiences? Did you have to superfat less with pine tar? Were the curing times the same? Any oils work better in combination with PT for you?

This scent drives me insane and I am reminded about making a batch or 10 but don't want to blow it. Thank you for your inputs. :wave:

The PT is unavoidably going to make the soap somewhat softer, so I really keep that in mind when I formulate a recipe. I start with a recipe that makes a hard, long lasting bar -- a tallow/palm/lard based recipe is good with modest dollops of coconut oil and olive. Don't need the cleansing or bubbles to be sky high.

I don't use a high superfat, again to avoid building in more softness. I superfat at 3-5%, which is my norm. If using PT soap for skin issues, a high superfat may not be a good thing, so that's another issue one might want to keep in mind.

You can reduce the soft oils as The Gent suggests, or simply reduce all the fats by the % you want as PT. Example: recipe calls for 1000 g fats. Use 100 g of PT and 900 g of fats.

Be careful unmolding due to the softness. Cure time is roughly the same as for any other soap -- at least 4-6 weeks.

The PT is unavoidably going to make the soap somewhat softer, so I really keep that in mind when I formulate a recipe. I start with a recipe that makes a hard, long lasting bar -- a tallow/palm/lard based recipe is good with modest dollops of coconut oil and olive. Don't need the cleansing or bubbles to be sky high.

I don't use a high superfat, again to avoid building in more softness. I superfat at 3-5%, which is my norm. If using PT soap for skin issues, a high superfat may not be a good thing, so that's another issue one might want to keep in mind.

You can reduce the soft oils as The Gent suggests, or simply reduce all the fats by the % you want as PT. Example: recipe calls for 1000 g fats. Use 100 g of PT and 900 g of fats.

Be careful unmolding due to the softness. Cure time is roughly the same as for any other soap -- at least 4-6 weeks.

What's a typical amount for PT?

The other currently active thread made it seem like a much much higher percentage of PT was being used.

Cheers-
Dave

Pine tar in soap typically can range from just a few percent -- maybe 3-5% -- up to 20%. (Give a link to the "other thread" perhaps, so we have a clue what you're talking about?) At 20% or more, the soap becomes increasingly soft regardless of the base soap recipe.

Pine tar in soap typically can range from just a few percent -- maybe 3-5% -- up to 20%. (Give a link to the "other thread" perhaps, so we have a clue what you're talking about?) At 20% or more, the soap becomes increasingly soft regardless of the base soap recipe.

I'm considering making some PT soap and am curious ...

First post of this thread.

Latest posts

Back