Pine Tar Soap Tips and Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PINE TAR SOAP TIPS & TECHNIQUE

BUY PINE TAR online or locally wherever they sell veterinary care products for horses and other farm animals.

CAUTION: Pine tar is flammable and good ventilation should be used when making pine tar soap to avoid respiratory irritation.

Treat Pine Tar as an additive as it has only a negligible SAP Value. Soapcalc.com lists Pine Tar but it does not factor into the final calculation.
FYI: NaOH SAP Value: .043 - .0603.

LYE SOLUTION: Mix and refrigerate lye solution overnight.
Use full water and/or aloe vera juice.
7% SF.

OILS: Mix the night before soaping.
80% Your favorite basic soap formula.
20% Pine Tar
Warm can of pine tar on a hot plate. Melt oils. Add warmed pine tar, fragrance, and ROE (optional). SB to mix well. Let set overnight at room temp. Get mold ready. Soap the next morning.

Soaping cool like this will slow down the seizing associated with Pine Tar. Work quickly. Stir with a spoon to combine the oils & lye solution, then stick blend on lowest speed or short bursts to blend thoroughly. If it seizes, wait about 2 minutes or so and try stirring again. Just be sure your batch is well mixed, then quickly turn it into the prepared mold and smooth the top.

Cure: 3 - 5 weeks. Makes a very hard bar, long-lasting, dark brown; creamy white lather; very soothing. Natural scent is harsh but mellows as it cures. (If you sub goat's milk, be prepared to banish the soap to an unused room while it cures. The scent of milk and pine tar curing together can bring tears to your eyes!).

EO BLENDS FOR PINE TAR SOAP

1 Juniper : 2 Cedarwood

1 Russian Fir : 2 Lavender or Lavandin

1:1:1 Lavender, Tea Tree, Oakmoss (10% in jojoba)

4 Lavandin, 2 Peru Balsam, 1 Russian Fir, 1 Sweet Birch
(optional, historically sweet birch is helpful to problem skin, but must be used with extreme caution.)
With the Juniper Cedarwood blend. Cedarwood atlas or Texas ?

Which ever you have on hand. I prefer Virginia.
I just came up with a 20% pine tar recipe . I normally use 10 % .

I didn’t put the super fat to 7 yet . Was wondering why you super fat the bar to 7% ?

Was wondering your thoughts ?

Attachments

• C97462D1-921F-4608-8D84-2D7AF4F592EE.jpeg
    C97462D1-921F-4608-8D84-2D7AF4F592EE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I would like to make a Smokey pine tar natural scent with the pine tar . So I want to try a 20 % .

What are you thoughts on that recipe ?
My thoughts are that 20% pt soap takes forever to cure without SL or plenty of salt, but then again last time i made pt i didn't add nearly enough salt. Last time I made pt soap I screwed it up royally. It was all I could go to scoop the soap by hand and force it into the mold. I gave that whole 20 batch to some Buddhist monks.

I once did a 20% pt batch that I didn't screw up, but will likely never go above 10% again bc it's just not necessary.
For smokey try adding some pepper or vetiver eo.

On slightly related subject I've been making a 4% pt-olive solution for about a year now. I filter the pt w a coffee filter & then put in a spray bottle. Comes in super handy for anything skin-related.

Last edited:
My 20% PT recipe has lots of tallow so it is not soft at all, doesn't require SL or salt, and doesn't take any longer than normal to cure.

55% tallow
20% CO
20% pine tar
5% castor oil

2% SF
2% each (by weight of oils) sorbitol and sodium citrate

This is one of the few recipes where I don't use 40% lye concentration. The extra water from a 33% lye concentration helps keep this fluid long enough to pour. I use Ellie's Everyday method of melting all oils and pine tar together, then adding room temp MB lye along with the additional water used to dissolve my additives, then hand-stirring just to emulsion.

Latest posts

Back