Sugar tips

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking about trying a new bar soap and adding sugar to it to improve the lather.
So, my first question is: is it worth it? Does it really better tha amount of foam produced or is it simply a legend? What are your experiences?

And obviously the second question is: any tips for trying it? I found in other threads that I should add 1 teaspoon of sugar for every pound of fat, by diluting it in the lye water, correct?
Thanks in advance.

It does help in my experience, no matter what form (sugar, honey, etc.) you add it in. You can dilute it in the water before you add your lye, or use the split water method (dissolve your lye in equal amount of water, then dissolve the sugar in the remaining water, then mix). Just make sure you keep the solution pretty cool, otherwise it can scorch.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I go as high as 1 tablespoon per pound of oils. I thoroughly dissolve the sugar in water before adding the lye.

I add sugar, and I think it gives the lather a boost. I warm some of my batch water and dissolve the sugar completely, add it back to the batch water and then add the lye. I've never had sugar scorch.

I use sucrose or sorbitol at 5% of my oil weight and add it to the lye water before lye to dissolve completely, then add in lye. It does make a difference and as said sugar can be in many forms, honey, milks, sorbitol, sucrose etc.

I use sucrose or sorbitol at 5% of my oil weight and add it to the lye water before lye to dissolve completely, then add in lye. It does make a difference and as said sugar can be in many forms, honey, milks, sorbitol, sucrose etc.
Can I ask if you are using sorbitol 60% solution or powdered sorbitol? You mention dissolving it so I am guessing you are using powdered if so that is a whopping large amount and sorbitol is expensive. I use it in all batches of soap at a rate of 1.1% total batch weight or 2% Oil weight. At this rate it makes a significant difference. Of course, I sell so do my best to keep the cost down while keeping quality up. Have you tried different percentages? I think for my recipes it would make the lather too thick.

I am using the powder and yes 5% in sorbitol is quite a lot, I followed on in the same way and percentage as I always have with my sugar percentage. I have not tried varying as I have always like the results but I may do that with sorbitol as I suspect it could indeed be lowered quite a bit to get a decent difference in lather, although I do HP and there is a little help I think in the fluidity with added sugar at 5%, so its duel purpose for me. I do not sell so cost is only proportionate to what suits me so I have plenty of of options there. I have not had any problems with a too thick lather.

I am using the powder and yes 5% in sorbitol is quite a lot, I followed on in the same way and percentage as I always have with my sugar percentage. I have not tried varying as I have always like the results but I may do that with sorbitol as I suspect it could indeed be lowered quite a bit to get a decent difference in lather, although I do HP and there is a little help I think in the fluidity with added sugar at 5%, so its duel purpose for me. I do not sell so cost is only proportionate to what suits me so I have plenty of of options there. I have not had any problems with a too thick lather.
I had a feeling you do not sell, because it would become too expensive very quickly. My two main base recipes give a thick creamy lather and I find the Sorbitol makes it even thicker adding in bubbles once a little more water is added to the mix. That is why I asked about it getting really thick. When we make it just for ourselves we have a lot more leverage and I love Sorbitol over sugar.

Actually its early days using sorbitol for me so I need more time to play. I dont like too much CO as I have extremely dry skin so anything which will boost up my lather without using stripping oils is most welcome, I like the idea of thick lather but have not yet got that except using stearic in the mix.

Thanks everyone, I've just made a small batch following your instructions. I used normal sugar,at 5% of the fat weight. I diluted it in the water and when it was completely dissolved I added the lye. Now I've just to wait after the curing time to see the result!

Thanks everyone, I've just made a small batch following your instructions. I used normal sugar,at 5% of the fat weight. I diluted it in the water and when it was completely dissolved I added the lye. Now I've just to wait after the curing time to see the result!
Did you CP or HP? If you use CP, did you gel it? I had a real bad experience last time and have stayed away from sugar since.

I used HP and I didn't notice anything wrong. What could the problem be?

Did you CP or HP? If you use CP, did you gel it? I had a real bad experience last time and have stayed away from sugar since.

Dont forget sugars heat things up which can cause problems in CP unless you are aware of that or control it.

Back