Help! Can this mess be rebatched

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorJRo

Reaction score
Have been away from making soap for 20 years. Just got started back. I’ve made several batches that are on the rack to cure and I’m so excited to start using them! But. Then I decided I wanted to make goats milk soap. 🤦🏻‍♀️

16 oz olive oil
16 oz coconut oil
4.8 oz lye
10 oz goats milk frozen into cubes

I had a woman with goats that was going to give me fresh milk to use but then her goat had triples and she couldn’t spare any. So in my excitement I just bought a can from the grocery. No problem. Mixed it up poured it into the mold. Put it into the fridge. Got it out. Let it set. Went to cut and it was horrible. Then is when I realized….the milk from the grocery is condensed 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️. Am I correct in thinking I would need to add water and double the oils to try to save this? Or should I just chalk it up to a learning experience? I hate the thought of throwing all of it away but as is it’s useless.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Not sure what you mean by "horrible." Please give more useful information about the problem. A photo would also be helpful

Not sure what you mean by "horrible." Please give more useful information about the problem. A photo would also be helpful
It was so crumbly and broke apart. I got mad at myself and broke every single piece 😂. It was in the fridge for 6 hours then I pulled it out and set it ont the counter till late the next day before trying to cut. It does zap. But only in the crumbly spots 🤷🏻‍♀️. I had some on small silicone molds that were pretty but they zapped bad. Oh. The dark spots r poppy seeds. It would seem to be cutting fine then it would just crumble

Attachments

• IMG_7277.jpeg
    IMG_7277.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Your recipe seems to be fine with 32.5% lye concentration and a 5% SF.
I think the issue may be the oils themselves with 50% each CO and OO. My experience with high OO and CO soaps has been to cut as soon as the soap is set rather than later, and then give the cut bars time to finish saponifying. I would let these chunks sit for another day or so, and see if they still zap. If they do, then you may have a scale issue and the soap is lye heavy.

I just spotted your comment about the cavity mold soaps still zapping... now I'm leaning heavily towards a scale/mismeasurement issue, possibly even your lye was not fully dissolved with the frozen GM.

Since you accidentally used condensed GM instead of regular GM, there may not have been enough water to fully dissolve your NaOH. My personal experience is that once you have undissolved NaOh mixed in with saponified soap, it is very difficult to ensure that all of the NaOH actually gets dissolved in the additional liquid that you would use to rebatch the soap. There are always some bits left here and there in the completed soap. So while I rarely recommend tossing soap, this might be the time that you want to do that.

Of course, I can't say for sure that you do have undissolved NaOH. So if you want to try rebatching, you can grate everything up and attempt to rebatch it with additional water. There is no reason to add any more oil, however. You have enough oil and SF in the recipe already.

I suppose it won’t hurt to try to rebatch and see what happens. At least I will only be loosing more water and not more oils if I end up tossing. Suggestions on how much water would be helpful if you don’t mind. Thank you all so much. I am learning more each time. And things seem so different than it was 20 years ago 😂. At least there is more information out there now and YouTube so a person can watch what things should look like

And I am waiting on a new scale to arrive 🎉

Last edited:
Ended up rebatching. Grated everything. Drizzled water on like salad dressing. The plopped it all back into the molds. Took out the smaller silicone mold soap this morning. It’s still a little soft but it doesn’t zap! 🎉. Loaf is still a bit soft and I sure don’t want to mess it up so letting it set. The top of it doesn’t zap 🤷🏻‍♀️. I am very please so far in how they look!!

And. I did check a few things on my scale I had used. It was accurate 👍🏻.

Thanks to all that took the time to respond. I love doing this again.

Oh. Correct me if I’m wrong. If I unmold a soap and it kinda zapps, let it set a few days then Check again? If it doesn’t then it’s ok??

Attachments

• IMG_7285.jpeg
    IMG_7285.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7286.jpeg
    IMG_7286.jpeg
    949.9 KB · Views: 0
Ended up rebatching. Grated everything. Drizzled water on like salad dressing. The plopped it all back into the molds. Took out the smaller silicone mold soap this morning. It’s still a little soft but it doesn’t zap! 🎉. Loaf is still a bit soft and I sure don’t want to mess it up so letting it set. The top of it doesn’t zap 🤷🏻‍♀️. I am very please so far in how they look!!

And. I did check a few things on my scale I had used. It was accurate 👍🏻.

Thanks to all that took the time to respond. I love doing this again.

Oh. Correct me if I’m wrong. If I unmold a soap and it kinda zapps, let it set a few days then Check again? If it doesn’t then it’s ok??
Welcome back to soaping! With CP soap, yes you are correct about the zap test. With rebatched or HP soap I’m not sure. About the zap test, if everything goes as planned you really don’t need to zap test. That’s generally reserved for when something goes wrong. The reason for waiting a few days is that saponification continues during this time.

Latest posts

Back