Stick blender, advice & help me choose

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delicious

Reaction score
Today I went to town to see the prices for stick blenders. I was almost going to leave with the cheapest when I noticed the difference in Watts between them all... The cheapest is 200W and the most expensive is 600W. So I wondered if the watts affect the spead and if so if the 200W would do the job properly.

Then I wondered if you have any recommendations before I buy one.
Is it a good thing to have 2 or 3 speeds?
Is it best to have holes in the shield or is it best for it to be in one whole solid piece?
I've read that it's good to have the stick detachable.

In the store there is:
- Store brand "cheap" stick blender (200W), 24 USD
- Braun hand blender Multiquick 3 MR300 Soup (450W), 47 USD
And these, but they're out of the question price-wise (though they have added accessories compared to the others):
- Philips HR1362 Hand Blender (600W), 62 USD
- Philips HR1364 Hand Blender (600W), 74 USD

The cheapest, even though it's still pricey, doesn't seem like it with withstand a long time, so I was wondering if the Braun is worth it.

Any advice?

Hi There,
I literally just bought a replacement stick blender today. The one i have has lasted me for close to 2 years and I have been very happy with it. It's a 200W blender with a detachable plastic housing. The reason I am replacing it is that the plastic shaft has finally cracked (i am pretty rough on it though and it gets ALOT of use). It ran be about $22usd and the brand is Hamilton Beach.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-59 ... 53&sr=8-10

that's the amazon link if you wanted to read about it.

cheers!
Erin

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the cheap ones from either WalMart of KMart. Work fine and I've not had to replace any. (I have an extra one for a spare, just in case.)
They ran about $10 - $12.

Where do you live in South America?

I'm wondering if mail order might be cheaper, even with the postage?

I got a Cuisinart stainless steel with detachable unit for $25 from Amazon. It's a workhorse.

I have 3 but my favorite by far is the cheap Sunbeam. It's housing is all one piece with no seams. I don't like the powerful ones cuz I get bubbles too easily.

BakingNana said:
I have 3 but my favorite by far is the cheap Sunbeam. It's housing is all one piece with no seams. I don't like the powerful ones cuz I get bubbles too easily.

Oh my gosh, I'm so thankful that you wrote this!
I've tried every precaution and have done everything prescribed to get rid of bubbles but they seem impossible for me to avoid.
I have only used an Oster, which I think is pretty powerful.
Can't wait to try something less powerful and cross my fingers. Yay!!
Thanks for putting out that bit of info :)

judymoody said:
Where do you live in South America?

I'm wondering if mail order might be cheaper, even with the postage?

I got a Cuisinart stainless steel with detachable unit for $25 from Amazon. It's a workhorse.
Maybe, but it'll just make for a longer wait (I'm sort of impatient having read so much on the subject, can't wait any longer). I'm going to check a larger supermarket on Friday, so I might get one then.

Just a fun hack:

I told my hubby that I was going to buy a stick blender and he asked how much it would cost. He was like "eh, that's pricey".

I replied (jokingly) that he has all HIS toys to play with (speaking about his tools - he was out in the back building a desk and shelves for the house), and that I want to have fun too!

Then he said: yeah, we have all theses toys and we can use them - to make a blender for the soap.

His idea was (cause I'm still going to get that stick blender) to attach a whisk to the end of the drill and drill the soap.

I bet it would work. It might splash more than a stick blender so if anyone does try I would recommend using a tall jug/bowl for mixing, and to use caution and common sense.
We were going to try, but the handle of the whisk we have is like over 1cm thick and doesn't fit inside the drill.

kudos judy i was JUST gonna say that! lol.... yeah a nice drill will work if you have one laying around and then you dont have to put out any money... :)

Ok, so I ended up getting the cheapest available (12 USD). It's a 170W blender in one solid block (end not detachable) and only one speed.

I used it today for my first batch of soap (castile).
The blender got really hot while using it.
I used it uncontinuously for 15 minutes and at the end I could see small wisps of smoke emerging from somewhere in the machine.

I guess the smoke is not normal, but is the heating up normal in "good" blenders?

LadyM said:
How long did you use it for, continuously?
Well, I would turn it on for 20 sec, then turn it off again for some 5-10 seconds.
I did something like that all along. I would say that the longest time with it on continuously would be one or two minutes.

I had read that it helps avoid overheating the motor and I feared just that from the start.

I never run mine as long as one to two minutes, usually just five to ten seconds in bursts. That seems like quite a lot over the course of 15 minutes. But maybe others will have some specific advice!

LadyM said:
I never run mine as long as one to two minutes, usually just five to ten seconds in bursts. That seems like quite a lot over the course of 15 minutes. But maybe others will have some specific advice!

I have to agree. Running any SB that long is probably going to overheat it, I'm afraid. I also only use it in short bursts. Hope your motor is OK!

Back