Stick blender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishgem29

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering what type of stick blender everyone uses. I have one but it's about ready to die and I wanted one that is detachable for easier cleaning. What type would you recommend? Thanks

Hi. I was wondering what type of stick blender everyone uses. I have one but it's about ready to die and I wanted one that is detachable for easier cleaning. What type would you recommend? Thanks

I have a Proctor-Silex. The shank isn't detachable, but it's sealed, and the area around the blade has a wide enough bell that it's easy to clean.

Durability so far has been excellent.

I have a cuisinart, you can find pretty good sales if you look. In my opinion it's important that the detachable bottom part is stainless steel, not plastic. And that the bottom of the bell is "scalloped" and not flat, for better burping and mixing. Two speeds are nice as well. Some stick lenders have a hollow space through the middle where the shaft goes to the blade, that isn't good, it can suck air in.

I also have a proctor silex that I got from amazon for $13. Its lasted me 2 years now. Its not detachable but its pretty easy to clean. Might be a good back up choice for the Cuisinart or if you're looking for a cheap one.

I have a Proctor Silex SB from Wally World and a Cuisinart from Amazon. Both have a detachable stainless steel head, and I agree with the others that these features -- detachable and stainless steel -- are absolutely non negotiable. You can put a detachable head through the dishwasher. You can detach the head and leave it standing in your batter if you want. The stainless steel is lye and heat resistant.

The PS was the first one I got, and I liked it pretty well. If you have a limited budget, it is a good machine for the right price. The bell on the mix head is like a bowl shape with no scallops or perforations, so the bell tends to vacuum itself down to the bottom of the container if I put the bell straight down while mixing. This SB really needs to be at a slight angle from vertical to work right.

About a year ago, I treated myself to a Cuisinart. The scalloped base of the Cuisinart prevents the bowl from vacuuming itself to the container and the scallops let the soap batter (or lotion) mix better regardless of the position of the SB. This one can sometimes feel a little too powerful, but I've learned to just "bump" it on and off if I need to reduce the intensity of the mixing.

I now reach for the Cuisinart pretty much all the time. I occasionally use the PS if I have a very small amount of lotion to stick blend -- the lower mixing intensity of the PS can be a real advantage for small batches. If I had to pick just one, however, I'd go with the Cuisinart.

I also have a fancy Bamix stick blender. After using it for a batch or two of soap, I decided this one is for food only. The bell is not stainless steel; it's some kind of cast metal that discolors with exposure to lye. Also there are rubber seals inside the mix head, and I fear they are not suitable for being around lye either. And the cost is an issue -- I won't feel bad if the PS or the Cuisinart die early deaths, but the Bamix had better be running strong for decades, as much as it cost my DH a few years ago when he got it for me as a gift.

I've also got a Cuisinart and love it. The little cup it comes with is perfect for making lotions. The only thing is that it normally leave my dishes for a few days so I can scrape them instead of putting everything down my drain (on septic). I have to remember to fully clean my SB when I make soap since it is a pita to clean if it has hardened soap beneath the blades.

I got my Cuisinart at Costco for 20.00. Not sure if they still carry them for that price though. I bought 2. I love the mixing cup and the whisk part for small batch whipped butters or lotion.

agree, Cuisinart at Costco. the pkg I got also had a chopper that you could use in place of the stick, it seems like the price was $25 or so. I have seen them there a couple of times. I picked one up the first time I saw it, and loved it so the next time I saw them I got 2 more. I have them stashed, I would never want to be without one.

^^^Same. I bought two last year from Costco with the wisk and measuring cup. I bought one for the woman who taught me how to soap but she hasn't wanted it yet so by default it's my back up.

I found a couple of old Braun ones at GoodWill for $5. They work fine but probably not the easiest to clean since it doesn't detach.

Latest posts

Back