Soap for washing dishes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatureandNurture

Reaction score
Can bar soap be used for dishwashing? I only thought about it because I've been making soap-saver bags as gifts and was thinking it would be great to use the whole thing for dishes. Is there any reason it can't be used?

I've been using a couple of my earliest soaps for dishes for a couple months now and I really like it. They don't produce the clouds of bubbles like commercial dish detergent does, but they've worked just fine on the dishes so it's win-win. I'm using up some of the painfully ugly batches and not spending money on Dawn. :)

only tip i can give you is - make sure that sponge you use is clean, because dirty or oily sponge will not make any bubbles..
and i love it much more than dish detergent, it doesn't dry my hands :)

p. s. just a funny remark for NatureAndNutrure, when i look at your username fast, i always read it as NatureAndTorture :)

Interesting thread. What kind of EO would be ok for this - citrus ones maybe?

I use my scraps, you know, the bits and pieces that fall off when you cut the soap or from the mess I make when I mold (there seems to always be a little left over after I scrape the cp) or any that don't meet my quality standards when I cut and want to rebatch. When my soap bag (mine are knitted) gets empty I just refill it from my re-batch box so, depending on which box I grab from (scented or unscented) I'll either get an interesting "new" scent or no scent. I do the same in my shower. No point in wasting the scaps, I mean, that IS after all the point of a soap saver bag :D

I think a citrus would be wonderful though I've not made any as yet.

:?: soap saver bag? i just googled it.. i think an old, never used, wool sock will do just fine. oh, i'm now even gonna love dish washing - it was very hard to do it with the ordinary sponge.. thanks for the info :wink:

Sometimes I'll add the rinsings from a day old soap pot to a sinkful of water & use it but I need to rinse. Oh,and beware floral FO's,hot water & plastic! That smell gets in & never wants to leave! :roll:

I grate it and melt it with water and add a little bit of glycerin and sweet orange essential oil(this helps with the grease), thats how I get liquid dish washing soap and it doesnt dry out my hands :)

Oh, good idea guys... I have a super harsh batch of soap and I've been wondering what to do with it other than laundry... here we go.

Back