How to add mica color to hot process soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joy Wolff

Reaction score
I tried mica yesterday in my HP soap. I diluted it with rubbing alcohol, as I had googled it, for soap. Can't say much color came out of it. Is there a better way to use mica in HP soap? I used a deep blue mica, and it came out with a very light baby blue in spots, even though, I thoroughly mixed it in, right before I put the soap into the molds. I like the colors in mica, but not sure I'm doing it right?

Are you sure your particular mica is suitable for CP and HP soap? Most of the micas on Amazon or in the local craft stores are not, and the suggestion to use alcohol is a hint that it is for M&P. You are fortunate that you added it after the cook, since using alcohol in uncooked soap batter will make it seize. For CP and HP, try mixing it in a bit of oil.

What colors were your oils to start? If you used any TD to lighten the batter, that will make any color added later more pastel. Also, how much mica did you use? To achieve deep blue, I have to use a lot, like 1 Tbsp PPO.

I didn't measure the mica...probably used about a 1/4 teaspoon. That could be the issue. So: use some of the oils to dissolve the mica? Can I add it as it cooks? or should I wait until the end? I am really clueless about this. I do use herbs too for color, but I just love to experiment!

soap.jpg

The orange is tumeric. I divided the HP soap into three containers. The blue mica one, the tumeric one, and a third Green herb one...They were spoonfuls in the mold...I think I don't know how to do this yet. but I think they are still pretty, and they smell great! I've watched videos on youtube....not there yet! But learning! 🥰

I tried mica yesterday in my HP soap. I diluted it with rubbing alcohol, as I had googled it, for soap. Can't say much color came out of it. Is there a better way to use mica in HP soap? I used a deep blue mica, and it came out with a very light baby blue in spots, even though, I thoroughly mixed it in, right before I put the soap into the molds. I like the colors in mica, but not sure I'm doing it right?
If you add mica to a white base it will be a pastel colour. If you add to a clear base it will be a more vibrant (clear) colour.

Back